Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like Ponsdale, so now I don’t like you.

Only I have never liked you, so perhaps now I like you but don’t like Ponsdale? This board is a minefield.

dhMeAzK.gif

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this thread from demonland but a poster called fr_ap has access to some handy AFL stats and shared some data
The stuff about Brayshaw is interesting. Obviously had a great 2018 playing out of the middle, this year we had kennedy harris take centre bounces instead and gave Brayshaw tagging roles instead of Harmes (or even Viney) who we knew could play those roles well. Might explain why he'd mentally checked out in the 2nd half of the season.

Don't buy the stuff about mcdonald being crippled by Hogan's loss... unfortunately tommy just had a (really) s**t year. Couldn't mark, couldn't kick, had crappy service from whatever passed as our midfield, ended up with zero confidence and then copped an LTI.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
also fu** the injuries excuse, we had a half decent team by the end of the year and we still played like absolute arse. the coaching was s**t.

Yep. We did have injuries over the course of the year, but we never looked liked working our way out of the rut we were in. No inspiration from the coaches and no ticker from the players.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The stuff about Brayshaw is interesting. Obviously had a great 2018 playing out of the middle, this year we had kennedy harris take centre bounces instead and gave Brayshaw tagging roles instead of Harmes (or even Viney) who we knew could play those roles well. Might explain why he'd mentally checked out in the 2nd half of the season.

Don't buy the stuff about mcdonald being crippled by Hogan's loss... unfortunately tommy just had a (really) s**t year. Couldn't mark, couldn't kick, had crappy service from whatever passed as our midfield, ended up with zero confidence and then copped an LTI.

I'd take most of those stats with a massive grain of salt, as the title stated; lies, damn lies blah blah blah.

I think losing Hogan was always going to have an impact, purely because of his running capability created a difficult match up for the opposition, i said similar s**t last year. But connecting poor performances to solely losing Hogan is incredibly simplistic because it ignores game plan issues, fitness issues, issues with failing to adapt to the new rules such as 6/6/6 and the new runner rules, injuries etc

The midfield stuff is a massive concern, my arm chair interpretation is that we utterly failed managing the midfield structure this year, but i don't think that it's a real shock to anyone. Sadly a tough decision on Jones will have to be made in 2020, he can't be taking the position of one of our younger insiders. It would be great to get him 14 games but where to play him...

The Melksham stats were surprising

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
There’s no excuse for Weidemann not to kick 30-40 goals next year
What about if he is kidnapped by redneck survivalists and chained in a basement for the year as a sex slave or food source after the alien takeover?

Back