Politics The LNP Welfare Card: Corruption disguised as philanthropy!

Remove this Banner Ad

So long as Scotty's mates are sipping bourbon and eating caviar on the decks of their 70 foot cruisers, secure in the knowledge that the 6 billion smakeroos the taxpayer gifts them every year is safe, then all is well. The taxpayer is more concerned with kicking the living daylights out of the unemployed and blaming them for the recession than worrying about handing over $6,000,000,000 of their hard earned to those who pay no tax and are on incomes that the vast majority of us can only dream of. Are you as upset about those people as you are about people in their late 40's and 50's who have Buckley's chance of getting a job who reject the idea of being humiliated in order to receive such a paltry amount that it means they have to live like paupers?

It would be poetic justice if the taxpayers who thought like this joined the ranks of the unemployed over the coming year or so.

Are you as upset about the 7% of the extremely well off in this country who get a cash hand out, a present, a gift of $6 billion per year from the tax payer; YOUR money, out of YOUR pocket even thought these rich mongrels who laze away their days on their luxury yachts pay not one brass razoo in tax? Hey? Is that OK with you?

Tampons were exempted from the GST on the 1st of January this year after an 18 year campaign and it was only because the Coalition were dragged screaming and kicking to this position after Morrison had described Labor’s announcement of abolishing the GST on tampons as “cynical exercises” and the former prime minister, Tony Abbott, saying on 2GB that “Once you start having these sorts of exemptions – where does it end?”.

Up until January this year, tampons were considered a luxury. Is this the type of luxury you're talking about? How about someone buying a beer at the pub? Is that a luxury that should only be afforded to those who don't receive Newstart and what happens when these people become desperate for food or money or shelter, or for drugs or alcohol? I'll tell you what happens, desperate times call for desperate measures and the old, the infirmed, the normal everyday person gets mugged, stabbed, broken into, killed and what's the answer then? Blame the symptom, not the cause! Moronic, lazy fixes like put 'em in jail and throw away the key; yep, that'll fix the problem!

Alcohol and drug addiction is terrorism and it is by far, the most insipid and dangerous thing happening in our society and it needs to be tackled by those who have studied and spent a lifetime in the drug rehabilitation sphere and it is to those people we should turn to in order to start to eradicate the drug scourge and to tackle alcoholism, not to the Morrison's and Bernardi's of this world who have absolutely no idea of what life is like in the real world.

Treating welfare recipients as suspected druggies and alchies is a disgrace. It is demeaning and does absolutely nothing to help nor inspire those who do not have jobs. We are entering a recession and this disgrace that Morrison and his mob of snobs want to expand will lead to violence and crime but that's OK for Scotty because he needs scapegoats and diversions whilst Australia goes down the gurgler.

So long as Scotty's mates are sipping cognac and eating caviar on the decks of their 70 foot cruisers, secure in the knowledge that the 6 billion smakeroos the taxpayer gifts them every year is safe, then all is well. The taxpayer is more concerned with kicking the living daylights out of the unemployed and blaming them for the recession than worrying about handing over $6,000,000,000 of their hard earned to those who pay no tax and are on incomes that the vast majority of us can only dream of. Are you as upset about those people as you are about people in their late 40's and 50's who have Buckley's chance of getting a job and who reject the idea of being humiliated in order to receive such a paltry amount that it means they have to live like paupers?
That's 1,000 words of far left wing crap.

Cashless card is a scam like the water by back rort. That's a matter of public record.

If you gave the unemployed half of what the national party owned company is getting per person, you would take alot of pressure of public housing and charities. They would be able to Afford private rental and live in areas where they can find work.

In fact, you would providing economic stimulas to poor areas.

You would take alot of pressure of police and courts, child protection authorities.

The world took notice what swan did when he raised the pension at the start of the last crash known as the gfc. When he paid everyone on centerlink a bonus of 1000 dollars. It was a key tactic in propelling our economy to number one in the world.

Having said all that, ice use destroys poor people. If we instead invested in the people and not national party businesses, there would be more time for police to attack ice dealing.

Pot is getting legalised all around the world, so if you think testing for this is helping, then you're ****ed in the head.

Poor people can't afford coke and most addicted to heroin don't get centerlink anyway. Most are females who Street walk to fund the habit

And ice, well you're most likely to be a tradie or shift worker, next is the single Mum with a job.

I like the idea in principle but there are so many flaws.
How do people pay bills online?
Where will the urine tests take place and are they private?
And will people just leave a location that enforces this test?
Will they be tracked?
This is like being the eye in the sky from big government !

That being said, making welfare recipients use a debit card to make most of their purchases might well make it harder, not easier, for responsible recipients to live on Newstart in rural/regional areas because I've been told that rural/regional folk tend to use farmers markets, rather than supermarkets, to buy fruits/vegetables because they're cheaper. I doubt that farmers markets are able to accept debit cards - plus not being able to sell their produce would surely hurt the farmers themselves.

Then I guess that would be collateral damage if that was the case. I'd imagine in those areas the government has already (or hope so) would have factored that in and may not go down the card path in those areas - I don't really know the figures but on face value regional and rural areas wouldn't have the same misuse of government funds as their suburban "problem" area counterparts.

Are you as upset about the 7% of the extremely well off in this country who get a cash hand out, a present, a gift of $6 billion per year from the tax payer; YOUR money, out of YOUR pocket even thought these rich mongrels who laze away their days on their luxury yachts pay not one brass razoo in tax? Hey? Is that OK with you?

Different thread buddy
Treating welfare recipients as suspected druggies and alchies is a disgrace.

Oh I agree, don't know why you brought it up because the intent of the policy is to ensure the funds are spent on necessities not indulgences that hampers one chances of getting employed.

I like the idea in principle but there are so many flaws.
How do people pay bills online?
Where will the urine tests take place and are they private?
And will people just leave a location that enforces this test?
Will they be tracked?
This is like being the eye in the sky from big government !

It is simply a debit card, so bills can be paid like any credit card

My gut feel is the drug tests will be no different to how drug tests are carried out in the military and just as often (f' all). Like the military is will be carried out where their is cause. Compare this to private enterprise like mining, where broad drug or alcohol test (including steroids) are carried out regularly and often before setting foot on site.

If people refuse a test, like drink driving, you are immediately penalised at the highest rate. There are easy ways to get around this, for those who know their rights.

Yes, I do think they will be tracked but not by location. That can already be done via a variety of mechanism. What will be tracked is spending habits, to determine the appropriate level of funding and additional support. Credit card companies collect and sell this information already, so again this is nothing new if the government wanted this information.

and yes, the concern of big brother is real and thus the need for more powerful state governments and weaker federal. Citizens need choice and voting with their feet and moving state is a necessary safe protection. Aussies laugh at the thought of a rogue Australian government but the rest of the world and the reason why 90% of our families came from nations that have had dangerous governments at one time or another.

I know an addict who receives a welfare card for his disability support pension. He uses the card to buy groceries for people who give him cash which he then uses to buy drugs. The welfare card doesn't help him. The welfare card costs the state money which could otherwise fund the services which are ostensibly there to help him.

Drug testing recipients is vile. It's depriving the community of funding for necessary services and inflicting pointless embarrassment on people going through difficult times. "Hi, we're sorry you are struggling to find a job. Now go piss in this cup so we can maybe give you some loose change that our robodebt system will take back off you as soon as you have money again".

And what's the problem with people living on welfare payments anyway? If there's a couple of nuffies happy to spend their lives receiving a $250pw pension in a community housing project in the middle of nowhere, so be it. They're clearly not cut out to make a significant contribution to society, and what else would you do with them... dump them on the streets to live a life of crime?

That's 1,000 words of far left wing crap.
Far left ....hahahahahahaha ! I hope you never have to access Newstart. If you aren't living with Mummy and Daddy who are loaded and you've got to try and live on Newstart, you'll see first hand what it's like and remember, if you complain that you don't have enough for food and shelter will you then be far to the left?

Different thread buddy

Oh I agree, don't know why you brought it up because the intent of the policy is to ensure the funds are spent on necessities not indulgences that hampers one chances of getting employed.
You can't see the connection nor the gross hypocrisy between you raging against people who don't want to be humiliated by being treated like suspected crims and being all OK with the 7% who get 6 billion dollars a year from the tax payer?

Tell me, is having a beer at the pub a luxury or buying 3 ply toilet paper a luxury as well. Have you ever tried to groom yourself and then get to job interviews and eat and pay for shelter, heating and cooling on $40 a day. Nah!! Your a f***ing snob with the readies. Is it Mummy and Daddy's doe? I hope the recession doesn't wipe you and your loved ones out financially; then again, it may be really good for you and your snobby mates to see what it's actually like on the dole and it will be marvellous when have to report to a center, just like you have to do when on parole, to get tested and if you refuse to suffer from that indignity, then you better know of somewhere you can get loads of cardboard boxes to sleep in, if you are not already living under a bridge because you sound like a real f**k wit and not many, if any people would want to share a flat with you! 40 bucks a day matey - try it!

Far left ....hahahahahahaha ! I hope you never have to access Newstart. If you aren't living with Mummy and Daddy who are loaded and you've got to try and live on Newstart, you'll see first hand what it's like and remember, if you complain that you don't have enough for food and shelter will you then be far to the left?
That's 50 words of far left wing crap.
At least you're being brief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know an addict who receives a welfare card for his disability support pension. He uses the card to buy groceries for people who give him cash which he then uses to buy drugs. The welfare card doesn't help him. The welfare card costs the state money which could otherwise fund the services which are ostensibly there to help him.

Drug testing recipients is vile. It's depriving the community of funding for necessary services and inflicting pointless embarrassment on people going through difficult times. "Hi, we're sorry you are struggling to find a job. Now go piss in this cup so we can maybe give you some loose change that our robodebt system will take back off you as soon as you have money again".

And what's the problem with people living on welfare payments anyway? If there's a couple of nuffies happy to spend their lives receiving a $250pw pension in a community housing project in the middle of nowhere, so be it. They're clearly not cut out to make a significant contribution to society, and what else would you do with them... dump them on the streets to live a life of crime?
To understand what you've written, you need a heart, some humanity but unfortunately, some people just don't get it. They seem to live lives in places where they don't get to see or experience the desperates, the needy, the drug and alcohol impaired people but soon, that'll be coming to their neighbourhoods because the prosperity and humane social policies that have seen us well for decades, are coming to an end.

I've never said this too anyone but I hope you end up broke and in need of a helping hand. You really are a nasty piece of work.

oh boo bloody hoo.
Google the Wide Bay Burnett socio economic status.
That's where I live.
I see the poverty every day.
Many people are struggling to overcome it and people like myself do everything we can to help them.
Far more are content to bludge.
And they can go and get f***ed.
Like you.

oh boo bloody hoo.
Google the Wide Bay Burnett socio economic status.
That's where I live.
I see the poverty every day.
Many people are struggling to overcome it and people like myself do everything we can to help them.
Far more are content to bludge.
And they can go and get f***ed.
Like you.
Why don't you go out and get a job, instead of being a full-time keyboard warrior?

Might help you with your insecurity and anger issues.

Pot is getting legalised all around the world, so if you think testing for this is helping, then you're f’ed in the head.
I'm 100% against testing welfare recipients for drugs, a massive waste of time and resources but if you think sitting around smoking pot is good for anybody, let alone someone that needs to lift themselves up to find employment then you are deluded.

Why don't you go out and get a job, instead of being a full-time keyboard warrior?

Might help you with your insecurity and anger issues.

Should I sack the people I employ as I go about looking for this job?
So many far left wingnuts on this site.

Anything to curb drug abuse and protecting the vulnerable.....the kids of those relying upon drug fkd parents to support them rather than their vices seems to rub you up the wrong way.

Why is that?

Should we leave druggies and their kids fail and then blame the government for doing nothing?

Is alcohol foetal syndrome and other preventable issues acceptable?
But you can't see all that from 2,000kms away in a big city while he feels good about himself on the internet.

I am a union official and I have members who are drug tested and they dont have a problem. If it's fine to drug test workers than it's fine to to test welfare recipients.

I have a members who work part time hours usually from 5am-10am 5 days a week and get paid around $515 a week doing work thats not pleasant. When you factor in taxes and travel expenses plus the stress of working how much better do my members have it than those on Newstart?

I am a union official and I have members who are drug tested and they dont have a problem. If it's fine to drug test workers than it's fine to to test welfare recipients.

I have a members who work part time hours usually from 5am-10am 5 days a week and get paid around $515 a week doing work thats not pleasant. When you factor in taxes and travel expenses plus the stress of working how much better do my members have it than those on Newstart?
I'm fine with the testing only if all politicians submit to it as well.

As for you second second paragraph hear what you are saying but it's providing a work history and hopefully references so they can maybe move up to a better job. Plus don't underestimate the psychological benefits of being able to say to people that you are working for a living instead of hey yeah I'm on the dole. First year of my apprenticeship many years ago after spending a few months on youth allowance I only earned $30 a week more but I felt 100% better every single day.

edit - they don't have to deal with ****in Centrelink either, which is a heap of work and stress in itself.

You can't see the connection nor the gross hypocrisy between you raging against people who don't want to be humiliated by being treated like suspected crims and being all OK with the 7% who get 6 billion dollars a year from the tax payer?

Tell me, is having a beer at the pub a luxury or buying 3 ply toilet paper a luxury as well. Have you ever tried to groom yourself and then get to job interviews and eat and pay for shelter, heating and cooling on $40 a day. Nah!! Your a f***ing snob with the readies. Is it Mummy and Daddy's doe? I hope the recession doesn't wipe you and your loved ones out financially; then again, it may be really good for you and your snobby mates to see what it's actually like on the dole and it will be marvellous when have to report to a center, just like you have to do when on parole, to get tested and if you refuse to suffer from that indignity, then you better know of somewhere you can get loads of cardboard boxes to sleep in, if you are not already living under a bridge because you sound like a real f**k wit and not many, if any people would want to share a flat with you! 40 bucks a day matey - try it!

Nice melt!

I've been on the dole, I've had to work my way out of it. My mum and dad never had spare money, had to work smart to get my own. The world whether you like it or not is a competition.

Taking pot shots at me and my family / friends who you don't even know or what their situation is in a salty toy throw won't change that.

My intent and nor is it the governments to discriminate against people on welfare. The intent (or at least it should be) is for welfare funds to spent on needed things not things that will reduce ones chances of employment.

You want extra money for things other than survival necessities you gotta earn it.

Your little rant just exposes how petulant, naive and uninformed you are. You're deflecting by bringing up other issues, at which issue will it end?

I'm 100% against testing welfare recipients for drugs, a massive waste of time and resources but if you think sitting around smoking pot is good for anybody, let alone someone that needs to lift themselves up to find employment then you are deluded.

How. Much stupidity can be kramed into a single post.

Poverty in this modern nation, causes depression. Its the biggest single cause of depression amongst those not deemed to be brought up in abuse, pot is the number one medication for depression there is.

You silly boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back