Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Don't completely agree with you, but understand the points you are making. One year deals suit the club and not the player. One serious injury and that's it. Goldy is still in the top 5 Rickman in the league, arguably top 3. Those type of players have earnt the ability for a secure contract. 2 years with an option for a 3rd is fair for both player and club. But given our unspent "warchest" I don't have a problem giving him a 3rd year, even if he plays only 2. He's been incredibly durable for a Rickman who plays close to 100% game time.

I did have some inside info on what he might do, which I chose not to post. Turns out my source was wrong!

I don't have a problem giving him a three year deal because he has been physically durable throughout his career and rarely misses games and I think he can play longer than 3 years... and we have no viable replacement. His footy over his last contract as a whole wasn't good enough to demand 3 years. I dunno, it just doesn't strike me with the confidence that Boomer or Waite had when they were put on short contracts. They knew they had to perform to get another deal and Waite's initial contract was extended despite injuries in 2016, 2017 and 2018. We wanted him to go again in 2019 as a 35 year old and he said he couldn't go through another pre-season. Where has this vibe come from that we would get rid of him as a 32 year old if he got hurt come from?

I just don't think he needs 3 years, he has been on a good wicket for a long time so he should be financially secure and even if he did his knee in two years time, I think he could still go around for another couple of years after coming back because he is a plodder, he doesn't rely on speed or agility and he doesn't get off the ground when he rucks anyway. I dunno, it just seems like our playing group that has lacked the killer instinct is something above the shoulders and I think wanting to play it safe with contracts is an extension of the player mindset.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whoever is Goldstein's manager is a dead set genius and deserves every sip of the champagne he likely celebrated this one with.

Three years for a 31yo ruckman in a team which hasn't made finals in years.

As for Goldstein himself, did anybody listen to that press conference? He said some bizarre things, and that is putting it nicely.

By the way, if Geelong truly did offer more money and four years then Chris Scotts and co have gone completely mad.

I doubt it though.

Whoever is Goldstein's manager is a dead set genius and deserves every sip of the champagne he likely celebrated this one with.

As for Goldstein himself, did anybody listen to that press conference? He said some bizarre things, and that is putting it nicely.

By the way, if Geelong truly did offer more money and four years then Chris Scotts and co have gone completely mad.

I doubt it though.

Tldl?

WD Roo

All Australian
Dec 18, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I doubt it though.
Or did Geelong just jack his price up like we did Collingwood for De Goey?

I am confused by the thread.

The facts are unclear;
- I’ve read it’s 2+ a trigger or 3 years, we don’t actually know
- I’ve read Geelong offered 4 years but who knows
- I’ve read Geelong we’re offering 600K per year - we don’t really know
- I’ve read Goldy stayed at North for less years and less coin - who really knows how much he getting paid
- I’ve read we would have gotten pick 9 compo - total speculative crap

What I do know is;
- A top 3-4 ruckman in the league has signed to us
- We have cap space coming out our ears
- Geelong won’t be getting a top 3 ruck
- Goldy has played 21+ games a year for a decade
- Goldy is a known resilience machine that gets better the more he works
- Goldy will be a ROO FOR LIFE

I’m happy and I can’t see a reason not to be.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am confused by the thread.

The facts are unclear;
- I’ve read it’s 2+ a trigger or 3 years, we don’t actually know
- I’ve read Geelong offered 4 years but who knows
- I’ve read Geelong we’re offering 600K per year - we don’t really know
- I’ve read Goldy stayed at North for less years and less coin - who really knows how much he getting paid
- I’ve read we would have gotten pick 9 compo - total speculative crap

What I do know is;
- A top 3-4 ruckman in the league has signed to us
- We have cap space coming out our ears
- Geelong won’t be getting a top 3 ruck
- Goldy has played 21+ games a year for a decade
- Goldy is a known resilience machine that gets better the more he works
- Goldy will be a ROO FOR LIFE

I’m happy and I can’t see a reason not to be.
You've also read that he is allegedly an underachiever who only performs well when he needs a new contract.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watched it, nothing untoward.

He did say that he was flattered to have interest from multiple clubs, and that the goal of contract negotiations was to get a good result in terms of years and dollars for him to start planning for life after footy.
One reporter posed a question about wether it was tempting to head to Geelong and play alongside "so many once in a generation talents" and he replied that any team can turn up on the day and he's just as much a shot at a premiership here as anywhere.

Joked about the port game being part of the negotiating strategy, and had to remind a reporter that Higgins is still contracted.

I don't understand why we resent footy players who aim to get the best money deal they can. I do it with my work, I'm sure everyone does.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watched it, nothing untoward.

He did say that he was flattered to have interest from multiple clubs, and that the goal of contract negotiations was to get a good result in terms of years and dollars for him to start planning for life after footy.
One reporter posed a question about wether it was tempting to head to Geelong and play alongside "so many once in a generation talents" and he replied that any team can turn up on the day and he's just as much a shot at a premiership here as anywhere.

Joked about the port game being part of the negotiating strategy, and had to remind a reporter that Higgins is still contracted.

I don't understand why we resent footy players who aim to get the best money deal they can. I do it with my work, I'm sure everyone does.
Should pop in here and remind some posters as well.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Long term servant of the club. Im happy that he is staying and showing loyalty to the club that has supported him. And Im glad he didnt go to a club that has a history of bringing in rucks and burning them.

rooboyy

Debutant
Aug 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good ruckmen don’t grow on trees.

If it comes to a good ruckman I personally think age is irrelevant because it’s only 1 position on the ground and they are one of the most valuable positions. Geelong are begging for a ruckman and they are close to a grand final.

At its very core, this is a resounding vote of confidence in Shaw. That’s what I take out of this - pure and simple. Barring injury (as is the same with every player) Todd should easily have a good 3 years left in him. If not, he goes after two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed. Goldstein is going to outlive the retirement age for his profession by 50+ years. I don't blame any player for trying to get as much coin as they can.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Agreed. Goldstein is going to outlive the retirement age for his profession by 50+ years. I don't blame any player for trying to get as much coin as they can.

He will have earned close to $10m dollars by the time he retires. Plus super.

On average, most people will have earned $3.5-4m by retirement.

Good on him. He'll never see money like that again.

Goldy isn’t the ‘average ‘ person though.

What does the average person that is currently the second most taps in history and one of the best at what he does for his career and like a top 5 ruck of all time stats wise by the time he retires - what does that persons earn by retirement?

You can’t compare that stuff

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM

What does the average person that is currently the second most taps in history and one of the best at what he does for his career and like a top 5 ruck of all time stats wise by the time he retires - what does that persons earn by retirement?

The point was made that he needed to maximize his income as his vocation has a short career compared to most others.

My point is he's earnt 3-4x more than the average wage for someone's entire life, in fifteen years.

He's not going to suffer financially. And if he does, something has gone really wrong.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The point was made that he needed to maximize his income as his vocation has a short career compared to most others.

My point is he's earnt 3-4x more than the average wage for someone's entire life, in fifteen years.

He's not going to suffer financially. And if he does, something has gone really wrong.
I stand by my opinion that in the world we live in he's totally in the right to maximise his earnings while he can.

An added bonus of Goldy signing on is that Kane Cornes was quite unhappy about it, his angle this morning was "3 years for a 31 yo, what were North Melbourne thinking ? ", didn't take long for several people to remind him that Geelong were offering 4 years, at more $$$$'s, that was the last I heard it mentioned. :)

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Jesus......bragging about him being the 2nd best tap out ruck man in football history didnt really equate to club success. Did it?
That's what we're all here for......club success. He's played at the club when weve been devoid of a quality A grade midfield squad, it's not Goldstein's fault I know but frapping about it, hasn't exactly brought us what we spend our hard earned for.
Sure we came close but the list management team struggled (as have many) during a time when all clubs had one arm tied behind their backs building a decent squad.
Good luck to Todd, he's a fine upstanding person /player representing our club, he's been well renumerated for his services during his playing career. Those that find joy in that, well then that's nice. If it helps showing the football world outside the club and that it helps us in drafting/recruiting/poaching players going forward well then I'm happy.

Last edited:

I doubt that. Not sure you've done the maths too well here.

And super wouldn't be on top, even if you are just adding up the (very rubbery) numbers and forgetting about tax, living expenses and maintenance. It's included in the gross.

PS - and so what if he does much better than everyone else?

Back