News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

On the bright side 2 years isn't too long. Docherty has been out for the blues for 2 years. Time flies.

So just got to keep Rioli around the club maybe as a skills coach to keep him fit

If, as seems likely, he gets a ban then he can’t be around the club at all in any capacity. Right now he’s provisionally suspended so can still train for the time being

I hope he has been working on stuff to do outside of footy, he won’t be playing for years.

A shame

Anything more than 18 months and I think we'll delist him but we will help him through that time.
I doubt we'd delist him.

I dont know how the rookie list works but if he's suspended for say 2 years can we bring someone off the rookie list?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt we'd delist him.

I dont know how the rookie list works but if he's suspended for say 2 years can we bring someone off the rookie list?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good point, if we're able to give his spot up for someone else for two years (and he gets to stay with us) we might keep him if he gets a lengthy ban. otherwise he's taking up a spot and we'd rather fill it.

Willie has been told by his lawyer not to discuss what has happened to the club .
Evidently according to lawyer Brendan Taylor Rioli will need to prove it was not his fault or clear himself or face a 2-4 yr ban .

Rioli left the Eagles hotel last night after hearing the news and is being supported by family . WCE and staff are concerned about his welfare and doing all they can .

All up this is a complete stuff up !!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This gets more bizarre as time goes on.

“Attempted to fill the cup with an energy drink”

HOW?!

Someone from ASADA is right there watching. How is this possible? Unless somehow he convinced the ASADA official to stand behind him.

That’s the only thing that makes sense.

So much speculation and stories floating around, the only people that know the truth of what went down are Willie and the testers on the day, and they are not talking yet. Until they speak no point trying to guess what has happened.

Yeah would love to just hear from the man himself and whoever tested him. Anyway, I'm kinda over it for now, we still have a game to play lol.

I was suspended for a week for opiates in my urine sample Rio Tinto 1999. 2 days before the sample I had a muscle tear in my shoulder blade , hard to breathe , hospital gave me codiene , was still in my system . The week suspension was while they validated my story testing the samples again . The evidence validated my claim . I was unsuspended after a week twiddling my thumbs in my accommodation .

HOW?!

Someone from ASADA is right there watching. How is this possible? Unless somehow he convinced the ASADA official to stand behind him.

Rule 1 remains. If it is in the media it is not true.

It will get complex though. Willi's manager will engage a lawyer for Willi who will no doubt advise him not to speak with the club QC. Its how lawyers think.

I was suspended for a week for opiates in my urine sample Rio Tinto 1999. 2 days before the sample I had a muscle tear in my shoulder blade , hard to breathe , hospital gave me codiene , was still in my system . The week suspension was while they validated my story testing the samples again . The evidence validated my claim . I was unsuspended after a week twiddling my thumbs in my accommodation .
Great except ASADA are public servants - glacially slow.

HOW?!

Ok let's assume he somehow hid an energy drink on his person and slyly tried to pour some of that yellow Gatorade into the vial expecting not to get caught doing it. Either he's incredibly stupid or the tester is incredibly incompetent. That you could even allow someone to attempt that should raise questions.

I'm feeling sorry for Willie right now, he's a fairly young guy with a young family under the pressure of the AFL system, pressure from coaches, other players, his family and he is determined to succeed at AFL. Whatever's happened (whether he be trying to cover up illicit drugs or performnce drugs) he must have been under great pressure to take the risk of using those drugs and to provide a fake sample to try and dodge the testers.

His world has been destroyed, turned upside down, he's clearly worked his arse off to get here and now he's lost it, he probably feels scared of losing his family also and probably can't see his life outside of this current point in time. He's lost his income and he must be feeling so ashamed of himself, no doubt he's probably just dropped into a great pit of despair and depression, this could take his life if not physically then mentally (he may end up just being a shell of himself and ashamed to be a "father" to his child).

I feel sorry for him, I care for him, I wish I could just give him a big hug and tell him everything will be ok mate, no matter what happens I'll support you, I'll back you in, I'll be in your corner even if no one else will, I'll be there when you need someone. I hope he someone there for him.

Much love Willie, you can get through this, you have a long life outside of this, it may not feel like it right now but you do.

Club found out yesterday, id say theres basically 0% chance internally we dont know what happend by the time vozzo went to air. Willie would have been confronted by the club fessed up to what actually happend and then we play a straight bat to the media.

My gut says he panicked and tried to hide illicit drug use.

I think that’s the most likely. I wonder why the delay in hearing about the false sample issue. 20th of August to yesterday is 23 days, so maybe some kind of 21 day procedural time line with the result of that in the AFL and club’s hands for a day and a bit before they settle on how to deliver to the public. Hope the kid will be ok, sounds like he’s doing it pretty tough.

Waiting for the B sample results before drawing to any conclusions. I'm sure the players know it's ongoing and not to think the worst. Least it's finals and only 3 games max left for the next 6 months so hopefully we'll know before 2020 season.

Best case his B sample comes back next week clean and untampered and he still might be free to play in the Grand Final (if we make it). Maybe it was his first test and just freaked out and couldn't pee in front of someone looking at him and decided to try and put some liquid in there first (sweat, spit etc) as he couldn't pee then finally he was able to get past that anxious stage and was able to carry on his business as usual.

Ok let's assume he somehow hid an energy drink on his person and slyly tried to pour some of that yellow Gatorade into the vial expecting not to get caught doing it. Either he's incredibly stupid or the tester is incredibly incompetent. That you could even allow someone to attempt that should raise questions.

I’m getting the feeling that the testers don’t physically intervene and only observe. So if Willie holds on to the cup for longer than expected, the tester won’t take it off him, it’s Willie’s obligation to hand it over. If he rotten tries to do something with it, he won’t be stopped from doing it, what he tried to do will just be recorded.

Both are quitre likely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back