RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
The trend seems to be heading into the opposite direction. Those who had middling reactions to it at first seem to be warming to it more as time goes by. Those who loved it are loving it even more.

I definitely didn't have to fool myself in any way. I loved it as I was watching it, I loved it when it was finished and I am still loving it.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
or maybe, you know, people just have a different opinion to you......

jesus christ. the arrogance of accusing people of deluding themselves into believing something they don't actually want to think, like they are some kind of mindless lemming, just because it's a different opinion to yours. wowsers O_O
It's just a prediction for a few years from now, feel free to quote me on it then. No need to get heated about it. I like the film (I like all Tarantino films), I'm glad that people like it, I just wasn't impressed by it (more shallow than I was expecting) and I'm fairly confident time will push this towards the bottom of his filmography. I'd still be up for seeing this a couple times, I just don't detect any upside potential in this one personally, as it's all upfront, warts and all.

Maybe some viewers went in expecting something very different, and so they need that 2nd viewing to get on wavelength? That's cool. I went in expecting exactly pretty much what I got, but the finesse had slipped and leaves this more exposed as self-indulgent. Driving around LA, you get that in much better films. Hollywood, you get that in much better films. That period, you get that in much better films. The acting profession, you get that in much better films. The stunt profession, you get that in much better films. The thing against OUATIH is that it just doesn't bring much new to the table that hasn't been done better elsewhere, nor does it bring it all together in an interesting, meaningful, worthwhile way.

Last edited:
Maybe some viewers went in expecting something very different, and so they need that 2nd viewing to get on wavelength? That's cool. I went in expecting exactly pretty much what I got, but the finesse had slipped and leaves this more exposed as self-indulgent. Driving around LA, you get that in much better films. Hollywood, you get that in much better films. That period, you get that in much better films. The acting profession, you get that in much better films. The stunt profession, you get that in much better films. The thing against OUATIH is that it just doesn't bring much new to the table that hasn't been done better elsewhere, nor does it bring it all together in an interesting, meaningful, worthwhile way.

I agree some would have gone in expected more violence and might have been a bit bored by the character study.

You say that there are better films for various aspects. I’d be interested to hear some examples. I thought it was one of the big pluses of the film that I felt immersed in late 60s LA.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I agree some would have gone in expected more violence and might have been a bit bored by the character study.

You say that there are better films for various aspects. I’d be interested to hear some examples. I thought it was one of the big pluses of the film that I felt immersed in late 60s LA.
For a start, check out some of Tarantino's "Swinging Sixties" influences on the film, especially the likes of Model Shop (driving) and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (couples experiencing sexual liberation) for late 60s LA (or the numerous other films that were shot there at the time). Altman's early 70s classics like The Long Goodbye & California Split were mostly shot in LA and have that immersive hangout feel.

It's just a prediction for a few years from now, feel free to quote me on it then. No need to get heated about it. I like the film (I like all Tarantino films), I'm glad that people like it, I just wasn't impressed by it (more shallow than I was expecting) and I'm fairly confident time will push this towards the bottom of his filmography. I'd still be up for seeing this a couple times, I just don't detect any upside potential in this one personally, as it's all upfront, warts and all.

Fine that you didn't really like it and don't think it will hold up, no qualms with that at all. However, you've had several people in this very thread say that the movie has grown on them, and there's definitely a similar sentiment around the traps (media, podcasts, etc) so to say anyone thinking that way is actually fooling themselves into it is next level douchebaggery IMO. Carry on though.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Fine that you didn't really like it and don't think it will hold up, no qualms with that at all. However, you've had several people in this very thread say that the movie has grown on them, and there's definitely a similar sentiment around the traps (media, podcasts, etc) so to say anyone thinking that way is actually fooling themselves into it is next level douchebaggery IMO. Carry on though.
There is a cliche trend of people contemplating a second viewing because it has been sold to them as a grower. As I said, that might work for some whose expectations were different. Generally I love 2nd viewings, I just think that this particular film being singled out as a grower is not going to pan out in the long-run.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
There is a cliche trend of people contemplating a second viewing because it has been sold to them as a grower. As I said, that might work for some whose expectations were different. Generally I love 2nd viewings, I just think that this particular film being singled out as a grower is not going to pan out in the long-run.
No one sold this film to me as a grower, i went into this without reading any reviews, i watched the movie and thought it was alright but overlong with not much going on, the film has stuck with me for weeks afterwards that i think back on every now and again making me appreciate it more and wanting to see it again at the cinemas which i never do, so yeah to me this is a sleeper or grower or however you want to call it.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Don't know whether I liked it or hated it.

I'm kind of in this same space. I didn't hate it and there were definitely some enjoyable parts but just seemed very disjointed. Walking out I felt it was a mix of homage to the spaghetti westerns (obviously Once Upon A Time In The West and Sergeo Leone's films) and revenge fantasy against the Manson Family.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
It's a great movie, not Tarantino's best, but from the point of view that as an alternate history a lot more hinges on the events than Django Unchained or Inglorious Basterds. In the latter two, the bad guys ultimately lost in reality anyway, but in the former, they haven't. The politics of the hippies in the late 60s has become a dominant social force, for better or worse. Whereas had history happened like portrayed in Once Upon a Time, where the murder of a beautiful ingenue and her friends became instead a footnote in a new article where a bunch of home invaders got their comeuppance, a lot might have changed. Maybe no Jim Jones, maybe fewer aspiring serial killers through the 70s and 80s. Manson was the byword for evil for a generation, and inspiration for many. Imagine if that had happened differently.

The movie portrays a world that is a lot more open, and high trust - Hollywood stars are accessible, people hitchhike and pick up hitchhikers, traffic is minimal, everything seems cheap, and you can even have the confidence to call police pigs without them shooting or arresting you. It's no wonder it is his worst received movie by critics - it shows the world as it was before hippie liberalism destroyed it all.

"Hippie liberalism" didn't destroy that world, it created it. The Tate/LaBianca murders along with Alatamont killed the hippie movement turning it's ideals on its head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Love me some Tarantino, prepared to cut the guy alot of slack but this was just utter sh1te. Self-indulgent w@nkery dialed up to 11 with zero plot to hang it on.

I get what he was going for, he loves film and this was his love letter to the industry. But jesus christ, it was just a series of 'slice of life' vignettes. None of the trademark stand-out dialogue either, at least I didn't notice it on first viewing. Comedic element that's usually there seemed missing too, few funny moments I guess but nothing much above a mild chuckle for mine. Way too long as well, could comfortably have got it done in 2 hours. Thought the acting was great though, all 3 leads getting it done big time.

Genuine question for the people raving about the ending - what made it so amazing? Just the bait and switch with Tate not getting murdered? I feel like I'm missing something lol.

Fingers crossed that Herriman has a big enough part to potentially get oscar nominated.

lol guess not. Did we even see his face properly?

- Cliff at the Ranch the absolute highlight of the film; up there with the Bar scene in Basterds for tension.

The long scene at the ranch was some of the best tension I've seen in a film for some time, just growing and growing the whole time and never giving a release on its grip. Masterful film making.

:oops:

Decent scene, but not even close imo. Both the opening scene and the basement bar scene in Inglorious Basterds are masterpieces of tension and have this covered by the length of the Flemington straight.

For me he'll always be Dewey Crowe.

Haha yep me too. Wonder if QT liked Justified - had Boyd Crowder in his last movie, Raylan and Dewey in this one :p

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Decent scene, but not even close imo. Both the opening scene and the basement bar scene in Inglorious Basterds are masterpieces of tension and have this covered by the length of the Flemington straight.

You can add Landa and Shosanna in the cafe as well.

Does anyone else think Basterds is his best? Haven't seen OUAT yet - can't find the time!

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Genuine question for the people raving about the ending - what made it so amazing? Just the bait and switch with Tate not getting murdered? I feel like I'm missing something lol.
Bait and switch was the main reason. It was a nice surprise. 2nd best part was the action and fighting. When you are blood thirsty Tarantino fan and you find the movie kinda long and boring to date, you appreciate the action a bit more. 3rd was the comedy. Rick killing a person with a flamethrower after being introduced to the 'weapon/prop' earlier in the movie was very well done and I thought hillarious.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
You can add Landa and Shosanna in the cafe as well.

Does anyone else think Basterds is his best? Haven't seen OUAT yet - can't find the time!

Right here :thumbsu:

Top 3 for mine;

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Kill Bill

Bait and switch was the main reason. It was a nice surprise. 2nd best part was the action and fighting. When you are blood thirsty Tarantino fan and you find the movie kinda long and boring to date, you appreciate the action a bit more. 3rd was the comedy. Rick killing a person with a flamethrower after being introduced to the 'weapon/prop' earlier in the movie was very well done and I thought hillarious.

Cheers. I did appreciate the flamethrower kill, I guess the rest just felt kinda run-of-the-mill QT to me.

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Right here :thumbsu:

Top 3 for mine;

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Kill Bill

My top 3.

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown

I don't think JB gets enough love, but it shows that he can direct others' source material. And De Niro doing his stoned bit was absolutely spot-on!

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Inglorious Basterds neck and neck with PF for me. Jackie Brown and Kill Bill (both) behind that. Will probably slot OUATIH on that second tier.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

You're %100 right. Tarantino movies are always entertaining and interesting but only on the surface. His movies lack substance. A lot of flash and spark but no fire.

You're %100 right. Tarantino movies are always entertaining and interesting but only on the surface. His movies lack substance. A lot of flash and spark but no fire.

No fire in Inglorious? That’s funny.

Reservoir and Pulp were just sparks? Go back to your kid Star Wars movies....”i hate sand”....dear god!

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
That's not what I said at all. Maybe concerning this film, but not his filmography in general. A fair accusation though, and I do wonder about his ability to penetrate beyond surface pleasures and generate new insight beyond the occasional brilliant pastiche, especially of late.

Back