Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking forward to St Kilda’s top-up this coming trade period when they get Brad Hill and Paddy Ryder. They are cherry ripe to continue their Premiership tilt.

Not sure what your point is? In footy parlance, what do you define "topping up" as?
Viewing your list as complete (or near to it) and making minimal changes in order to preserve the status quo and fill minor holes.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Mean Greg Inglis

Now you have lost me on that CE.

If you want to debate it fine. If not ..fine too. One word answers do nothing for the topic.

Im not sure its a debate for this thread anyway.. as I said for certain reasons. The "toppingup" that has happend is not a totally a Chris Scott issue.
We can start with pointing the bone at whoever offered a 4 year contract to a 31 year old player. This to me is close to a perfect example of topping up. He would go to the top of our rucks.. he is a mature player.. the older the player the more short term it is...meanwhile we have 4 players on our list of questionable attributes that have to some degree been top ups. Yes Abbott and Fort were drafted but there age says they were not brought in as players to groom and develop.

Now you have lost me on that CE.

If you want to debate it fine. If not ..fine too. One word answers do nothing for the topic.

Im not sure its a debate for this thread anyway.. as I said for certain reasons. The "toppingup" that has happend is not a totally a Chris Scott issue.
We can start with pointing the bone at whoever offered a 4 year contract to a 31 year old player. This to me is close to a perfect example of topping up. He would go to the top of our rucks.. he is a mature player.. the older the player the more short term it is...meanwhile we have 4 players on our list of questionable attributes that have to some degree been top ups. Yes Abbott and Fort were drafted but there age says they were not brought in as players to groom and develop.
This is part of the problem. No single recruitment decision is topping up or not. Topping up can only refer to the overall list strategy. Adding a mature player is not topping up unless the overall strategy and approach is minimal list changes in an effort to preserve a very strong list.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
This is part of the problem. No single recruitment decision is topping up or not. Topping up can only refer to the overall list strategy. Adding a mature player is not topping up unless the overall strategy and approach is minimal list changes in an effort to preserve a very strong list.

OK... I think this where we see it differently. Topping up to me is having a depleted volume and you refill it. To me we are seeing an immediate need and topping it up. Clark is almost perfect for me as he filled a need but was drafted in... but mostly the immediate need is being brought in ..Dahl , Rohan ..these are top ups to our best 22 .. due to not having drafted better players..

I have never ever said that we have only topped up. I question is the quality of the bottom of our list due to a lack of early picks.

When we are looking at trade period where we have been linked with Higgins , Steven , Goldstien , Jacobs .. anyone else? I cant think of his name... the Adelaide small defender is 25 at least he has some years but that too would be top up...but like Danger ..that at least gives us the chance of a player that could play 100 games. The issue for me is short term game absorption .. I dont think we have been liked to a "topup" like a Hopper etc.. We are looking at the value end mostly..and that is age based... and that part of our list build is toppingup.

OK... I think this where we see it differently. Topping up to me is having a depleted volume and you refill it. To me we are seeing an immediate need and topping it up. Clark is almost perfect for me as he filled a need but was drafted in... but mostly the immediate need is being brought in ..Dahl , Rohan ..these are top ups to our best 22 .. due to not having drafted better players..

I have never ever said that we have only topped up. I question is the quality of the bottom of our list due to a lack of early picks.

When we are looking at trade period where we have been linked with Higgins , Steven , Goldstien , Jacobs .. anyone else? I cant think of his name... the Adelaide small defender is 25 at least he has some years but that too would be top up...but like Danger ..that at least gives us the chance of a player that could play 100 games. The issue for me is short term game absorption .. I dont think we have been liked to a "topup" like a Hopper etc.. We are looking at the value end mostly..and that is age based... and that part of our list build is toppingup.
Yep, we differ. I don’t think “topping up” has any descriptive meaning if one uses it to describe a single player movement.

All players are recruited to fill a need. There are different ways to do it. Once they’re on the list it no longer matters how they got there.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep, we differ. I don’t think “topping up” has any descriptive meaning if one uses it to describe a single player movement.

All players are recruited to fill a need. There are different ways to do it. Once they’re on the list it no longer matters how they got there.
Yes there are different ways to do it .. but the toppingup term is no different to me than a lot of colourful terms used to describe a method of action in footy .. I mean there is no water on the ground when they flood the backline , the ground doesnt put on weight.. when the kick it to the fat side , time doesnt change colour when they say its red time .... toppingup is used as a term to describe the Pnp types, to add to the list from the top down ..not the bottom up like the draft is mostly ( although is not always the case Clark , Kelly etc).. ..and if you add multiple Pnp ..and push the picks in the draft to the back of the choices.. you are placing a higher priority on replenishment from Pnp type than draft. The club may try to beat the system with Stewart and Menegola and Sav etc.. but we have not added a any drafted kid the quality of Selwood and Bartel etc for years..we just have not had access to those kids..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Viewing your list as complete (or near to it) and making minimal changes in order to preserve the status quo and fill minor holes.

Fair enough, and that is "a" method of topping up. No doubt. But topping up can be more extensive than that. I think you also see clubs now trading for seasoned players at the expense of draftees over a period of years to try to remain a flag chance. I think most would see think that the recruiting of McIntosh, Henderson, Tuohy, Rohan, Dahlhaus (even Ablett) as topping up. Personally I wouldn't describe Dangerfield as a top up player.

Whilst our list and best 22 has changed since McIntosh came to the club, it's still been an ongoing top up process. Not at the complete exclusion of drafting of course, but topping up nevertheless. I think what Turbocat and I are wanting to see is a recognition that our flag chances in the short term aren't great and therefore a prioritisation of bringing elite youngsters in, rather than using our top picks to gain mature aged types. I'd be filthy if we part with anything like a first or second rounder for Higgins or Steven.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
If we go into this game with the same game plan against the pies, then McGovern and the rest of WCE defenders will have a field day...
The first thing our forwards need to do is ensure their opponents don't take marks in our f50... If it happens twice - drag them aka Kevin Sheedy tactics. Esava needs to sort his s**t out - time to play with the adults and have an impact - no more dancing around the ground. Hawkins can't handle 2 defenders.

Fair enough, and that is "a" method of topping up. No doubt. But topping up can be more extensive than that. I think you also see clubs now trading for seasoned players at the expense of draftees over a period of years to try to remain a flag chance. I think most would see think that the recruiting of McIntosh, Henderson, Tuohy, Rohan, Dahlhaus (even Ablett) as topping up. Personally I wouldn't describe Dangerfield as a top up player.

Whilst our list and best 22 has changed since McIntosh came to the club, it's still been an ongoing top up process. Not at the complete exclusion of drafting of course, but topping up nevertheless. I think what Turbocat and I are wanting to see is a recognition that our flag chances in the short term aren't great and therefore a prioritisation of bringing elite youngsters in, rather than using our top picks to gain mature aged types. I'd be filthy if we part with anything like a first or second rounder for Higgins or Steven.
I just couldn’t disagree more. If you are trying to top up there’s no way you draft 40 players.

It’s not an “all or nothing” scenario
That’s where we differ. I see recruiting a mature player in the context of other decisions made. If it’s in the context of other mature players being brought into an otherwise static list it’s topping up. If it’s in the context of a balanced approach to using a mix of list management approaches then it’s just normal list management. The latter is Geelong.

No they would not
lol call it what you want. Topping up or PnP it matters not. CE is bang on
The English language has ordinary meanings for words and phrases. "Topping up" means to keep an already full vessel in its present state of fulness. Nothing Geelong has done recently fits that description. Geelong has turned over 42 list spots in the past four player movement periods with only 6 of those being trade/FAs.
irrefutable facts for the top up crowd.

Yes, you can’t say that Spazz Cat it’s not founded in truth

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
The real issue to me is that we have not managed to replace our best players from draft stock.. thats the core of the discussion. Kelly is but just like daylight he will soon be gone..
I dont allocate our direction of recruitment to scott ..that the clubs choice and he is just a part of it.

Wells not as good as his reputation?

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
That’s where we differ. I see recruiting a mature player in the context of other decisions made. If it’s in the context of other mature players being brought into an otherwise static list it’s topping up. If it’s in the context of a balanced approach to using a mix of list management approaches then it’s just normal list management. The latter is Geelong.
I don't give a * what people want to call it just start by getting a genuine NO1 ruck for 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back