Traded Dougal Howard [traded to St Kilda with Ryder in complex deal]

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dogs have a self-evident policy this year of bringing in players with two first names. Seems we’ve got Josh Bruce, and having missed Jack Martin, are now turning our attention to Dougal Howard. I’m just worried that somewhere on that list is Jack Anthony...
I'm not convinced that Dougal is a first name.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Was in AA form as a defender earlier in the year and was 2nd only to Harris Andrews for spoils/one percenters last year. Spoils dropped more this year as he became better at intercept marking. Form went to s**t when he was moved forward then dropped and didn’t come back in

As a defender he is absolutely elite and looks primed to be one of the best young key defenders in the league.

As a forward, he’s meh and was why he was dropped.

No idea why our coach has said he wants to play him as a forward next year when he’s as good as Clurey or Jonas as a defender but up forward we should be persisting with a combo of at least 2 of Dixon/Marshall/Frampton.

Would be a huge mistake to get rid of him unless it was a Jake Lever style 2 1st’s trade but no way anyone would do that after seeing the mistake it was for Lever and a lot of clubs/media not pumping Howard up to the extent that Lever was.

2x 1st Rounders?

For a bloke you dropped multiple times?

Our 2020 R2(20-25) would be more equi-value.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our 2020 R2(20-25) would be more equi-value.

Lol

No ones trading a 23yr old 199cm contracted swingman for a future second.

The 2 1sts comment might be unbelievable but he was clear when he expressed that is what it would take to get a contracted young kpp out. He also said that no one would pay that.

I reckon the Dougal stuff comes from several clubs targeting him as a player they want while no one expects anything to ever come of it.

As for him being dropped he’s a 23yr old 199cm kpp swingman not long from an acl recovery. The problem has been the club hasn’t made up their mind whether he is a defender or forward. If they had he would have played 22 games.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
And he's had an ACL?

FMD.

You aren't a swingman if you can play forward. He is a very decent defender.

What would you give us for Durdin? Or Majak pre: Bridge Jump?

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Worth a mid first.

Good luck with that

And he's had an ACL?

FMD.

No one would give you anything for Durdin or Majak because they’ve done nothing at afl level and are list fillers you keep around because they’re cheap and you need depth.

I’m not sure why you’ve brought them up in a thread about a player that is a generational athlete who has broken afl records as his career has barely started.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Good luck with that

No one would give you anything for Durdin or Majak because they’ve done nothing at afl level and are list fillers you keep around because they’re cheap and you need depth.

I’m not sure why you’ve brought them up in a thread about a player that is a generational athlete who has broken afl records as his career has barely started.

A generational athlete.

Elise Perry, Steve Smith, Ben Simmons and Doogs.

You're the best philfy.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Moving from Wagga to Adelaide when I was drafted was a huge change but the club made everything so easy.
Right from the word go, the football club and the host family I moved in with have been great.
The environment here is unreal and I’ve made some really good friends, which was a key reason to re-signing this year.
The clubs in a really good place to be at the moment and hopefully we’ve got a big year ahead but for now, I’m ready to keep learning and aspire to be a leader of our club in the future.
Oh yes .. he wants out ... All media talk ... LOL

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
And he's had an ACL?

FMD.

Durdin hasn’t shown anywhere near the ability that Howard has as a KPD.

He was 2nd in the league in one percenters only to Harris Andrews last season and this year was in AA form to begin the year and had a form slump when the idiot coaches decided to play him forward and force him into that position which is why he was dropped, as he played poorly...not helped by our terrible ball use by midfielders kicking inside 50.

Realistically, for coaches that have actually seen him play as a defender and watched his games as a 3 year contracted, 23 year old, on track to be one of the best KPD in the league, he’d probably be worth 1 early first on the open market.

Lever went for 2 1st’s in similar form to Howard but with A LOT more media attention and didn’t have the burden of getting played out of position and that was quite obviously an overpay at the time.

Steven May went for pick 6 as a 27 year old defender who had shown a bit more than Howard as a defender but obviously a lot less upside, was forcing his way out and is going towards the back end of his career now, where Howard’s is just starting.

Lachie Henderson aged 25 was traded for a future first round pick by Carlton to Geelong having shown less than Howard had.

Jake Carlisle at age 24 was traded for pick 5.

They are about the only comparisons of key defenders who’d shown a lot of promise being traded in recent years.

It takes a lot to poach young, contracted, promising key defenders.

Majak Daw is 28 btw, dumb comparison.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Durdin hasn’t shown anywhere near the ability that Howard has as a KPD.

He was 2nd in the league in one percenters only to Harris Andrews last season and this year was in AA form to begin the year and had a form slump when the idiot coaches decided to play him forward and force him into that position which is why he was dropped, as he played poorly...not helped by our terrible ball use by midfielders kicking inside 50.

Realistically, for coaches that have actually seen him play as a defender and watched his games as a 3 year contracted, 23 year old, on track to be one of the best KPD in the league, he’d probably be worth 1 early first on the open market.

Lever went for 2 1st’s in similar form to Howard but with A LOT more media attention and didn’t have the burden of getting played out of position and that was quite obviously an overpay at the time.

Steven May went for pick 6 as a 27 year old defender who had shown a bit more than Howard as a defender but obviously a lot less upside, was forcing his way out and is going towards the back end of his career now, where Howard’s is just starting.

Lachie Henderson aged 25 was traded for a future first round pick by Carlton to Geelong having shown less than Howard had.

Jake Carlisle at age 24 was traded for pick 5.

They are about the only comparisons of key defenders who’d shown a lot of promise being traded in recent years.

It takes a lot to poach young, contracted, promising key defenders.

Majak Daw is 28 btw, dumb comparison.

Contracted part I agree with, the rest of those mentioned were considerably (externally) higher rated.

Not saying you are wrong or right.

For a high first rounder, I'd prefer to hold on to and hope Durdin, McKay or Daw can hold down his position well enough.

Is he really that good? Why was he pushed forward if he is such a dominant defender?

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For a high first rounder, I'd prefer to hold on to and hope Durdin, McKay or Daw can hold down his position well enough.

Is he really that good? Why was he pushed forward if he is such a dominant defender?

God help anyone who is holding out hope daw at 29 is going to become a good afl defender in the future

Durdin is fighting to keep his spot on an afl list.

I haven’t followed McKay since he was drafted but he’s definitely a long term project who is more Hope than certainty.

As for why did they move Dougal forward?

We had jonas Clurey and burton back, with westhoff also able to go back, while Dixon was injured westhoff and Ryder were failing up forward and there was pressure on the club to pick a kf.

Instead of picking the developing Marshall or Frampton (who likely would have played this year if not for bad timing with suspensions) they moved dougal forward. Doogs has played forward in the past and kicked some big hauls in the sanfl. They obviously figured that they were safe to rob one area where we had depth to another they didn’t feel we did. And Clurey nor jonas are forwards and burton was busy establishing himself as a great defender in our unit.

Myself and a lot of port fans thought it was a very poor decision though as we feel the better long term view would have been to let the 23yr old chb keep developing back and bring in a young forward to develop there.

But Hinkley has made a series of very very poor selection choices and this very much fits his mantra. He does not rate goalkickers at all. If he coached josh Kennedy or Ben Brown they would both be dropped for not running up the wings enough. What he would have liked about Howard would have been his speed and mobility

If Hinkley had his way the entire league would be midget forwards, medium defenders and 190cm+ midfielders. If you’re not 178cms you better damn well play like one.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
God help anyone who is holding out hope daw at 29 is going to become a good afl defender in the future

Durdin is fighting to keep his spot on an afl list.

I haven’t followed McKay since he was drafted but he’s definitely a long term project who is more Hope than certainty.

As for why did they move Dougal forward?

We had jonas Clurey and burton back, with westhoff also able to go back, while Dixon was injured westhoff and Ryder were failing up forward and there was pressure on the club to pick a kf.

Instead of picking the developing Marshall or Frampton (who likely would have played this year if not for bad timing with suspensions) they moved dougal forward. Doogs has played forward in the past and kicked some big hauls in the sanfl. They obviously figured that they were safe to rob one area where we had depth to another they didn’t feel we did. And Clurey nor jonas are forwards and burton was busy establishing himself as a great defender in our unit.

Myself and a lot of port fans thought it was a very poor decision though as we feel the better long term view would have been to let the 23yr old chb keep developing back and bring in a young forward to develop there.

But Hinkley has made a series of very very poor selection choices and this very much fits his mantra. He does not rate goalkickers at all. If he coached josh Kennedy or Ben Brown they would both be dropped for not running up the wings enough. What he would have liked about Howard would have been his speed and mobility

If Hinkley had his way the entire league would be midget forwards, medium defenders and 190cm+ midfielders. If you’re not 178cms you better damn well play like one.

Ok.

Majak Daw would have probably been your best key forward, he was also a great 2nd ruck option. Was an incredibly valuable player. Oh and the #2 or #3 ranked intercept marker in '18 I believe.

Durdin is coming along fine, needs a bit of intensity but his skills are sublime for a big dude. We are unlikely to contend in the next few years so he has a bit of time to get there.

I hear what you are saying re: Kenny, I feel we had a similar relationship with Bradley however ours went from blatant distrust to hatred very very suddenly, the only difference is your club actually had balls and traded a few out and has a clearly defined strategy aimed at future success.

If the asking price for him is a top 10 pick, I'd say you wouldn't have a worry in the world about losing him.

Would you considering him near Grimes from Richmond who I would gladly give up 2x R1 for if he was Doogie Howser's age?

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Ok.

Majak Daw would have probably been your best key forward, he was also a great 2nd ruck option. Was an incredibly valuable player. Oh and the #2 or #3 ranked intercept marker in '18 I believe.

Durdin is coming along fine, needs a bit of intensity but his skills are sublime for a big dude. We are unlikely to contend in the next few years so he has a bit of time to get there.

I hear what you are saying re: Kenny, I feel we had a similar relationship with Bradley however ours went from blatant distrust to hatred very very suddenly, the only difference is your club actually had balls and traded a few out and has a clearly defined strategy aimed at future success.

If the asking price for him is a top 10 pick, I'd say you wouldn't have a worry in the world about losing him.

Would you considering him near Grimes from Richmond who I would gladly give up 2x R1 for if he was Doogie Howser's age?

Closer to Harris Andrews in game style than Grimes.
Similar age, height, weight, stats and ability.

He started out being just a pure ball stopper with spoils the same as Andrews did and at the start of the year when in AA form had trusted his intercept marking ability more to start taking more marks than just spoiling every single contest like he did in 2018.

Philthy is right in the fact we needed a tall forward to play when Marshall wasn't providing enough in the SANFL and Dixon was injured. Howard was the only tall out of he, Jonas and Clurey that had any experience playing forward as he started his career up forward in the SANFL.

Last year was a learning curve as a defender but showed a heap of promise leading the entire league in one percenters (the majority being spoils) with 231 and was 2nd only to Harris Andrews with 11.55 per game. The next best was Rance averaging only 9.04 per game.

Even this year where he played as a forward in a few games he was still averaging 7.33 and averaged 11.14 per game as a defender (the most in the league). As a defender whilst still leading the league in one percenters, he kept a lot of opponents quiet and also averaged 5.17 marks per game as a defender, up from 4.35 last year, showing his improved marking ability.

He averaged 6.67 intercept possessions as a defender this year and 3 intercept marks as a defender per game.
In 2018, he averaged 6 intercept possessions and 2 intercept marks per game, again showing that improved marking ability without sacrificing any of the spoils/one percenters.

For reference the league leader in intercept marks was 3.9 per game by Phil Davis and 8.68 intercept possessions by Jeremy McGovern.

Harris Andrews averaged 11.10 one percenters and 7.2 intercept possessions per game this year compared to Howards 11.14 and 6.67 as a defender respectively.

The thing is it's all about media attention and publicity by commentators and the like. Not many people know that Howard has been that close to Andrews in ability as a young key defender but a lot haven't heard about him, probably watched 1-2 games of him throughout the year and don't even look at his stats in isolation as a defender over the last 2 years in comparison to other promising young defenders.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
This might be the most bizarre response I’ve ever had.

That is a list off the top of my head who I would consider current Australian generational athletes. Sam Kerr would also, rightly, be considered a generational athlete.

You brought generational athlete to the table.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is a list off the top of my head who I would consider current Australian generational athletes. Sam Kerr would also, rightly, be considered a generational athlete.

You brought generational athlete to the table.

On a football forum talking about footballers.

Otherwise the retort to any player in the afl being called fast is Usain Bolt.

If you don’t think dougal howard is an extremely rare athlete in Australian football I’m not sure why you’re in here making comments on a player you have no understanding of in the way you are.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
I know what you are saying and it's complete insanity.

I could not spot Dougal Howard out of a lineout for $1m.

I'm only interested because we are 'linked' to him. I watch Port play about 3 games a year so you'd be correct.

If it's any consolation I watch even less Crows games.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
I know what you are saying and it's complete insanity.

I could not spot Dougal Howard out of a lineout for $1m.

I'm only interested because we are 'linked' to him. I watch Port play about 3 games a year so you'd be correct.

If it's any consolation I watch even less Crows games.

If you don’t actually know anything about Dougal, why are you even bothering to comment on what Port should be happy to receive in a trade for him?

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think the rumors of Dougal being on the table may be he wants to play in defense and it's been said he is going to be trained as a forward this pre-season. Dogs first and a 1 of the 3rd round picks might be enough. Rather use it on him than Bruce.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back