Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Not to discredit Pendlebury he’s easily top 10. But Simon black hands down is the most consistent player of all time
I rate Simon incredibly incredibly high, someone so tough but had those skills, and even had the good looks.

However my opinion is that Pendlebury has been more consistent, ten seasons of being named in the AA 40 and hes polled atleast 15 Brownlow votes every year for the past 10 seasons, And only 9 occassions since 2009 that he had less than 20 disposals(8 of those games he had over 15).

Simon Black was so good though, so i’m happy for someone to disagree with me.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Forgetting careers, purely based on 2019 form, if they were fully fit and playing a game next week-

1. Martin
2. Cripps
3. Bontempelli
4. Fyfe
5. Dangerfield
6. Yeo
7. Pendlebury
8. Neale
9. J Kelly
10. T. Kelly
Eh? If it's just 2019 I'd swap Martin and Dangerfield personally.

And then move him probably to 10th. Dusty has been very inconsistent.

This was the top 10 in June 2017:

1. Patrick Dangerfield – 9.54
2. Gary Ablett – 6.86
3. Scott Pendlebury – 6.4
4. Dustin Martin – 6.28
5. Joel Selwood – 6.02
6. Josh Kennedy – 5.86
7. Nat Fyfe – 2.36
8. Rory Sloane – 2.04
9. Marcus Bontempelli – 1.8
10. Josh Kelly – 1.74

Any chance of getting a 2019 update?

Please/thanks.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
I think in 2019 there were about 5 mids all at the same level, no stand out like previous years. Could make a case for any of Fyfe, Danger, Cripps (MVP), Bontempelli (AFLCA) or Neale at #1. Top 5 is easy, 6-10 could be switched.

Based on 2019:
1. Cripps
2. Bontempelli
3. Dangerfield
4. Fyfe
5. Neale
6. T Kelly
7. Elliot Yeo
8. Jackson Macrae
9. Dustin Martin
10. Scott Pendlebury

If it was ober their careers then obvs Martin would be top 3 and Neale, T Kelly, Macrae etc would drop out.

probably forgot someone, and will probably get called biased for Macraes rating, but I put this together in a few minutes.

Last edited:

cliffdrabble

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Patrick Cripps surely has to be NO.1, then Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe equal no.2. Then Bontempelli at 5. After that you could make a case for about 10 others.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Danger
T Kelly
Neale
Fyfe
Gaff
Sheed
Coniglio
Shuey
Pendy
Sidebottom

As of right now

This post has been screenshoted and sent to Nuffies on AFL Pages. And yes it is a blatant troll, no one with a functioning brain could rate Sidebottom, Sheed or Shuey (amongst others) ahead of the landslide AFLPA MVP of 2019.

gym4life

Norm Smith Medallist
Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL Pokemon is Life
May 22, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
This post has been screenshoted and sent to Nuffies on AFL Pages. And yes it is a blatant troll, no one with a functioning brain could rate Sidebottom, Sheed or Shuey (amongst others) ahead of the landslide AFLPA MVP of 2019.
Shuey came 7th in the AFLCA and is probably the best finals player in the competition. Think he deserves his spot there.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Very true .............. He is better.

Nah. Also I don't think he is a terribly good captain either,
Shuey came 7th in the AFLCA and is probably the best finals player in the competition. Think he deserves his spot there.

But Sidebottom or Sheed in the top ten over Cripps ?? That is just silly.

With Cripps bashing down the door to join them IMO.

All 4 have their unique traits, but I'll name Fyfe as my #1 player in the AFL.
Personally I would have Bont as the one knocking on the door and Cripps a few places behind

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Golden Knights
Nah. Also I don't think he is a terribly good captain either,

But Sidebottom or Sheed in the top ten over Cripps ?? That is just silly.

Go on tell us all how many Freo games you watched this year? If I didn't live in WA, I sure as hell wouldn't be going out of my way to watch them.

I reckon it's safe to presume that you've only seen a few and that you're basing this bad opinion off the fact that he isn't getting as many wraps in the media as he used to because Freo has been a rabble and it was more fun to report on Lyon this season. He's put Freo on his back this season and has had a number of games where he's been miles in front as BOG.

Back