2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for another mock draft. This time I've included some trades for fun as well as the priority pick for Gold Coast, it's probably a best case scenario for Fremantle but still fairly realistic...

The net loss/gain for us is Brad Hill, Ed Langdon and a second round pick (#28) for two first round picks (#7 and #14).

Some of the trades would have added pieces like the Jack Steven, Tim Kelly and Josh Bruce ones. But I think the Bulldogs would be a realistic option to trade up with, as it gives them the chance to turn their one pick into both Bruce and Alex Keath.

No, none of it will happen. But I was bored.
Hi Chris, mitch o Neil not in top 30? And schoenberg? Jye rantall?

Hi Chris, mitch o Neil not in top 30? And schoenberg? Jye rantall?

O'Neill at 31, Rantall at 34 and Schoenberg at 36. So only just missed out.

Time for another mock draft. This time I've included some trades for fun as well as the priority pick for Gold Coast, it's probably a best case scenario for Fremantle but still fairly realistic...

The net loss/gain for us is Brad Hill, Ed Langdon and a second round pick (#28) for two first round picks (#7 and #14).

Some of the trades would have added pieces like the Jack Steven, Tim Kelly and Josh Bruce ones. But I think the Bulldogs would be a realistic option to trade up with, as it gives them the chance to turn their one pick into both Bruce and Alex Keath.

No, none of it will happen. But I was bored.

Ash getting to our pick there is a dream, my favourite defender in the draft. I wouldn't mind getting Flanders at one of those picks either, think the kid is a real talent

If we end up with two top 10 picks on draft night do we take a punt on Brodie Kemp? Could have our first pick developing through the AFL while Kemp’s in rehab then unleash him the year after.
I am a big big fan of Kemp, reckon he could be the best of the draft and at worst a serviceable 3rd tall in the back or forwardline, at best, he could be one of the best mids in the comp.

If we had 6 and 7 and got Stephens and Kemp I would be ecstatic

If we end up with two top 10 picks on draft night do we take a punt on Brodie Kemp? Could have our first pick developing through the AFL while Kemp’s in rehab then unleash him the year after.

If Kemp was in the elk of Sam Walsh possibly. Not sure what the sums are but for every player (especially prior to AFL) that does an ACL
it would seem a significantly reduced career on average across that group. As it stands at the moment I don't think he is in the first nine picks...good medical reports may change that.

I am a big big fan of Kemp, reckon he could be the best of the draft and at worst a serviceable 3rd tall in the back or forwardline, at best, he could be one of the best mids in the comp.

If we had 6 and 7 and got Stephens and Kemp I would be ecstatic

At this stage of our rebuild I would vomit without end if we use a pick like that on a guy with one knee reco under his belt.
It would be muppetry of the highest order

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Judd was a similar risk.
We are in a similar space strategically (if not actual list dynamics) to what we were in around the time Lyon was appointed: If we want a flag we need to take some risks because of where were coming from. The one they took at that time was deciding to hold the list together past tipping point age curve wise, where it was always lopsided due to the shocking state of our list management between 2001 and 2006. This time the risk we will have to take is gambling on rounding out the list through giving up established talent for more than they are worth, having flipped the age profile completely on last time. If the proceeds are well spent we will be a long way in front, luck will play a big role in that however.

Weller + Neale + Hill = Hogan, Brayshaw, Lobb, an additional top 8 pick and currency to complete additional trades in 17, 18 and 19.

A dislocated patella is the same as an ACL now? You're being obtuse for any reason in particular?

It sure as s**t can be.

Just because the initial rehab isn't the same doesn't mean the severity and long term affects of the injury cant be worse.

A dislocated patella is the same as an ACL now? You're being obtuse for any reason in particular?

You're very comfortable drawing comparisons between players injuries when it suits the fear agenda, all I've done is extend the scope of injuries in that comparison an inch more anterior.

The league is full of stories of players who have had outstanding careers after ACL, and sometimes multiple, injuries but I think the similarity between them isn't the knee, it's the absolute drive and professionalism. If he has that, he should still have a great career.

Although he is roughly six times more likely to suffer a re-injury to that knee most of the risk of that can be measured by how the graft has taken and how he has rehabilitated the injury - both of which will be known prior to the draft.

After all that, I'd rather take the Western Australian post shoulder operation.

Although he is roughly six times more likely to suffer a re-injury to that knee most of the risk of that can be measured by how the graft has taken and how he has rehabilitated the injury - both of which will be known prior to the draft.
Actually more likely to injure the other. Agree with you on taking a risk on a shoulder reco rather than ACL though.

You're very comfortable drawing comparisons between players injuries when it suits the fear agenda, all I've done is extend the scope of injuries in that comparison an inch more anterior.

The league is full of stories of players who have had outstanding careers after ACL, and sometimes multiple, injuries but I think the similarity between them isn't the knee, it's the absolute drive and professionalism. If he has that, he should still have a great career.

After all that, I'd rather take the Western Australian post shoulder operation.
Is that medical information available prior to draft?

Chris Judd was a similar risk.

Judd played round 2 2002 only months after the draft. Shoulders were his problem prior Under 18.
Selwood, pick 7 by Geelong despite 4 knee operations prior, regarded by "AFL Talent Manager Kevin Sheehan rating him "the best 17-year-old in Australia".[5] Bendigo Pioneersregional manager Ray Byrne noted that "ability-wise, Joel was streets ahead of everyon"....and many recruiting scouts viewed him as "the finest pure footballer in the draft".

Selwood undoubtedly had the exceptional talent ranking as say Walsh and actually played the 1st round the year after the draft, 18 games.

Hence my point = if Kemp similar talent and not impeded from playing fairly quickly would be top ten. Otherwise the risk/odds against picking too early.

last I read regarding his knee would not be ready before end of season 2020 at the earliest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back