News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I don't think austin was "worrying about a minute long video", he was just offering a counterpoint to everyone heaping praise on it. I for one agree that it was pretty cringeworthy. Not everyone's gonna see things the way people want them to, but by VDS going the man with his tried and true "do you want the club to offer an apology" vibe it's actually counterproductive to a legitimate conversation about our media department, which some of us think has been underperforming for a while.
Well said. I don't see why some of us have to be defensive when a negativ... OK, actually I do see why: it's just club loyalty which is unobjective and a lovely thing.

But that loyalty can have downsides, encouraging us to ignore deficits in our club, which brings us to this latest example.

The Deliveroo promo, and the G-Train membership video was a similar standard last year. I guess they're not BAD but they are pretty lame.

Those Linton St videos George just posted are an example of effective videos done well, so our media crew do have it in them.

I guess the difference with this Deliveroo vid and the G-train vid is they were probably knocked up in a hurry, without heaps of thought or planning. But you don't think that when you watch, you think "How rubbish was that vid?"

It's a sports team, not a university so it doesn't need to be anything particularly high-brow, but why does it have to be so dumb?

It's not even a big deal, I promise I didn't think about it after I made that initial comment, but since criticism is being criticised by our most loyal clubmen, I thought I'd give an explanation so you don't think I'm just a hater.

Edit: I don't like the Talking Jack podcasts either, sorry. JB comes off looking like the village idiot in them and the others just tease him. The ones with Lethlean are alright, though I find the presenter a bit annoying. The solution for most of these problems would be getting someone with smarter ideas involved.

Last edited:
It was a lighthearted bit of fun with Roo and, let’s not forget, announcement of a major sponsor signing together with champ of the club jumping back on board.

I was in advertising ( art director) in my previous (pre-Australia) life and seriously, they weren’t going out to make a Cannes award winning ad/video.
It was fine.
I've done extensive testing and measuring of this stuff.

People are sick of wading through an overload of crap sales messages. They want natural, they want something they can relate to.

It works and without being there, I'd say it was deliberate.

Just amazes me how people will find a negative in literally every single thing the club does. It was a sponsorship announcement. What more do people want? It was a light hearted video and was a bit of a laugh. We should be celebrating the fact we signed a major brand like Deliveroo and Riewoldt is back helping the club, not worrying about a minute long video announcing such. I mean really...
If you say 'a person' and 'some things' instead of 'people' and 'every single thing' then you can avoid falling into superfan hyperbole.

It was a lighthearted bit of fun with Roo and, let’s not forget, announcement of a major sponsor signing together with champ of the club jumping back on board.

I was in advertising ( art director) in my previous (pre-Australia) life and seriously, and really they weren’t going out to make a Cannes award winning ad/video.
It was fine.

Didn't you see my post, DHS? They did set out to win at Cannes and have been nominated in three categories.

Personally, I was moved at a visceral Level. Seeing Riewoldt weave his way past so many suburban icons on his way to returning, prodigal son-like to his spiritual home was poignant, stirring and uplifting.

The clever use of lighting and a stunt double added intrigue and suspense, leading to a surprise twist at the end. Who would've thought it was Roo under the helmet, esecially as he appeared to be a good 10 cm shorter than Milney when they met? Clever.

Every time the clip threatened to veer into the roadside ditch of uber sentimentality, it was quickly pulled back to the reality of a marriage between an AFL club and its food delivery service sponsor.

Pure genius, if you arkse me! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Edit: I don't like the Talking Jack podcasts either, sorry. JB comes off looking like the village idiot in them and the others just tease him. The ones with Lethlean are alright, though I find the presenter a bit annoying. The solution for most of these problems would be getting someone with smarter ideas involved.

Agree on these ones. The problem is the hosts have no affinity for the audience. They don’t really know what fans are thinking so they can’t produce something good for them. They end up in a sea of half-understood in-jokes.

The anchor should be a fan with experience in broadcasting. Plenty of us around.

Didn't you see my post, DHS? They did set out to win at Cannes and have been nominated in three categories.

Personally, I was moved at a visceral Level. Seeing Riewoldt weave his way past so many suburban icons on his way to returning, prodigal son-like to his spiritual home was poignant, stirring and uplifting.

The clever use of lighting and a stunt double added intrigue and suspense, leading to a surprise twist at the end. Who would've thought it was Roo under the helmet, esecially as he appeared to be a good 10 cm shorter than Milney when they met? Clever.

Every time the clip threatened to veer into the roadside ditch of uber sentimentality, it was quickly pulled back to the reality of a marriage between an AFL club and its food delivery service sponsor.

Drake Pommeranz...

Drake, I just want to say, it's the small time critics like yourself that really keep this independent film forum relevant. Many times I've thought about cancelling my account here (the members here seem more concerned with sport than film IMHO) and just moving over to the soulless rotten tomatoes, but it's post like this that keep me coming back! :hearts:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I being over sensitive or is the Sliding Doors segment a little inappropriate in its’ heading, picture and opening paragraph.

Are they really shining the spotlight on Danny Frawley?

Am I being over sensitive or is the Sliding Doors segment a little inappropriate in its’ heading, picture and opening paragraph.

Are they really shining the spotlight on Danny Frawley?

I reckon it’s produced automatically. Spud used in the main photograph at the top of the page, it’ll grab the “If” part from that part of the article automatically.

it’s not a good look, but trying to bash Barrett over it isn’t a good look either. He wouldn’t do something like that for clicks, they were good mates.

just a quirk of the system.

I reckon it’s produced automatically. Spud used in the main photograph at the top of the page, it’ll grab the “If” part from that part of the article automatically.

it’s not a good look, but trying to bash Barrett over it isn’t a good look either. He wouldn’t do something like that for clicks, they were good mates.

just a quirk of the system.
I reckon it was a mistake by Barrett to include it in his “if...then” column and a bigger mistake by the AFL to highlight it in such a tacky way.

Barrett was a friend and work colleague. He’s better placed than you or I to know what’s appropriate for the article.
I thought it was tacky, but I must be wrong because I wasn’t a friend or colleague of Danny.

Barrett was a friend and work colleague. He’s better placed than you or I to know what’s appropriate for the article.
Yep his piece earlier in the week was very good. This week has been horrible for most, Barrett as a close friend would have done it extremely tough. He is hurting and would have not meant in any way to be inappropriate.

I thought it was tacky, but I must be wrong because I wasn’t a friend or colleague of Danny.

Definitely tacky but I'll give him a bit of rope, he'd be pretty shaken up. Probably just puts his name to it anyway.

Definitely tacky but I'll give him a bit of rope, he'd be pretty shaken up. Probably just puts his name to it anyway.
I just think it didn’t belong in that column. The AFL made it heaps worse in the way they highlighted it.

And then there was this.

EETMBMjU8AEwtxM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back