Rumour Willie Rioli allegedly caught tampering with a drug testing sample

Remove this Banner Ad

how can they be hiding the other?

Probably involves a player not currently playing so they want to deliver the news when it has the least impact on the AFL image, I'm just guessing...?

had the worst stage fright ever.

My understanding is that it was a female chaperone who was looking at Willie, so he did get massive stage fright.
Still don't get why you wouldn't just say you can't go...

It's not a case of the tester seeing him do it and then telling him to try again, tampering with a sample is a sanctionable offence and a tester just providing their description of an attempt to tamper is insufficient proof. Everyone is assuming that (a) the tester didn't see him do it, or that (b) if the tester did see him do it, they'd just tell him to stop messing around and try again, which is not the case.

Instead it would be something like the below;
  • Willie attempts to mix Gatorade popular sports drink in with his sample via some means.
  • Tester witnesses him do this.
  • Tester notes said behaviour.
  • Sample is sealed and sent for analysis.
  • Analysis comes back confirming testers version of events.
  • Athlete is sanctioned for tampering with a sample.

From what I've read the tester can also (once in possession of the first sample) ask Willie to provide a second - untampered with - sample for analysis.

Post of the thread. I don't understand how people cannot fathom this process and what happened.

There was no slight of hand, there was no "how did the testing officer miss seeing him do it". It was fully observed by the tester, and contrary to what people like Paul Chapman on twitter think, you can't just disregard the actions and wait for him to provide another sample (as rules also state they require the first sample after notification, not a subsequent one). It needs to be reported and was.

Rioli would know what he did was wrong. It doesn't matter whether any further samples come back negative, and whether Rioli did it as a joke, if the proper process was followed by the testing officer (which it seems it was), then Rioli is screwed and will be getting a sanction.

Probably involves a player not currently playing so they want to deliver the news when it has the least impact on the AFL image, I'm just guessing...?

My understanding is that it was a female chaperone who was looking at Willie, so he did get massive stage fright.
Still don't get why you wouldn't just say you can't go...
Doesn't work like that. They don't let you off, you can't get out of it. They wait with you until you provide a sample.

Post of the thread. I don't understand how people cannot fathom this process and what happened.

There was no slight of hand, there was no "how did the testing officer miss seeing him do it". It was fully observed by the tester, and contrary to what people like Paul Chapman on twitter think, you can't just disregard the actions and wait for him to provide another sample (as rules also state they require the first sample after notification, not a subsequent one). It needs to be reported and was.

Rioli would know what he did was wrong. It doesn't matter whether any further samples come back negative, and whether Rioli did it as a joke, if the proper process was followed by the testing officer (which it seems it was), then Rioli is screwed and will be getting a sanction.
Lots of people mainly west coast supporters can’t comprehend that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has apologised online.

Apparently he got caught putting something in his first wee and was made to do another. The club immediately confiscated his phone.

Last edited:
Still find it hard to believe that he'd pour Gatorade into the sample in front of the chaperone and thought he could get away with it....
Maybe he didn't actually realise that it would be considered tampering.

Piss in a cup, not provide enough of a sample because its after training and you're dehydrated as *. Get sick of having to wait around to try and provide more, so figure just top up the same with some yellow gatorade so he can go home. Gets caught and told to provide another sample after getting caught, so might've figured that there wasn't much of a problem.

Or the former fatty, that likes food and skin fold tests aren't his friend has been taking diet pills to help with his weight. So he paniced and was trying to cover that up.

Piss in a cup, not provide enough of a sample because its after training and you're dehydrated as fu**. Get sick of having to wait around to try and provide more, so figure just top up the same with some yellow gatorade so he can go home. Gets caught and told to provide another sample after getting caught, so might've figured that there wasn't much of a problem.

Or the former fatty, that likes food and skin fold tests aren't his friend has been taking diet pills to help with his weight. So he paniced and was trying to cover that up.
5577E735-ED08-4A82-9610-72E344914AB9.jpeg

Piss in a cup, not provide enough of a sample because its after training and you're dehydrated as fu**. Get sick of having to wait around to try and provide more, so figure just top up the same with some yellow gatorade so he can go home. Gets caught and told to provide another sample after getting caught, so might've figured that there wasn't much of a problem.
Pretty sure it wasn’t his first rodeo in providing a sample, so I’m in no doubt that he would know you can’t just pour other stuff in it.

Whatever the reason he did it, he would have been full aware it was wrong. Even his tweet admits he made a mistake.

Pretty sure it wasn’t his first rodeo in providing a sample, so I’m in no doubt that he would know you can’t just pour other stuff in it.

Whatever the reason he did it, he would have been full aware it was wrong. Even his tweet admits he made a mistake.
a "lil mistake" in his words.

The athletes know the deal, no way it was a 'gag' he was trying to pull. Young man makes a stupid mistake to cover up whatever he felt he needed to cover

a "lil mistake" in his words.

The athletes know the deal, no way it was a 'gag' he was trying to pull. Young man makes a stupid mistake to cover up whatever he felt he needed to cover
Yep. As I mentioned earlier, the results of the samples now are really immaterial (even a negative result).

If due course was followed properly by the doping testers, he’s toast and will be sanctioned accordingly. If he can find some sort of technicality (as others before him have tried), then he may have it quashed but that’s a long drawn out process and rarely successful.

After listening to Lewis and others describing the collection procedure, the question is, how did this happen?
Pretty simple. He poured a sports drink into his sample while the testers were watching him.

It is very intriguing that he has lost so much weight and kept it off (he was a genuine porker). Looking forward to finding out what was in the real wee...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back