Game Day Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s be serious for a second, if Cotchin, Dusty or Jack did what Hawkins did last night, do you reckon cats fans would be saying what they are saying? No way. No point even discussing it with them. They will be irrational on the Hawkins subject.
No of course not. By the same token we would be sighting ridiculous comparisons to defend them. What a wonderful world.

This will be the only time I will say this, but I’m barracking for Geelong next Friday against Richmond. Hoping we can get the job done next Saturday againtst either GWS or Brisbane.

Bad luck Eagles. I'd been hoping for a WCE v Richmond (if tiges are lucky enough to make it) for a while, and when that was impossible thought a prelim would be epic. At least you've got 2018 for consolation. 2017 definitely made 2018 a little more bearable for us tigers..

Not nitpicking, or trying to start a fight, but everyone bar Richmond supporters felt Cotchin was lucky to get off for the GF in 2017. Players just don’t get suspended in finals unless it’s just a massively obvious thing.

Sorry dude, but our board thought he was gone (due to that stupid three strikes rule they had in 2017)

The MRO or what ever the * it was called then has always been as inconsistent as *, esp if you're a name player. Fwiw our board is expecting Hawkins will get a fine and that's it. Not because of any anti Richmond conspiracy bullshit, just because that's how the MRO rolls (as we saw with Greene, and before that with the busted throat)

Let’s be serious for a second, if Cotchin, Dusty or Jack did what Hawkins did last night, do you reckon cats fans would be saying what they are saying? No way. No point even discussing it with them. They will be irrational on the Hawkins subject.

Of course there will be bias. He deserves a week no doubt, but so did Cotchin in the 2017 prelim. So did Greene last week. That's where people will get rightfully annoyed if it doesn't go our way. No one wants to see the best players missing finals, not if you're a decent footy supporter anyway.

Sorry dude, but our board thought he was gone (due to that stupid three strikes rule they had in 2017)

The MRO or what ever the fu** it was called then has always been as inconsistent as fu**, esp if you're a name player. Fwiw our board is expecting Hawkins will get a fine and that's it. Not because of any anti Richmond conspiracy bulls**t, just because that's how the MRO rolls (as we saw with Greene, and before that with the busted throat)

No they have been entirely consistent. Whenever a big money player in a big money game does something bad they don't get suspended.

The MRO or what ever the fu** it was called then has always been as inconsistent as fu**, esp if you're a name player. Fwiw our board is expecting Hawkins will get a fine and that's it. Not because of any anti Richmond conspiracy bulls**t, just because that's how the MRO rolls (as we saw with Greene, and before that with the busted throat)
Yeah agreed. And similar to what someone else said to me yesterday, it’s not about finals incident outcomes matching H&A incident outcomes, it should be the H&A incident outcomes match finals incident outcomes. Our game is becoming far too soft, so if less people are copping silly suspensions, the better.

Of course there will be bias. He deserves a week no doubt, but so did Cotchin in the 2017 prelim. So did Greene last week. That's where people will get rightfully annoyed if it doesn't go our way. No one wants to see the best players missing finals, not if you're a decent footy supporter anyway.

Always happy to see the best play, but one distinction between Cotchin and the other two, if you have ever played the game (or coached like i have as well),how Cotchin attacked that ball that’s actually how you do it. He got there a split second before Shiel did who was open. Shiel played the rest of the quarter and racked it up. What stuffed him was a massive collision afterwards with Astbury. I know because i was there and saw it.
I still can’t believe Greene got off with raking the face and hair pulling. That’s a non football act - different to Cotchins.
Hawkins whacked a bloke 100m off the ball behind play. It’s worth a week. Again, a non football act, different to Cotchins.
BUT, the AFL will see to it he gets a fine and plays. We all know it’s coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they have been entirely consistent. Whenever a big money player in a big money game does something bad they don't get suspended.
If we can get more outcomes like this across the board for ALL players irrespective of importance of the next week’s game, the game will be better. Our game is better when we aren’t suspending players for soft crap.

EDIT: We just want consistency though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No of course not. By the same token we would be sighting ridiculous comparisons to defend them. What a wonderful world.

What i find remarkable about our awesome MRP is you aren’t allowed to use previous incidents in your defence. So Martin when he whacked DeBoar for example couldn’t use Mitchell elbowing Goldstein in the head behind play as a defence. How dumb and stupid. It’s set up to be inconsistent and fail. Mind blowing.

Always happy to see the best play, but one distinction between Cotchin and the other two, if you have ever played the game (or coached like i have as well),how Cotchin attacked that ball that’s actually how you do it. He got there a split second before Shiel did who was open. Shiel played the rest of the quarter and racked it up. What stuffed him was a massive collision afterwards with Astbury. I know because i was there and saw it.
I still can’t believe Greene got off with raking the face and hair pulling. That’s a non football act - different to Cotchins.
Hawkins whacked a bloke 100m off the ball behind play. It’s worth a week. Again, a non football act, different to Cotchins.
BUT, the AFL will see to it he gets a fine and plays. We all know it’s coming.

Fair enough. I don't agree re Cotchin, however, I was actually pleased to see him get off as I don't agree with the best players being on the sidelines in a final. Unless it's something like a Barry Hall on Staker type of thuggery. I do however fully agree with your Hawkins assessment. It's technically a week. He'll get done mate, I'm not sure why everyone gets so worked up about it anyway. If the Tigers are confident of beating us, does it matter if he plays? If you guys are good enough, you'll win anyway.

If we can get more outcomes like this across the board for ALL players irrespective of importance of the next week’s game, the game will be better. Our game is better when we aren’t suspending players for soft crap.

EDIT: We just want consistency though.
Our game is better when soft utensils aren’t throwing hits from behind.

If you want to go the biff, do it front on. Even better. Have some respect for people who actually compete in combat sports and get in the ring. That takes guts. Unlike throwing hits from behind on a footy field.

Nah many of us - probably most - recognised this was a danger game. We were fairly confident, but not overly arrogant, aside from a few. But yeah, gotta give it to the Cats, were better and harder at it.

Respect for copping it on the chin and perhaps it was different this week, but take that top 4/pretenders thread that was going throughout the season: it was like a competition between West Coast supporters to see who could be the most insulting/disrespectful towards Geelong.

Our game is better when soft utensils aren’t throwing hits from behind.

If you want to go the biff, do it front on. Even better. Have some respect for people who actually compete in combat sports and get in the ring. That takes guts. Unlike throwing hits from behind on a footy field.
Whilst Hawkins was silly, and he warrants a reprimand of some sort, I’d hardly classify his hit as a dog act (Dunne on Greening, Hall on Stalker, Gaff on Brayshaw ect) he wasn’t going to break his jaw. If it had really connected and there is a facial break/concussion, than I’d agree with you.

Hawkins isn’t a thug, so I don’t think he has history to warrant a suspension.

Respect for copping it on the chin and perhaps it was different this week, but take that top 4/pretenders thread that was going throughout the season: it was like a competition between West Coast supporters to see who could be the most insulting/disrespectful towards Geelong.
When west coast were on, they looked better. Their problem was they only played like that for about 15 minutes
Geelong played a much more consistent game.

Whilst Hawkins was silly, and he warrants a reprimand of some sort, I’d hardly classify his hit as a dog act (Dunne on Greening, Hall on Stalker, Gaff on Brayshaw ect) he wasn’t going to break his jaw. If it had really connected and there is a facial break/concussion, than I’d agree with you.

Hawkins isn’t a thug, so I don’t think he has history to warrant a suspension.
The result isn’t anything to do with my point. The result just changes the degree. If you’re going to throw an arm or fist at a bloke from behind when he isn’t expecting it, you’re piss weak.

It’s soft to throw a hit from behind. Not sure how condoning that “makes the game better”. They’re the kind of pricks you hate playing with, because you end up having to fly the flag for them even though they deserve what they cop.

The result isn’t anything to do with my point. The result just changes the degree. If you’re going to throw an arm or fist at a bloke from behind when he isn’t expecting it, you’re piss weak.

It’s soft to throw a hit from behind. Not sure how condoning that “makes the game better”. They’re the kind of pricks you hate playing with, because you end up having to fly the flag for them even though they deserve what they cop.
Was Schofield scrapping and getting under Hawkins’ skin prior? Genuine question.

It’s not something I see as a regular part of Hawkins’ game.

It works the other way where you get scraggers/scrappers like Baker and Crawley who ended up getting what they deserved which got the other player in hot water because they lashed out.

Was Schofield scrapping and getting under Hawkins’ skin prior? Genuine question.

It’s not something I see as a regular part of Hawkins’ game.

It works the other way where you get scraggers/scrappers like Baker and Crawley who ended up getting what they deserved which got the other player in hot water because they lashed out.
Who gives a s**t? If they’re getting under your skin and you feel the need to belt them. Square up to them. If Hawkins wanted “payback” then he’s even softer, confront head on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back