List Mgmt. The Kelly and All Draft and Trades Discussion Thread- #freetim #ITSHAPPENING

What will we pay for Kelly?

• 2019 1st, future 2020 1st and 2nd for Kelly and their 2020 2nd

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • 2019 1st and future 2020 1st

Votes: 99 46.9%
  • 2019 1st plus a player e.g. Petrucelle, Brander

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • 4th rounder and Kurt Mutimer

Votes: 35 16.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A deal will be made. Clubs are not gonna throw away good faith when the player wants to go somewhere, because when it's their turn to lure a player home, they'll want to be treated much the same.

It's rare that clubs chuck hissy fits and take a stand. You can get away with it when you've been screwed over a few times by players leaving, but the Cats have had it good with their come home factor in recent years. Would be idiotic to make themselves be seen as little bitches over an out of contract player wanting to go to one club.

And Fremantle should be smart enough to realise they shouldn't try and up the price by bidding, lest when the shoe is on the other foot we'll stand in their way. Both clubs get the players they want, the other club may ask the question but rarely if ever do we get in each other's way if the player picks his destination.

Nah, that's ridiculous.

Geelong had to give a top 10 pick for Danger, but most importantly wait for him to become a FA.

TK is a long way from being a FA. Circa 6 years. I'm not sure WC can get him if Geelong choose to retain him

Geelong had to give a top 10 pick for Danger, but most importantly wait for him to become a FA.

TK is a long way from being a FA. Circa 6 years. I'm not sure WC can get him if Geelong choose to retain him
He's out of contract and wants to leave

He's out of contract and wants to leave

I really don't get the rules with trades. Don't players need to give a certain number of years of service regardless of contract status? Otherwise many more players under 25 (that have given their years of service) would be able to elect a trade.

I thought the only ones that can elect to leave freely when OOC were Free agents.

How many other players have gone this path?

Heard this question on SEN last week. One was Nick Stevens. He wanted to go to Collingwood, Port knocked back every possible offer, lost him for nothing and Carlton got him in the pre season draft.

I really don't get the rules with trades. Don't players need to give a certain number of years of service regardless of contract status? Otherwise many more players under 25 (that have given their years of service) would be able to elect a trade.

I thought the only ones that can elect to leave freely when OOC were Free agents.
Treloar, Boyd, Adams, Hoskin-Elliott, Steele are a few recent young players who were all allowed to go home to the club of their choice in a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar, Boyd, Adams, Hoskin-Elliott, Steele are a few recent young players who were all allowed to go home to the club of their choice in a trade.
Treloar cost Collingwood 2x first round picks and was only done in the last 30 mins of trading.

Hoskin-Elliot was playing seconds and cost a pick in the 20s. It was done early and all parties were happy.

It was Adams for Shaw which was fair.

And finally the cats may point to Beams where the Pies gave up 2x 1st round picks for him.

One weakness the Pies have in my opinion is giving up way too much in terms of draft picks for top players. Always seem to blink at the ‘death’. Beams should not have cost any more than our 2018 first (which we didn’t need because of academy player). He wanted to only play at the Pies due to his mental health issues. I’d doubt when it came to the crunch the Lions would have forced him to stay up there.

Anyway, Kelly is a better player and so valuable to the Cats, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the compare it to the Beams trade. And rightfully so IMO

Treloar cost Collingwood 2x first round picks and was only done in the last 30 mins of trading.

Hoskin-Elliot was playing seconds and cost a pick in the 20s. It was done early and all parties were happy.

And finally the cats may point to Beams where the Pies gave up 2x 1st round picks for him.

One weakness the Pies have in my opinion is giving up way too much in terms of draft picks for top players. Always seem to blink at the ‘death’. Beams should not have cost any more than our 2018 first (which we didn’t need because of academy player). He wanted to only play at the Pies due to his mental health issues. I’d doubt when it came to the crunch the Lions would have forced him to stay up there.

Anyway, Kelly is a better player and so valuable to the Cats, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the compare it to the Beams trade. And rightfully so IMO
Yes we are not disputing there is a price to pay. The question was asked don't players need to be free agents before they can request a trade? The answer is yes but there are a host of examples , as listed, of players requesting a trade AND getting to their club of choice prior to becoming FAs. Kelly's reasoning is arguably stronger than most those listed yet the narrative in the media is that of outrage that Kelly has a preferred club.
The deal will get done, We will likely pay more than most would like and Cats fans will feel ripped off. Which probably means a fair deal.

Kelly kicked a few goals in the first half, but then went missing in the second half apart from a few cheapies in the last quarter. Is prone to “hack forward”

Hasn’t had the best final series. Danger is carrying that team. Still I think our issue is winning enough H&A games to finish top 2 which is what I think he will be able to help us do, like Geelong.

I’d be happy to give our 2 firsts but ask for their second back next year. With any luck, Geelong won’t make the finals next year and our first will only be downgraded by 7-10 positions. It also means we have pick 22 in this draft for some decent talent.

Come on, it's not like you gave up a couple of top ten picks for Beams. The trade was two very late first rounders and a late third rounder for Beams and a couple of early third rounders. I wouldn't say you exactly broke the bank to get him back, in fact I'd say that's very close in value to what we are likely going to offer for Kelly, our first rounder this year and Sydney's early second round pick which we own.

Trying to be philosophical about this one in terms of what will he cost.

Like most here I would like only a first and a second involved , but suspect that we will maybe give up this years first and next years first , with something coming back our way.

Generalisation I admit , but most of us on these boards ( oh and I include myself on that list ) get overly enamoured with early draft picks and get emotionally attached to them and consequently don't want to give them up.
Reality is draft picks are a bit of a gamble :diamondsuit::clubsemoji: :heartssuit::spadesemoji: and a crap shoot :gamedie::gamedie::gamedie::gamedie::gamedie:.

So if we need to give up two firsts to get Kelly I can live with that , because , and lets be honest here, our recruiting department hasn't been able to draft us an A grade midfielder since Shuey , but we have traded in Yeo.

If we pick up Kelly we at least know exactly what we are going to get, whereas as young kid may / or may not work out.

Our side is in the hunt for another :trophy: in the here and now, so whilst it grates me somewhat to have to say this, BUT , we need to add another A grade midfielder , who is capable of having an immediate impact and we need to do it ASAP , Kelly fits that brief . ✅✅✅

Just get him and move forward as a list better and stronger into 2020 , having improved in an area of real weakness.

Trying to be philosophical about this one in terms of what will he cost.

Like most here I would like only a first and a second involved , but suspect that we will maybe give up this years first and next years first , with something coming back our way.

Generalisation I admit , but most of us on these boards ( oh and I include myself on that list ) get overly enamoured with early draft picks and get emotionally attached to them and consequently don't want to give them up.
Reality is draft picks are a bit of a gamble :diamondsuit::clubsemoji: :heartssuit::spadesemoji: and a crap shoot :gamedie::gamedie::gamedie::gamedie::gamedie:.

So if we need to give up two firsts to get Kelly I can live with that , because , and lets be honest here, our recruiting department hasn't been able to draft us an A grade midfielder since Shuey , but we have traded in Yeo.

If we pick up Kelly we at least know exactly what we are going to get, whereas as young kid may / or may not work out.

Our side is in the hunt for another :trophy: in the here and now, so whilst it grates me somewhat to have to say this, BUT , we need to add another A grade midfielder , who is capable of having an immediate impact and we need to do it ASAP , Kelly fits that brief . ✅✅✅

Just get him and move forward as a list better and stronger into 2020 , having improved in an area of real weakness.
I'm with you Monocle. The deal just needs to get done. If going by what Dylan82 had heard is true. A deal had already been agreed upon. however, there is one midfielder I want from WA's crop this draft and as much as I like Devon Robertson, it's not him. Its your man:

AugPhantom-Form-Guide-22.jpg

30/7/01
188cm/85kg
Western Australia/East Fremantle
Defender
July ranking: -

The West Australian medium defender has shown he can also play in the midfield at stages, where his size and shape is beneficial in winning the ball and getting it out. Rivers is a damaging player in that he can hustle opponents out of the contest, get the ball himself and then make things happen from half-back. Averaged 22 disposals at 77 per cent efficiency at the championships to be named an All Australian.

I’m excited to see what Kelly brings. I hope there’s a strong focus on adding to his defensive accountability though. Have watched him fairly closely in the second half of this season and his lack of two-way running is notable

Yes we are not disputing there is a price to pay. The question was asked don't players need to be free agents before they can request a trade? The answer is yes but there are a host of examples , as listed, of players requesting a trade AND getting to their club of choice prior to becoming FAs. Kelly's reasoning is arguably stronger than most those listed yet the narrative in the media is that of outrage that Kelly has a preferred club.
The deal will get done, We will likely pay more than most would like and Cats fans will feel ripped off. Which probably means a fair deal.

Most have preferred clubs. Beams was contracted both when we traded him to the Lions and when the Lions traded him back. He had his preferred club. When we traded him to the Lions to be close to his sick father he would not entertain the GC.

So not sure what the issue is. Happens all the time.

Most have preferred clubs. Beams was contracted both when we traded him to the Lions and when the Lions traded him back. He had his preferred club. When we traded him to the Lions to be close to his sick father he would not entertain the GC.

So not sure what the issue is. Happens all the time.
Because Gold Coast are never going to win anything, and Kelly knows the same can be said for Fremantle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back