Discussion Finals Series 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m usually a huge advocate for the survival of white shorts, though would argue tonight’s contrast to be only marginally better than last week’s.

Not really, they’ve been doing it all year. Before this year they obviously didn’t, and since the photos were taken between last year and this year, it would have been assumed that was the case again.

Wrong mate not this season

This season, including finals for the first time since the 90s or early 00s, Geelong have been back in Blue shorts for all home games.

Prior to this, they have been wearing white shorts in most home games as well as all finals

Prior to that, they were in Blue shorts for home games except finals

This year's change is the result of old mate Hocking now working for the AFL.

The white shorts rule bugs me more than ever given the inconsistencies it creates. Geelong mainly white, so put oppo in white shorts??!!

This matchup is acceptable from a clash POV I must admit, but it's not the ideal matchup, it's not even the second best matchup (both in home shorts would be better IMO), but there is certainly sufficient contrast.
Upon further viewing, it was marginal really. Just made for a very messy look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I right that the notional home team for the Grand Final would be in this order based on Qualifying Finals then ladder position?

Richmond
Collingwood
Geelong
Brisbane/GWS?

The most recent confirmation from the AFL is that its just ladder position. So if Geelong were to make the GF, they’d still be the home team. I have no doubt though that for the GF - especially if its against Collingwood - Geelong would be in white shorts.

The most recent confirmation from the AFL is that its just ladder position. So if Geelong were to make the GF, they’d still be the home team. I have no doubt though that for the GF - especially if its against Collingwood - Geelong would be in white shorts.
I have doubts. Very strong doubts. Particularly if it isn't against Collingwood.

If the AFL want to persist with white shorts, then the best solution would be for Geelong to make a blue-based home jumper, ala North Melbourne. Maybe it could be as simple as a blue back, similar to Sydney. After all, there is a reason why Sydney doesn't have any problems with thier white-based home jumper.

How can BL vs GWS play in their traditional kits earlier this season yet clash in Finals- doesnt make sense.
Yet Geel vs Coll final in those shorts makes sense to the AFL.
Victorian-centric at it finest.
It’s not Vic-centric, but a couple of very arrogant clubs with their equally arrogant presidents, making out that they deserve ‘home finals’ and we have no ‘agreements’ etc.

How can BL and GWS play in their traditional kits earlier this
It’s not Vic-centric, but a couple of very arrogant clubs with their equally arrogant presidents, making out that they deserve ‘home finals’ and we have no ‘agreements’ etc.
AFL bows to Vic president, AFL wanted Vic teams to look traditional, AFL doesnt see nonVics in the same way

AFL bows to Vic president,
More like Geelong-based (former Head of Football) AFL General Manager of Football Operations bows to Geelong President that gave him said job as Head of Football at Geelong.

Giants will be in home with white shorts next week. Would charcoal shorts be better or worse?
Given all the orange making a bright back and a somewhat bright front the white should be fine, and get us as close to light vs dark as you can get when Collingwood have so much white too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back