Game Day Second Semi-Final - Lions v Giants, Saturday 14th September, Gabba, 7.25pm

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder

Where and when: the Gabba, Saturday September 14, 7.25pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Brisbane:
After finishing second at the end of the home and away season, the Lions would hate to bow out in straight sets with two finals losses at home. This match represents a chance to overcome the disappointment of wasting so many opportunities against Richmond just seven days earlier.

What it means for Greater Western Sydney: There's always pressure on the Giants in September, and after disposing of the red-hot Western Bulldogs, the path is now open for them to make a deep run. Leon Cameron's seasoned finals outfit would see the younger Lions as very gettable.

The stat: Brisbane broke a six-game losing streak against GWS in round 16, but it hasn't been victorious over the Giants since 2013 at the Gabba.

The match-up: Lachie Neale v Matt de Boer
The Giants tagger has been in sensational form this year, adding the scalp of Marcus Bontempelli to his resume last week by restricting the Bulldogs' superstar to just 13 disposals. Can de Boer quieten his former Fremantle teammate Neale, who is fresh from 37 touches and two goals against Richmond?

It's a big week for: The eyes of the footy public will be on Toby Greene after the star half-forward escaped suspension on Monday night. If there's one Giant who doesn't mind playing with the spotlight on him, it's Greene, who has made a habit of lifting his game a notch or two come finals time.

Big call: Cam Rayner to embrace the bright lights of the finals and kick three goals among his 15 disposals.

===========================================================================
From Land of the Giants Preview thread

Great result yesterday afternoon, and very satisfying to reverse the embarrassment of Round 22. We were on from the first bounce, and never really in serious trouble.

It was almost deja vu from last year. Remember? The Swans accounted for us at home very late in the season, only to have the result overturned convincingly in the EF.

Now for next Saturday, and we certainly don't want anymore deja vu.

Brisbane has been the “feel good” story of 2019, enjoying a remarkable rise up the ladder after many years in the doldrums. We got a taste of their improvement back in Round 16. They jumped out of the blocks that day and led by 20 points at the first break, which became the winning margin. We were expected to continue our long dominance over them; the last time they lowered our colours was six years ago. But we were never in the hunt.

We are now, or at least we will be, if we maintain the sort of pressure we showed with the Bulldogs. I was surprised to learn that despite the 47-point margin, the Lions actually had the edge on Richmond in several key statistics, including clearances (44-39), contested possessions (157-144), scoring shots (25-22), turnovers (67-77) and especially inside 50s (65-54). However, they were very wasteful, kicking 8.17, and inaccuracy like that is usually caused by pressure.

The problem Brisbane have is that after riding a wave of euphoria for most of the season, Richmond have now well and truly burst their bubble, first at the MCG and then at home. It remains to be seen if we can capitalise on it. EF final winners usually go on to lose the following week. It happened to us last year versus Collingwood. The betting markets don’t give us much chance.

It’s notable that only three clubs kicked more than 100 points this week – West Coast, Richmond and ourselves. None of the others managed to kick even 10 goals, including Brisbane. Is that an omen? Scoring prowess matters at this time of year. It’s something to think about.

With the line-up, it’s a shame about Deledio. What’s almost certain to be his final calf injury will force at least one change.Tomlinson might get a recall after being dropped against the Dogs. Whatever his other shortcomings, he does have finals experience. I can’t see Leon wanting to make too many changes in an otherwise successful line-up.

I think we’ve got enough history under our belts in big finals to get over the line, so I’ve decided to take the plunge and head up north. I haven’t been to the Gabba for years and always enjoy it. If we win, Coniglio will be back for the PF, and I think that might add a bit of extra motivation, as the boys are very tight-knit.

It will be a cracker, so let’s go Giants, let’s go! :thumbsu:

Last edited by a moderator:

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
With all the injuries and inconsistency, the coach must go, the sports science questions, and this or that player should go. Add the news whirlwinds of who’s going to another club.
Here we are. One step closer.
I feel like it is all coming together here at the right time.
I’m also happy in the though that the Lions are a great team and earnt their spot, as have we.
May the best team win.
Go Giants. Carve ‘em up.

Don't worry dlanod at least you have someone to barrack for next week regardless of today's outcome, bit like me at this year's GF 👍👍
You're barracking for Richmond or whoever plays them??? Weird.

Brisbane 29 to 12 degrees. Hope it’s cooled down enough at 7:30.
It's a stinker (relatively speaking). Missing the shorts, but that's the price of only carry on.

How do Giants fans feel about De Boer, Reid and Lloyd all playing in the same side? Just feels a bit samey and a bit overly defensive up front.
No problems. Lloyd hits the scoreboard well and the other two lock down AND win the ball.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
How do Giants fans feel about De Boer, Reid and Lloyd all playing in the same side? Just feels a bit samey and a bit overly defensive up front.
I feel with quite an offensive minded team, 3 defensive minded players on each line (Reid in defence, MDB in midfield and Lloyd in attack) gives us a good balance

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Those 3 guys have proven themselves this year. I have no problems with them in the team.
No problems. Lloyd hits the scoreboard well and the other two lock down AND win the ball.
I’ve a lot of time for Lloyd. He’s just steady.
I feel with quite an offensive minded team, 3 defensive minded players on each line (Reid in defence, MDB in midfield and Lloyd in attack) gives us a good balance

Fair enough. I was probably thinking to myself that Reid and De Boer spend more time in the forward line than they actually do in reality.

I guess every side needs their role players, but those three, along with Tomlinson, just feels like a lot of workmanlike "vanilla" in the Giants side. At the same time, you can't have 22 superstars out there, and you can only go with the squad and players you have available.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Fair enough. I was probably thinking to myself that Reid and De Boer spend more time in the forward line than they actually do in reality.

I guess every side needs their role players, but those three, along with Tomlinson, just feels like a lot of workmanlike "vanilla" in the Giants side. At the same time, you can't have 22 superstars out there, and you can only go with the squad and players you have available.
Agree. Reid is reasonably quick. Tomlinson, Lloyd plus Perryman a little one paced and can be exposed. All are brave which gets a finals tick.

There were quite a few Giants on various flights heading out of Sydney.

We might get seen AND heard.;)
Three on my flight, one in my hotel just wandering past and another at the brewery I just visited. Not bad.

Back