Game Day Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants - Semi Finals - Sat 14 Sep, 7:25PM AEST, Gabba. No umpire complaints until after the game.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Disgraceful! how do three umpires miss this when the stakes are so high! blatantly cheating!

giphy.gif

Easily? Have you ever umpired a game? People seem to have the idea that everything must be seen and no mistakes can be made. Umpires make less errors than players do, yet get the most criticism for "costing games". Granted that throw was ugly. But its a game of angles, look at all the players around him, and then the Lions player in front of Kelly. The only angle you could clearly pick up the throw is if you're standing on the lower right side of the screen. Its a game of angles, 360 degrees. One degree different either direction can alter perception to what you see. Also take into account not ALL umpires are looking at the ball carrier, some would be looking around the ball carrier for other infringements. If everyone watched the ball, many things will be missed.

I hate poor umpiring and calls as anyone. But the level of umpire bashing these days is now on a cultural level, where its now a right. Find ONE game day thread this year where people on the losing team haven't blamed umpires?

As someone who umpired a handful of games as a teenager, I grew to respect how freaking hard it was, and how easy it was to miss things. Got abuse as well, and in the end decided that its not for me.

It sucks the throw was missed, but the footage clearly shows no umpire appears to be in eye line of that gap on the lower left of the screen where you have front on view of Kelly. Anywhere else is blocked by players. Rule of umpiring is you only pay something if you're 100 percent sure of it, not 90 percent, 100 percent. The answer to how it COULD be missed is pretty much common sense and on the screen, but people don't analyze it that way. Not to mention the speed of the game these days as well.

The umpiring standard of this game WAS poor don't get me wrong. I'm just pointing out the over heated reactions on this specific play like it was the most easiest thing to see in the world.

If anything the Lions reckless bombing inside 50 when they hard control for much of the last quarter, when you have two of the best inceptors in the league at GWS probably cost them more. Tactically the wrong way to go about it.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Disgraceful! how do three umpires miss this when the stakes are so high! blatantly cheating!

giphy.gif
Do they umpires see the game in slow motion do they? And are they up on cherry pickers looking down at the perfect angle?

Everyone is 100% certain when slow motion is played from the most conclusive angle.

Blatent throw , after all the kicks given how could that be missed by 3 umpires when it determined the result ?
It's a disgrace and it smells
What about the one that led to Hipwoods goal?

Show me ? Did that determine the result ? NO . there was an agenda for sure
If that was against the Tigers or pies there would have been a riot
Ok have a look. And take note of the umpire 2 meters away.
Damn cheaters!

Clearly hands him the ball, not a legal disposal. If Brisbane won it would've determined the result.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Blatent throw , after all the kicks given how could that be missed by 3 umpires when it determined the result ?
It's a disgrace and it smells
Take a look at the Hipwood goal and explain how that was a “legal” disposal.

Take a look at the Christiansen goal that put them in front and tell me how that was a free kick?

Take a look at their first goal.... oh wait you can’t, it was so far away from where the ball was (and where the ball was going) that no camera managed to see it.

It didn’t “determine” the game at all. Not even close.

afl genius

Club Legend
May 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
So am I right? The resting QF winners now meet the two sides who beat the living suitcases out of them H&A? Perfect setup.

No idea who should be faves but cats the side to beat all year.

At least the Pies will know that GWS doesnt switch to the fat side, like ever, went long down the line 20x in a row that last Q.

Pretty clear Tigers are red hot favorites for the flag. Pies the likely opponent

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What lost the game was Brisbane’s inability to find a forward. Repeated forward entries just kept going to a GWS defender. They totally blew their chances with dumb football....and once again inaccuracy.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Take a look at the Hipwood goal and explain how that was a “legal” disposal.

Take a look at the Christiansen goal that put them in front and tell me how that was a free kick?

Take a look at their first goal.... oh wait you can’t, it was so far away from where the ball was (and where the ball was going) that no camera managed to see it.

It didn’t “determine” the game at all. Not even close.
So says one of the 10 ex rugby GWS supporters ! Wtf would you know ? Yes I can reel off easy dozen GWS gifts if you like but fact is your last goal the one that determined the result was a fact . End of story

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
So says one of the 10 ex rugby GWS supporters ! Wtf would you know ? Yes I can reel off easy dozen GWS gifts if you like but fact is your last goal the one that determined the result was a fact . End of story
Take to loss on the chin, not like a whinging bitch.

Brisbane's awful F50 entries flushed the game down the toilet, blame the coach and players.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

The last goal did not determine the result because without the 11 before it, it would have counted for nothing. Same as the Hipwood goal - without the other 10 you wouldn’t even be close.

BTW, I’m not an ex-rugby supporter at all. I’m a current rugby supporter (though the season is over). I’m also a current rugby league supporter. What on earth gave you the impression I was an ex-anything?

Your ignorance is only dwarfed by your saltiness.

You lost with the umpires in your pocket for most of the game. Deal with it and move on.

The last goal did not determine the result because without the 11 before it, it would have counted for nothing. Same as the Hipwood goal - without the other 10 you wouldn’t even be close.

BTW, I’m not an ex-rugby supporter at all. I’m a current rugby supporter (though the season is over). I’m also a current rugby league supporter. What on earth gave you the impression I was an ex-anything?

Your ignorance is only dwarfed by your saltiness.

You lost with the umpires in your pocket for most of the game. Deal with it and move on.
I’m going to come out here and say we shot ourselves in the foot with our accuracy, fair play.

To say we had the umpires in our pocket for most of the game is a joke and you know it, you’re in the minority for that thought as well which shows you’re looking through orange glasses.

Good luck for next week but tonight’s winner was just walking into a Collingwood thrashing anyway.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Do they umpires see the game in slow motion do they? And are they up on cherry pickers looking down at the perfect angle?

Everyone is 100% certain when slow motion is played from the most conclusive angle.

Those who constantly whinge about umpires are implying that they are cheats. What a preposterous notion to peddle about professional athletes who take such pride in their work. Why would they bother?

You can’t say one incident determined the game. How about Brisbane letting GWS kick the first 4 goals of the game, how about Brisbane having 9 disposals inside 50 from 15 inside 50 entries during the last qtr.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Umpiring was crap but as a team you can only worry about what you can control.

Lions stuff it with poor inside 50s, and one act that actually cost the game.... withers completely giving up on the chase allowing Daniels to stroll inside 50 and kick a goal under no pressure

Back