Rule 17.12e states "a free kick shall be awarded against a player who makes unreasonable or unnecessary contact with an injured opposition player".

Remove this Banner Ad

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I assume there is already a thread but I cannot find it. I assume forever more any player who has any injury - the opposition will get a warning then a free kick if they player is touched in this region?

Unless its just a charlie cameron law??

“This is not excessive or extraordinary (contact from Kennedy) this is a final for god’s sake. What is that umpire talking about?” Lyon told Fox Footy.

“Moments after (the warning) Cameron comes charging through in a 50-50 contest and sets up a goal.

“That is a nonsense from the umpire.”

Last edited:

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
I understand that Kennedy’s tactics were a bad look but if being strapped up gives you umpire protection from scragging and being touched then why don’t more player feign injuries, get strapped and become untouchable on the field

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Pretty sure this clause is more for injured players leaving the field or in the arms of trainers. Think Scott on Riewoldt etc. Not blokes who get strapped up and play out the game.

Alistair Lynch said so too

I understand that Kennedy’s tactics were a bad look but if being strapped up gives you umpire protection from scragging and being touched then why don’t more player feign injuries, get strapped and become untouchable on the field

surely the umpires need a list of injury players are carrying? for;
unreasonable or unnecessary contact

How else will they protect the games spirit? Or is it a Charlie Cameron only rule?

Forethought

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty sure this clause is more for injured players leaving the field or in the arms of trainers. Think Scott on Riewoldt etc. Not blokes who get strapped up and play out the game.
Absolutely correct .
Further it’s the medical officers for that side to put an injured ( if he is ) player back on the ground. Then we should be asking what duty of care does the Doctors take for there actions.
Umpires aren’t medically trained to my knowledge.
Unless your leaving the field through injury, every other player is deemed fit who is on the field.
It’s the teams responsibility to protect the player if he can’t endure NORMAL MATCH CONDITIONS. not umpires.

Alistair Lynch said so too

surely the umpires need a list of injury players are carrying? for;
unreasonable or unnecessary contact

How else will they protect the games spirit? Or is it a Charlie Cameron only rule?

I think the umpire just got caught up in the moment and tried to stop something that wasn't against the rules because the crowd was losing their s**t.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the umpire just got caught up in the moment and tried to stop something that wasn't against the rules because the crowd was losing their s**t.

I agree with the others - its not so much that incident its the precedent it sets.

Assuming umpires are fair and consistent.

Which probable isnt going to happen.

Thedeftouch

Club Legend
May 5, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The rule is very clear.

If players are returning from ACL injuries, you wouldn't want opposition players pushing and shaking their knees away from the contest.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, the way I see it is if you are fit enough to be on the ground playing in the game, you are fit enough to receive equal treatment from umpires.

If you've got injured ribs e.g. Hodgey in 2008 grand final, you've got to make the call whether you are fit enough to return to the field or not. You shouldn't get any special treatment for umpires for any reasons.

Using last night as an example, Cameron was allowed to hit Kennedy, but Kennedy wasn't allowed to hit Cameron. That doesn't make sense.

Also umpires shouldn't need to worry about watching injured players. They are struggling to officiate the game as is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I reckon if a player goes off, gets checked by the medical staff, and then goes back on, he should not be regarded as "an injured player" under this rule. If you are injured, stay off, nobody is allowed to touch him as he is getting up or coming off the ground of course but once he goes back on he loses that protection.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

I actually thought he was going rather soft on him.
In a cut throat final like that I would expect our defenders to test that elbow out much worse than that.
I'm figuring you would have got to that stage anyway but the ump put the breaks on it early.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace

The rule is poorly written and not intended for the Kennedy / Cameron incident.

According to the rule, the umpire on saturday night was technically correct if he had paid a free. Thankfully he didn't.

Change the rule's wording - "a player being treated on the ground by medical staff"

daniel_4tw

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Umpire should be embarrassed. The rule stated in title is for players going off injured, not players that have decided to stay on the field.

This is why the umpire had to make up ‘not in the spirit of the game’ rule. How did the umpire know that Cameron was injured? Did he see a medical report? The fact that the doctor cleared Cameron to come back on makes me think he was not injured.

What is stop all the GWS players going to the umpire ‘I’ve got a bit of a sore back - anyone that slightly touches me in this region should have a free kick awarded against them. Oh my shoulder is sore too, no hip and shoulders please.’

What a joke.

You choose to be on the field then you should be treated like every other player. If not, stay off the field. This is why we have substitutes.

I wonder if players were allowed to grab Cameron’s arm in a tackle if he had the ball or they had to make sure not to hurt him here either...

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe the umpire saw something... perhaps something we didn't see on the broadcast, that actually was over the line and aimed at the arm... like a sharp rap to the bandage from behind or something. It could have been one of those things where if you see it live in context it's obviously unsportsmanlike...

Or the Umps a self-important nobody imposing his arrogance on the game, but for the sake of footy, can I hope for the former?

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I don't have a problem with what the umpire said or even if he had paid a free kick.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If the Tigers make the GF Dusty should go off in the first minute with a sore shoulder get it strapped and then come back on and tell the umpires. Then he could spend the whole game free of being tagged

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
None of this is news. There was a furore when Kretiuk tapped Lloyd’s hand and Baker got killed for hitting Steve Johnson’s band.

It’s fair enough. Nothing is stopping the usual niggle but targeting a known injury is just crap.

This idea that players will fake injuries because of it is ridiculous. Unless they turn up strapped like mummies players can just target other parts of their bodies or, heaven forbid, try playing footy better than their opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back