Review Semi Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I sense that tomorrow I will see things differently as now it is still so raw but this doesn't sit well with me. Finishing second should result in a better outcome than going out in straight sets. I'm just so, so angry and upset and frustrated at everything. The umpiring, the missed shots on goal, Toby Greene.

Anyway, like I said I think tomorrow will be better. Signing off for the night before I become even more depressed.

Well it’s the next day and anger and frustration has made way for sadness. For the supporters and fans, but mostly for the players, coaches and support staff.

What an absolute roller coaster of a season. A season for the first time in a looooong time with more positives than negatives. Knowing the players are going to pissed off and hungry for next year to make amends for how they exited this year makes me feel better. Because what we’re feeling now is nothing on how the players would be feeling.

So. Chin up boys. Next year is our year.

Great season which I really didn't expect. Most neutrals were really impressed with the game yesterday. Probably should have one with the amount of inside 50's there in the last Q but them's the breaks, something to work on for next season. A bit depressing watching Haynes intercept every forward entry. It might be a bit tougher next year with raised expectations and a tougher draw. Just aim to make the 8 like this year and go from there. The personal attacks on this forum on some of the players is a bit over the top.

Not sure if he had the job all night, but if Marcus Adams was responsible for Himmelberg only registering one kick for the night (and six handballs), he's had a very underrated game.
He was on him for a good portion. Some of the vile directed towards him was over the top . Limited preparation ,still trying to find where his spot will be.

I know Hodgey looks great but he was the loose man for most of the time. The thing missing in our backline was Harris getting his hands on the ball over the top or from the side. He hasn't looked right for a few weeks to me.

Not sure if he had the job all night, but if Marcus Adams was responsible for Himmelberg only registering one kick for the night (and six handballs), he's had a very underrated game.

BuT hE oNlY hAD onE gOoD gAmE aGaiNsT GeEloNG.

Seriously, some supporters don't understand football at all.

BuT hE oNlY hAD onE gOoD gAmE aGaiNsT GeEloNG.

Seriously, some supporters don't understand football at all.

Some picked favourite fringe players then whinged every week about selection bias costing us wins while slagging off players in the team.

I'm speaking of course of BRAB and Basti ;)

Is there an end of season discussion thread around? I want to see some really good discussion of our players for the whole year
own
Anyway I guess we traded having Hodge as our spare man back to save our bacon to them using theirs. The territory battle then decided the rest.

After a nice sleep (after some pretty annoying cricket..goddamnit), on reflection I was really happy with Hippy. It would have been really bad for him to finish off his year with a fizzle.

Finally I bow down to all who were there and contributed to the awesome atmosphere. Especially that chant after the siren :)

Last edited:
Thats how I saw it, it looked as though Witherdeden just gave up, no doubt he was buggered but sò was everyone else at thatstage of the game, it realy was a despicable effort given it was a critical moment and the winning play of the game.
Don't know what will happen with Witherden come trade, but he definatly has a fitness problem, other members here have been highlighting this all year.
Not sure what that’s got to do with your assertion that Witherden would die for his mates when he gave up and allowed an opposition player to stroll in and kick the winning goal because he couldn’t be stuffed chasing him and just gave up.

Not to be too revisionist but I do wonder whether Fages should have thrown Harris forward in the last 10 mins.

I get that the game was very very close so no need to throw the baby out with the bath water, but we lost the aerial contests inside 50 all game and that cost us badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just regarding Witherdens effort and the winning play. A lot has been said about his chase, but I think more critical was his lack of commitment to the contest when Himmelberg skied the ball just before Daniels collected it and took off. Was running back with the flight and didn’t exactly commit. I though that at the time but didn’t want to comment until I saw a replay. Was a poor effort, especially compared to Lyons mark a minute later. I think it was that contest not the chase that cost us that goal.

In saying that there was a few occasions in the first final where two of our boys crashed into each other leaving both out of the contest, so might have been under instruction from the coaches to be wary of that.

Just regarding Witherdens effort and the winning play. A lot has been said about his chase, but I think more critical was his lack of commitment to the contest when Himmelberg skied the ball just before Daniels collected it and took off. Was running back with the flight and didn’t exactly commit. I though that at the time but didn’t want to comment until I saw a replay. Was a poor effort, especially compared to Lyons mark a minute later. I think it was that contest not the chase that cost us that goal.
He should've engaged and bumped him towards the boundary as the ball was coming in . It's just one play in a long game but not enough desperation at that point. He played ok all night and I'm not going to hang him on that . Needs to improve his tank.

He should've engaged and bumped him towards the boundary as the ball was coming in . It's just one play in a long game but not enough desperation at that point. He played ok all night and I'm not going to hang him on that . Needs to improve his tank.
Good summary of the situation and certainly not blaming the loss on him either.
Quoting The Great Man “.. and he’ll learn from that.”

Deeply sadden that hodgey will leave. He has been outstanding [massive understatement] . His football brain, leadership skill, nous, pure joy to watch. If you are reading this Hodgey please reconsider and go one more year.

Regards GwS , who do i hate more collingwood, or them ? The constant bombing the ball long to charlie and having it constantly incepted made me quite angry and disappointed.this area needs urgent rethinking,to be re-engineered.better ball movement into the forward line. Stated this over and over again. daisy cutters coming in low and fast through more highly talented skillful and fast mid field. So add class in that area big priority. Tactically very poor and extremely annoying that. And add fast players inthe backline. Down back Ash or young 1st pick so this means heavy trading. Really want 45 from essendon mckenna down there as well. Just my thoughts.

Umpiries cruxified us. Appalling,appalling.appalling . I was yelling that hard at the umps ,that my dentures flew out and hit the tv. Shame on you AFL ,they had too many players on the field ( that includes the ups who were friggin parasites playing for gws.)

Apart from that brisbane players , Take a bow you exceed my expectations and no doubt those of your fans. Great jump in output which i am confident if we can get some more pieces of the puzzle all bodes well for 2020.

Have you considered implants, an implant retained denture or ,a lot cheaper, some Hold Tight just before game time?

You were robbed Lions, that 3rd quarter was some of the worst umpiring Ive ever seen. You were the better side for sure.

You'll be top 4 again next year.
Not according to most posters on the Umpiring board.

Toby Greene suspended for one week.

A bit late unfortunately.

The inconsistencies is blowing my brain apart. How was what he did last night any worse than the assult he did on Bontempelli. If he got pinged for the Neale one then he should never have played after what he did the week before.

Toby Greene suspended for one week.

A bit late unfortunately.
He basically assaulted Bont. Not saying that his treatment of Neale was fair, but he’s paying for the lesser crime. Doesn’t the substantial fine offset whatever demerits he had?

Double standards at play here. Cotchin was walking on eggshells when he went after Shiel, yet a (clean recorded?) Hawkins wasn’t given the option of a wrist slap. The AFL’s inconsistency on countless levels is definitely a cause for supporter disenchantment.

If that's suspension worthy and last week's wasn't this semi final officially goes down as a stolen final.

Greene isn't in and we win. * the AFL's inconsistency

He basically assaulted Bont. Not saying that his treatment of Neale was fair, but he’s paying for the lesser crime. Doesn’t the substantial fine offset whatever demerits he had?

Double standards at play here. Cotchin was walking on eggshells when he went after Shiel, yet a (clean recorded?) Hawkins wasn’t given the option of a wrist slap. The AFL’s inconsistency on countless levels is definitely a cause for supporter disenchantment.

Can you smell what the VFL is cooking? Who can deny a Collingwood V Richmond final.

Not according to most posters on the Umpiring board.
I was there as a neutral. It was the worst exhibition of umpiring I'd seen in a long time. 3rd quarter especially. It was that bad it was laughable. There was a period on the wing where it looked like Ray was doing everything he could to get GWS out of trouble, only for the Lions to actually overcome the obvious bias to clear the ball to their advantage.

I seriously take my hat off to you guys. Absolute farce.

Back