Random Discussion Thread 143- Sports, Music, TV and Train Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably won't follow through it in the long run but contemplating on deleting BF. Only it was as deleting FB.

Probably won't follow through it in the long run but contemplating on deleting BF. Only it was as deleting FB.
I've thought about it a few times but I think I'd miss it too much. Some good laughs on here and some good people too for the most part.
Do what works for you mate but if you do go I for one will miss you.

It can be a very toxic environment on here sometimes and I’ve considered it a few times.

Do whatever ya feel is best mate.
Sometimes I think being a successful team brings out the worst kind of posters, both for us and the opposition.
I've thought about it a few times but I think I'd miss it too much. Some good laughs on here and some good people too for the most part.
Do what works for you mate but if you do go I for one will miss you.
Yeah I'm not loving the game as much as I used to as well. Agree about the toxicity in here at time but there's a ton of great posters in here and reading their opinions and thoughts have been a huge reason why I have stayed this long.

This year I've also learnt that even the footy has been big part of my life but it should still be a minuscule part of my life. I might try and take a break over the next couple weeks/months from this board till every things settles down.

I’ve just had a significant chunk of time off from BF and really didn’t want to come back, some of the things you read here and the way people treat eachother can be very toxic.
I’m pretty good at scrolling past and not letting it get to me, but sometimes it’s good to clear your life out and remove things that cause you negative feelings...if you need time away take it.
But there’s some super people on here and I miss this part of it, the casual nice chatting and the bonding over our footy club. With a clear head I’ll pick and choose where and who I converse with here, this board imo is still really great though and the ‘scroll past’ attitude works best. Or the love emoji can work well too if something pisses you off. Dunno if i’ll get my love back for BF but when the Willie news broke I was compelled to come here and be around our own, being in Melbourne besides my family (all Eagles 💙💛) there’s not many people to talk West Coast with.

Watching a terrific show on Fox about the Fiztroy/Bears merger. I cant even imagine what it must have been like to lose your footy club. They even made them play thier last game in WA against Fremantle so most fans couldn’t see them off. Brutal.
I hope Brissie get up tonight.

I’ve just had a significant chunk of time off from BF and really didn’t want to come back, some of the things you read here and the way people treat eachother can be very toxic.
I’m pretty good at scrolling past and not letting it get to me, but sometimes it’s good to clear your life out and remove things that cause you negative feelings...if you need time away take it.
But there’s some super people on here and I miss this part of it, the casual nice chatting and the bonding over our footy club. With a clear head I’ll pick and choose where and who I converse with here, this board imo is still really great though and the ‘scroll past’ attitude works best. Or the love emoji can work well too if something pisses you off. Dunno if i’ll get my love back for BF but when the Willie news broke I was compelled to come here and be around our own, being in Melbourne besides my family (all Eagles 💙💛) there’s not many people to talk West Coast with.
I wondered where you'd been Wooshette. Welcome back!

I wondered where you'd been Wooshette. Welcome back!
Thank you mate, I still watched every game and went to all the Melbourne games this year with my kids! (Except last night we couldn’t handle it)
I still LOVE footy and the Eagles so much...BF not so much.
But this board is lovely, not perfect but lovely nevertheless.

Watching a terrific show on Fox about the Fiztroy/Bears merger. I cant even imagine what it must have been like to lose your footy club. They even made them play thier last game in WA against Fremantle so most fans couldn’t see them off. Brutal.
I hope Brissie get up tonight.
The AFL really treated Fitzroy like absolute s**t. Surprising considering they were a Vic team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you mate, I still watched every game and went to all the Melbourne games this year with my kids! (Except last night we couldn’t handle it)
I still LOVE footy and the Eagles so much...BF not so much.
But this board is lovely, not perfect but lovely nevertheless.
This board can be great fun. The main board not so much. I probably need to stay off of it (It was easy to be on there as the reigning premier, admittedly).

Anyways, bring on summer and a break from footy.

This board can be great fun. The main board not so much. I probably need to stay off of it (It was easy to be on there as the reigning premier, admittedly).

Anyways, bring on summer and a break from footy.
Oh jebus I hate the break, counting the days already :tired:

There are a lot of posters who seem to think that winning another flag is a right, and give very little credit to how difficult and tight the season is.

When you feel like that it can create a negative vibe even in a good season.

There is a fair bit of work behind the scenes done by myself and the other mods to make this a good place to visit, because there's no better place to talk footy on the internet. We've removed 3 troublesome posters from the board, but sometimes the best move is actually just to post positively and create good discussions, while allowing the negative types to vent.

It's not always an easy balance, especially when your club is on the downswing. And when you win a flag you'll almost certainly not be able to replicate that.

It’s very strange to say but the footy brings out the worst of people on this footy forum. Unparalleled success has bred spoilt and unrealistic attitudes towards how difficult it is to win at the elite level.

You lose a game by a point and people say it’s season over, six weeks to go. People are calling us mediocre because we’ve only won four flags. It’s unfathomable that the players can’t execute at the highest level at all times, there’s no human element to the game at all.

The lack of perspective and the entitlement around here is pretty staggering at times. The Eagles board is the only place I really ever go, apart from the occasional lurk on an opposition board, so it’s always relatively easy to take a break in the offseason for me. But far out, so many good posters and smart people drowned out by entitled babies who seem to have come up with the concept that because you support a team it is a god given right that that team must be the best.

Start of 2018 people around here are all doom and gloom, we’re terrible, going to finish bottom four. 18 months later and without any personnel changes whatsoever, suddenly it’s a travesty we didn’t win the flag.

Offseason break is the way to go I think.

There are a lot of posters who seem to think that winning another flag is a right, and give very little credit to how difficult and tight the season is.

When you feel like that it can create a negative vibe even in a good season.

There is a fair bit of work behind the scenes done by myself and the other mods to make this a good place to visit, because there's no better place to talk footy on the internet. We've removed 3 troublesome posters from the board, but sometimes the best move is actually just to post positively and create good discussions, while allowing the negative types to vent.

It's not always an easy balance, especially when your club is on the downswing. And when you win a flag you'll almost certainly not be able to replicate that.
I think a lot of people get down when we don’t hit expectations. Whenever we exceed expectations like 2018 it’s a bit of a free shot from the prelim onwards, as far as disappointment from being bundled out goes. A little bit like 2007 where we know how good we can be and our best is clearly in the top 2 in the comp.. but we just don’t get there enough in the follow up year. For some reason we always historically exceed expectations when they’re low and s**t the bed when they’re high.

On top of that there’s always some bullshit going on (Willie this year) plus the blatant Vic bias takes its toll if you’re too invested.. especially on BF. The amount of damage we’d do if we had even half of the advantages they do is scary to think about. Yet a fair majority of the supporters of those clubs fail to accept how much the competition is tipped in their favour. There’s a lot of difference between banter and flat out shitposting.

It’s very strange to say but the footy brings out the worst of people on this footy forum. Unparalleled success has bred spoilt and unrealistic attitudes towards how difficult it is to win at the elite level.

You lose a game by a point and people say it’s season over, six weeks to go. People are calling us mediocre because we’ve only won four flags. It’s unfathomable that the players can’t execute at the highest level at all times, there’s no human element to the game at all.

The lack of perspective and the entitlement around here is pretty staggering at times. The Eagles board is the only place I really ever go, apart from the occasional lurk on an opposition board, so it’s always relatively easy to take a break in the offseason for me. But far out, so many good posters and smart people drowned out by entitled babies who seem to have come up with the concept that because you support a team it is a god given right that that team must be the best.

Start of 2018 people around here are all doom and gloom, we’re terrible, going to finish bottom four. 18 months later and without any personnel changes whatsoever, suddenly it’s a travesty we didn’t win the flag.

Offseason break is the way to go I think.
Offseason is actually a good time to post, it's a lot more casual. The stakes are much lower so people can have a reasonable discussion again.

I'm really stoked about the Eagles entering the AFLW too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back