Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that because there is no professional taekwondo circuit, or are they just excluded like they were in boxing?
There's a European circuit but not many national organizations are pro. Australia being one of them

Will he ever play representative ball for us?

Kinda feel like he won't, which is pretty sad.
He's already been a part of a gold medal winning Boomers team...

wqt8VWn.jpg

I saw Josh Green has added 12lbs of muscle to his frame in preparation for college this upcoming season. I'm really hopeful Green also commits to our Olympic campaign next year because he can seriously play!

Gonna be a leader of the Boomers in the future if his body holds out. Can tell that's he's genuinely commited to the national team unlike some others who are more lukewarm towards representing Australia.

Gonna be a leader of the Boomers in the future if his body holds out. Can tell that's he's genuinely committed to the national team unlike some others who are more lukewarm towards representing Australia.
No australian athlete in any sport has more untapped potential than Dante in my view. He's still only young as he turned 24 in July. As a comparison Ingles turned 27 in his first nba season. Seriously could yet be an nba star and an all time great Boomer. He could potentially turn the Boomers greatest weakness. (Defending the perimeter and pick and roll) into a major strength by the next Olympics. Not to mention what he could do in terms of scoring and getting to the basket at international level. His stroke from three has also got better every year he's been a professional.

Last edited:
Watching the Boomers at the World Champs its pretty obvious that we need to bring in some quicker big men to close out on the army of great big men shooters at international level. THon Maker reaching his potential is just a must for the Boomers to medal at the next Olympics.
Again there's some promising reports this off season.
Hopefully by the next Olympics he's playing consistent nba ball.

While its highly unlikely Thon's cousin Makur Maker will be ready to go by next Olympics he too is also shaping as a potential key long-term Boomer. Makur's considered a potential high draft pick in 2021 by many experts and has one year of High School to complete before he can either play in college or turn professional. Looks stronger than Thon was before his first nba season already and has similar 7 foot three shooting point guard highlights on youtube that Thon had in his high school playing days.

In other news William Mcdowell-White has just signed a two-way contract with the Rockets. Another player who could add depth and athleticism to the Boomers 2020 Olympic campaign hopefully.

Not many bigs can match Gasol when he's in that sort of mood
Be a monster in the paint and be absolute efficient with your scoring output and score in every way you can on the field

Apart from highlight post fake outs and step back 3's it was a complete game from a player. And he only really took over on offense after half time.

Personally I think Ben could easily cover him. Sam Vecenie on the game theory podcast, while discussing their best 23 and under players had a bit of a hot take on him. Basically said Ben could be the best center in the NBA if the sixers were willing to play him there. I’m not sure but I think he could probably cover that position in international basketball and be a beast. Not sure it’ll ever happen tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So next year we could be looking at:

Guards: Simmons, Delly, Mills, Goulding
Small Forwards: Broekhoff, Ingles, Exum
Power Forwards: Landale, Maker, Bolden
Centres: Baynes, Bogut

Simmons, Mills, Creek, Landale, Baynes as the 5 on the floor. And then at the 2023 WC:

Simmons, Exum, Broekhoff, Landale, Maker

Maker, Green, Bolden first rotation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight's game hurt. Think opposite of what you have posted
If you are referring to not having enough quick big man then Id agree with you now. Bogut, Baynes and Kay improved a heap since the Senegal game when I made the observation about needing more quick big men. Kay really was the big surprise packet I didnt see coming and Im a Wildcats fan. Kay shot from three better than I expected and is also really smart in terms of backdoor cuts, with his movement without the ball a great feature of his play.

Last edited:
So next year we could be looking at:

Guards: Simmons, Delly, Mills, Goulding
Small Forwards: Broekhoff, Ingles, Exum
Power Forwards: Landale, Maker, Bolden
Centres: Baynes, Bogut

Simmons, Mills, Creek, Landale, Baynes as the 5 on the floor. And then at the 2023 WC:

Simmons, Exum, Broekhoff, Landale, Maker

Maker, Green, Bolden first rotation.
Next year I now expect:
Starting five on offence
C: Baynes
PF: Ingles
SF: Exum
SG: Mills
PG: Simmons
On defence Simmons plays the 4. All passing team with Simmons to go to the low block in half court sets.

Bench:
Delly
Bolden
Thon (provided he develops this year and doesnt stagnate)
Broekhoff
Bogut, Kay or Landale. Likely we wont have evryone to choose from anyway so at least two probably make it
Green Just has to be in the Boomers teams as quickly as possible in my view.
Goulding Because he can come in score in limited minutes also now has to be picked in my view.

Next year I now expect:
Starting five on offence
C: Baynes
PF: Ingles
SF: Exum
SG: Mills
PG: Simmons
On defence Simmons plays the 4. All passing team with Simmons to go to the low block in half court sets.

Bench:
Delly
Bolden
Thon (provided he develops this year and doesnt stagnate)
Broekhoff
Bogut, Kay or Landale. Likely we wont have evryone to choose from anyway so at least two probably make it
Green Just has to be in the Boomers teams as quickly as possible in my view.
Goulding Because he can come in score in limited minutes also now has to be picked in my view.
Creek, Cooks and Adel (if he develops well) the only others I’d really consider taking (probably only one of them, either at the expense of Goulding or Green) barring anyone else having some serious development in the next 12 months.

Green probably has to come though, make sure we keep both him and Simmons happy which is what we need to do considering they are our future.

Creek, Cooks and Adel (if he develops well) the only others I’d really consider taking (probably only one of them, either at the expense of Goulding or Green) barring anyone else having some serious development in the next 12 months.

Green probably has to come though, make sure we keep both him and Simmons happy which is what we need to do considering they are our future.
Goulding is a must selection for mine. If everyone's fit and available he is just the ideal guy to bring off the bench and play it spurts. A player who's capable of having an impact even if he's only playing limited minutes.

Goulding is a must selection for mine. If everyone's fit and available he is just the ideal guy to bring off the bench and play it spurts. A player who's capable of having an impact even if he's only playing limited minutes.
I was of that opinion until the Spain game. Now I’m not so sure.

Then again on the end of the bench it probably won’t be a big deal, probably won’t even see the court in the big games if we’re at full strength.

If you are referring to not having enough quick big man then Id agree with you now. Bogut, Baynes and Kay improved a heap since the Senegal game when I made the observation about needing more quick big men. Kay really was the big surprise packet I didnt see coming and Im a Wildcats fan. Kay shot from three better than I expected and is also really smart in terms of backdoor cuts, with his movement without the ball a great feature of his play.
I think our bigs stock is fine, We dont have a generational talent like France/Serbia/Spain do. Sucks but i dont think Maker is the answer, Humphries isnt either

Kay agree was nice, It didnt look like he ever left the NBL, absolute step up of comp and he still made great cuts, great cover, and dynamic without the ball in hand

I think another dynamic scorer and we're beating Argentina in the finals. While Simmons/Bolden will make our team better it's not exactly what we need. We saw Ntilikita/Albicy/Decolo and even Batum cover Mills hard. All bar Albicy were a lot bigger then Mills and they took turns just locking Mills down.

They were more then happy to give Delly an Open 3 over even letting Mills move without some physical bumping. You saw Iso Joe be more aggressive but its not his game. Having another guy who could run and score off screens and be aggressive on offensive would have given us a gold. I think thats what we are lacking, I dont see Simmons as "THAT"player.

I think our bigs stock is fine, We dont have a generational talent like France/Serbia/Spain do. Sucks but i dont think Maker is the answer, Humphries isnt either

Kay agree was nice, It didnt look like he ever left the NBL, absolute step up of comp and he still made great cuts, great cover, and dynamic without the ball in hand

I think another dynamic scorer and we're beating Argentina in the finals. While Simmons/Bolden will make our team better it's not exactly what we need. We saw Ntilikita/Albicy/Decolo and even Batum cover Mills hard. All bar Albicy were a lot bigger then Mills and they took turns just locking Mills down.

They were more then happy to give Delly an Open 3 over even letting Mills move without some physical bumping. You saw Iso Joe be more aggressive but its not his game. Having another guy who could run and score off screens and be aggressive on offensive would have given us a gold. I think thats what we are lacking, I dont see Simmons as "THAT"player.
Ive said this before. But at international level Dante Exum could seriously be that player. His shooting with his feet set has actually come on heaps. Before his injury at training he was consistently one of the best at draining threes according to the Jazz twitter feed anyway. Just needs to gain more confidence in games. Josh Green could also be that type of player in the long run too. Its early days, but our next, next great hope to be a generational type big man (not by the next Olympics unfortunately) could be Makur Maker. I follow him closely. He is in his final year of high school ball and he's already a strongish 107kg's at 6'11 or 7'0 (latest update had him at 7'0) so he puts on weight easily compared to Thon. Early days, but a great passer for a big man and now the second rated high school basketball player in Canada.

Last edited:
Fox Sports predicting the Olympic squad.
Exactly the same 12 I would choose.

My continuing conundrum is, should Simmons make himself available for the Olympics, will he be willing to give up the primary ball handling duties and play down low?

Clearly he is moooore than capable of playing at the point but for the fit of the team, it doesn’t optimize our available talent. We lack a legit 4, which is why Kay got so many minutes. Simmons playing there, giving us passing out of the block, size on D and handling the ball in transition makes us dynamic. Simmons handling the ball in the half court probably doesn’t fit the rest of our parts.

My continuing conundrum is, should Simmons make himself available for the Olympics, will he be willing to give up the primary ball handling duties and play down low?

Clearly he is moooore than capable of playing at the point but for the fit of the team, it doesn’t optimize our available talent. We lack a legit 4, which is why Kay got so many minutes. Simmons playing there, giving us passing out of the block, size on D and handling the ball in transition makes us dynamic. Simmons handling the ball in the half court probably doesn’t fit the rest of our parts.
Would very much doubt he has enough of a team first mentality in regards to representing his country to play a role that's different from the one he's gotten used to in the NBA for the past 2 seasons. Funnily enough it was the 76ers that decided to play him as a point guard, so maybe it'll depend on whether Brown play him in the PF spot anytime this season.
Playing in his usual spot would help us a lot with his good passing skills though. Would be close to a complete player if he can fix his shooting.
He also said this once:
“Definitely a one, not four. I don’t want to play a four. I mean, I’ll play the four but I don’t want to be predominantly in the four position because I feel like I can do a lot more from the point guard position, as you’ve seen.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back