The Browne-Clark-McClure-Barrett Register - Measuring AFL journalist performance at trade time

Who do you think will have the best success rate?

• Sam McClure

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Jay Clark

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Damian Barrett

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Sam Edmund

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • other

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • Tom Browne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitch Cleary

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Tom Morris

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I only know a couple off the top of my head but there would be plenty of others.
Tom Browne cops a lot of crap and is quite often wrong but he does get fed quite a bit by Robbie D’orazio. Nick Bowen is on speed dial to Paul Connors

yeh/na ... it’s not too hard to ascertain which media person is aligned to which player manager.

yeh/na ... it’s not too hard to ascertain which media person is aligned to which player manager.
Go and have a look at what the media report and then see who that players manager is and join the dots. I know of those two I’ve listed but also know it’s fact that managers chat to media if it suits them.
Just like I’m sure that managers in the West have their go to media and I’m sure you know who they are

Trouble is these journo's cover their asses by having contrary positions on the movements of players and then claiming credit when the right one comes up. Example Tom Morris on Fox Sports regarding Stephen Hill of Fremantle

Tom Morris of Fox Sports adamant that Stephen Hill was leaving Fremantle. In this article on August 21st he writes (at the end of the section headed "List Management") that:

"They will lose Brad Hill, Ed Langdon and Stephen Hill in the off-season."

Then 5 days later on August 26th

"In better news for Fremantle, it is understood free agent Stephen Hill is poised to sign a new deal and will almost certainly remain at the club in 2020."

A few hours later its announced that Stephen Hill has signed with Fremantle and Tom Morris tweets

"As reported, Bradley Hill will ask to be traded (probably today) but older brother Stephen has re-signed. It’s a two-year deal and understand it’s on considerably more $ too."

Go and have a look at what the media report and then see who that players manager is and join the dots. I know of those two I’ve listed but also know it’s fact that managers chat to media if it suits them.
Just like I’m sure that managers in the West have their go to media and I’m sure you know who they are

Toogarook 3941 - cant get The West delivered.

Heard many make your sort of claim & like you, unable to substantiate.

My go to example is the Lloyd clan & what the critic (Matthew) doesnt say when referring to the clubs his brothers (Brad & Simon) are at, given they do move about.

Toogarook 3941 - cant get The West delivered.

Heard many make your sort of claim & like you, unable to substantiate.

My go to example is the Lloyd clan & what the critic (Matthew) doesnt say when referring to the clubs his brothers (Brad & Simon) are at, given they do move about.
Fair enough. I’ve given you two names that are dead set legit and I’m sure there would be many more. As I said this comes from someone who works in the industry and no he won’t disclose anything to me but admitted that he has used the media plenty of times in the past

Trouble is these journo's cover their asses by having contrary positions on the movements of players and then claiming credit when the right one comes up. Example Tom Morris on Fox Sports regarding Stephen Hill of Fremantle

Tom Morris of Fox Sports adamant that Stephen Hill was leaving Fremantle. In this article on August 21st he writes (at the end of the section headed "List Management") that:

"They will lose Brad Hill, Ed Langdon and Stephen Hill in the off-season."

Then 5 days later on August 26th

"In better news for Fremantle, it is understood free agent Stephen Hill is poised to sign a new deal and will almost certainly remain at the club in 2020."

A few hours later its announced that Stephen Hill has signed with Fremantle and Tom Morris tweets

"As reported, Bradley Hill will ask to be traded (probably today) but older brother Stephen has re-signed. It’s a two-year deal and understand it’s on considerably more $ too."

This is the issue that I have - they intentionally make vague predictions or avoid using words that imply certainty and frequently change their opinion. Tom Brown flip flopped heavily from one side to the other on the Coniglio saga, for example.

That's why I'm keeping this updated. Because even if they eventually make the right call (provided they do it first), we'll know the cases beforehand where they made the wrong call but clearly didn't vet it properly and went to print with it anyway.

I'm only intending on recording the originator of each piece of information too, so if anything on this register is incorrectly attributed let me know.

I have a quick question. Why does no one like Barrett? Every time I see him on something he comes across as a bit stand offish, a bit opinionated, but he does voice some decent things?

Just curious.

When Barrett talks rumours it’s good too listen. He gets some good mail.

It’s the rest of his s**t that is unbearable.

When Barrett talks rumours it’s good too listen. He gets some good mail.

It’s the rest of his s**t that is unbearable.

I don't have an issue with his mail either.

The real irksome aspect of his personality is how serious and incapable of taking a joke he is, and just that typical journalistic lack of respect for the boundaries of what is acceptable. He's the first person to jump on news that could be considered a bit too personal, or that has an affect on people's lives outside of footy. There's a reason that multiple coaches have almost responded to him with physical violence, one of whom had to be held back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is great

Headline - “North’s grasp on Higgins slipping”

Literally half an hour later - North announce Higgins extension 😂

Btw I’m sure they’ve changed it since

All these *ers do is post rumours and hide behind “ sources “, have absolutely no accountability when they aren’t true and then jerk themselves off, when they get one of their thirty guesses correct.

This is great

I included "Plenty of people convinced" as a prediction that was false because clearly Edmund was talking absolute crap, considering it happened so soon.

This is great

The H/S had 'Burgoyne gone to Suns' and 'Burgoyne stays a Hawk' both up on their page at the same time a few days ago, only about 3 headlines apart from each other.

I have a quick question. Why does no one like Barrett? Every time I see him on something he comes across as a bit stand offish, a bit opinionated, but he does voice some decent things?

Just curious.

Part gutter tabloid journalist, part actual journalist, part member of the boys club, part willing to challenge boys club group think

The funny thing about him is that his redeeming features are probably what gets him so much hate.

He's in that hate sweet spot - too unprincipled to be respected, but at other times too willing to speak the truth to be liked.

Part gutter tabloid journalist, part actual journalist, part member of the boys club, part willing to challenge boys club group think

The funny thing about him is that his redeeming features are probably what gets him so much hate.

He's in that hate sweet spot - too unprincipled to be respected, but at other times too willing to speak the truth to be liked.

Rarely have I ever heard a more accurate description of anyone

All bar two clubs out of the running for the premiership which means that radical ideas are set to be thrown around just to get people talking.

Whether they're even remotely true or not, that's up for discussion. The latest in the 'this could happen even though it's incredibly unlikely and I've just pulled it out of my bum' calls is Jay Clark's take on Geelong chasing Gaff in return for Kelly.

https://www.zerohanger.com/geelong-could-target-eagles-star-in-kelly-trade-clark-35159/

I'm all for accountability for smearing the annals of sports media with this crap so it's in the register.

Back