Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you mention it, doesn't seem like we have traded away too many players in the past few years.. Well Gibbs, Menzel, Tuohy and Henderson.. and a few others, at least comparatively i guess its far less than we have traded in. But we did get a couple bunches of players from GWS

Menzel had to go. Word around the traps back then was that he was spending a little too much time with Yaz.

Gibbs and Touhy we shouldve come to the table a bit more, Touhy in particular. Henderson can get a dog up him for all I care.

So you saying he is ok coming to the blues on say $2-400k when he could earn $600k or whatever he is on next year staying at crows? I can’t understand why he would be ok with this ... has a young family and not sure what work opportunities he has after footy.

Depending on the terms of his contract at Adelaide (match payments and incentives) he may be looking at reduced earnings next season if he's stuck in the reserves. A reduced contract with us could be comparable.

The thought of Betts coming back is so exciting. It took me a long time to get over losing him in the first place, I couldn’t stand watching Crows games for the first few years he was there.

I know he is past his best now but I still think he can help us win games next year. He will generate excitement and if he can help us win games and build the confidence of the young group I still think he can have a very good impact on our rebuild. The players would love playing beside him.

I appreciate SOS will be reluctant to use too much salary on a player of his age, but if we can agree to reduced terms with employment opportunities after his playing career it would be great for Carlton imo.
Re salary, there are many ways to skin a cat! Let’s leave it at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you saying he is ok coming to the blues on say $2-400k when he could earn $600k or whatever he is on next year staying at crows? I can’t understand why he would be ok with this ... has a young family and not sure what work opportunities he has after footy.
200k and happy or 600k and hating your work life. Pretty easy choice imo. Not sure what your day to day expenses are but most don't earn 200k in a year and many even manage to make ends meet.

He's been on big money for a long time now. Would hopefully have set himself up by now. He will also have no problem getting work after footy

maybe already been discussed here but i just read a five day old fox article suggesting there are internal temsions at our club regarding trade targets...one of those is that teague is keen on betts but sos isnt apparently.

Im of the opinion of that if the coach wants player X, the SOS should do everything he can to facilitate it.

Im of the opinion of that if the coach wants player X, the SOS should do everything he can to facilitate it.

No. Absolutely not. List management and coaching needs to be separate. Sure, have discussions with each other, discuss wants and needs, but the coaching staff, including the head coach, should have no final say on signing, trading or delisting.

List management need to make decisions for the best of the club. They maintain the list. Coaching need to extract the best performances from the list provided.

Otherwise we end up with a MM situation again, where one person holds too much power, and delists/trades players they don't like for personal reasons, to the detriment of the list, and forces deals that involves making injured former players of theirs our highest coin earners.

Rightly so in this instance. Teague has a relationship with Betts. List management need to make the decision for the best of the list. If they deem Betts too expensive, then so be it. (Hope desperately Eddie returns!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back