Review Player Rankings for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent work mate. Found myself nodding in agreement to almost everything I read. Only beg to differ on Easton Wood who I don't think was anywhere near our top 10 this year. I'd have him somewhere lower than Taylor Duryea who I think gave us more than Wood did in 2019 despite playing less games.
Seems to be the consensus thus far with regards to Wood. I may be suffering with some 'recency bias'...

Seems to be the consensus thus far with regards to Wood. I may be suffering with some 'recency bias'...
Sometimes he was being asked to play KPD roles, especially early in 2019. He was rubbish in those games for us, but perhaps that wasn't entirely his fault due to lack of KPD at team selection. Wood (and I'd argue Cordy also) certainly played better when Lewis Young and/or Trengove were in the same defensive unit.

Great write up Wally!

This year has been a fantastic growth year for many players.

7 players in particular - Dale, Lipinksi, Dunkley, English, Naughton, Shache and Smith

It will be interesting to see how much more growth we have next year.

Richards is the obvious one as you say. I think Smith will also continue on his trajectory from this year. Also think English will continue in the same manor. So that's 3.
I think Lipinski and Dunkley will settle into their current line of performance output.
There will most likely be a left field one for next year, thinking possibly Fergus.

I think the main thing for this pre-season is to really just build the strength in the young bodies so they are able to last 22 round plus finals.

Got to say WallyStringhaus I have the upmost respect for the compilation of lists especially with quality
pictures and statistics, but for me we used 34 players at senior level this year so that's 34 players to
perform an autopsy on even if the great Dale Morris has to be number 34.

Did you know that we lost Total Disposals and Contested Possession in the last two games of the year,
but hang on Yojimbo we pumped Adelaide in the last round that can't be right.

Sometimes he was being asked to play KPD roles, especially early in 2019. He was rubbish in those games for us, but perhaps that wasn't entirely his fault due to lack of KPD at team selection. Wood (and I'd argue Cordy also) certainly played better when Lewis Young and/or Trengove were in the same defensive unit.
If you think back though it wasn't really the KPF's that were hurting us early in the season. It was the Sexton's, Matera's and Stephenson types that were getting out the back and kicking multiple goals on us.

If you think back though it wasn't really the KPF's that were hurting us early in the season. It was the Sexton's, Matera's and Stephenson types that were getting out the back and kicking multiple goals on us.
I'm probably suffering from selective memory bias but I think at least sometimes it really was the KPFs who were hurting us. In the loss to Carlton in R5, McKay and Casboult and even Jack Silvagni marked just about everything that came their way and we ended up losing by more than 7 goals. I remember feeling that we lost that game at selection by not choosing enough tall players to match the opposition and Wood (and presumably Cordy) would have been giving up serious height to a direct opponent.

Well done Wally .
As it seems we will bringing at least 2 older players via trade this year and with both the 2 old warriors in Libba and Wally hopefully having full pre seasons we will certainly field much older team next season . I just wonder where Wally and Libba fit into team in 2020 .

Great thread WallyStringhaus your genius got the hamster running in the wheel of my mind and as I made
the comment about using 34 players in 2019 you inspired me to try to do a list of those 34 players. These
lists are always speculation as we all see the game differently I found the teens to early twenties very
difficult to do as I found myself weighing up impact with volume of games played. Let me know what you
think and thank you once again for the inspiration, I do a lot of reviews and technical stuff, but I rarely
post much of it as it tends to offend the more devout fans.

1: Marcus Bontempelli
2: Jackson Macrae
3: Aaron Naughton
4: Josh Dunkley
5: Lachie Hunter
6: Caleb Daniel
7: Sam Lloyd
8: Hayden Crozier
9: Matthew Suckling
10: Bailey Smith

11: Jason Johannisen
12: Patrick Lipinski
13: Tim English
14: Tom Liberatore
15: Mitch Wallis
16: Taylor Duryea
17: Easton Wood
18: Zaine Cordy
19: Toby McLean
20: Jackson Trengove

21: Josh Schache
22: Tory Dickson
23: Bailey Dale
24: Ed Richards
25: Will Hayes
26: Bailey Williams
27: Billy Gowers
28: Lewis Young
29: Lachie Young
30: Roarke Smith

31: Rhylee West
32: Fletcher Roberts
33: Ryan Gardner
34: Dale Morris

Once again thank you for the inspiration WallyStringhaus and your forensic dissection of the list, I tried to
remove personal bias, but everyone sees things through different eyes and I respect that.

Congratulations Wally on a well rounded summary of how the Doggies performed and your player rating.I think you and I must watch our team through the same glasses. The only changes I would make would just be nit-picking,but for next year I would love to see big rises from Tim English, Aaron Naughton,Bailey Smith, Toby McLean and Tom Liberatore and the flag will be ours.
ps: We may need Jordan Sweet to emerge as a major enforcer.

Great thread Wally,thanks for the idea and the effort . My only beef with the list is JJ being so high. I would have both Tim English and Duryea rated higher and a case could be made for a couple of others. I thought JJ was a major disappointment this year for a senior player. In a very young team needing leadership he failed to accept the responsibility. The AFL could change the rules and allow JJ to hold a wet lettuce leaf in each hand and the intensity of his tackles would be instantly doubled. I just think he could have given so much more and so mark him down on what he didn't do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I would throw together a list ranking each player for the 2019 season.

Listing below, write ups to follow.

Not Ranked: First Year Players yet to Debut
- Buku Khamis
- Ben Cavarra
- Jordon Sweet
- Laitham Vandermeer

Not Ranked: Retired Players
- Tom Boyd
- Liam Picken
- Dale Morris

38. Brad Lynch
37. Cal Porter
T36. Fergus Greene, Lukas Webb, Lin Jong
33. Fletcher Roberts
32. Ryan Gardner
31. Roarke Smith
30. Bailey Williams
29. Billy Gowers
28. Lachie Young
27. Rhylee West
26. Will Hayes
25. Lewis Young
24. Mitch Wallis
23. Tom Liberatore
22. Bailey Dale
21. Josh Schache
20. Ed Richards
19. Toby McLean
18. Jackson Trengove
17. Taylor Duryea
16. Tory Dickson
15. Matt Suckling
14. Zaine Cordy
13. Pat Lipinski
12. Tim English
11. Bailey Smith
10. JJ
9. Easton Wood
8. Lachie Hunter
7. Sam Lloyd
6. Caleb Daniel
5. Aaron Naughton
4. Hayden Crozier
3. Josh Dunkley
2. Jack Macrae
1. Marcus Bontempelli
Billy Gowers too high for mine, and how can you have Fergus Greene in front of Lynch when Lynch played most of the VFL season, yet Greene only played a couple of games?

Billy Gowers too high for mine, and how can you have Fergus Greene in front of Lynch when Lynch played most of the VFL season, yet Greene only played a couple of games?
For that very reason...Lynch played the whole VFL season and didnt even get close to being thought about for selection.

Great thread WallyStringhaus your genius got the hamster running in the wheel of my mind and as I made
the comment about using 34 players in 2019 you inspired me to try to do a list of those 34 players. These
lists are always speculation as we all see the game differently I found the teens to early twenties very
difficult to do as I found myself weighing up impact with volume of games played. Let me know what you
think and thank you once again for the inspiration, I do a lot of reviews and technical stuff, but I rarely
post much of it as it tends to offend the more devout fans.

1: Marcus Bontempelli
2: Jackson Macrae
3: Aaron Naughton
4: Josh Dunkley
5: Lachie Hunter
6: Caleb Daniel
7: Sam Lloyd
8: Hayden Crozier
9: Matthew Suckling
10: Bailey Smith

11: Jason Johannisen
12: Patrick Lipinski
13: Tim English
14: Tom Liberatore
15: Mitch Wallis
16: Taylor Duryea
17: Easton Wood
18: Zaine Cordy
19: Toby McLean
20: Jackson Trengove

21: Josh Schache
22: Tory Dickson
23: Bailey Dale
24: Ed Richards
25: Will Hayes
26: Bailey Williams
27: Billy Gowers
28: Lewis Young
29: Lachie Young
30: Roarke Smith

31: Rhylee West
32: Fletcher Roberts
33: Ryan Gardner
34: Dale Morris

Once again thank you for the inspiration WallyStringhaus and your forensic dissection of the list, I tried to
remove personal bias, but everyone sees things through different eyes and I respect that.
There is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions. You've created a fine list there Yojimbo. Bit generous towards Wallis who only played 10 games and Libba who was 2017 hangover version bad after about Round 5 or 6. Surprised about Suckers being top 10 but i know how highly you value the territory game.

Well done Wally .
As it seems we will bringing at least 2 older players via trade this year and with both the 2 old warriors in Libba and Wally hopefully having full pre seasons we will certainly field much older team next season . I just wonder where Wally and Libba fit into team in 2020 .
Worth its own thread i reckon...

Great thread Wally,thanks for the idea and the effort . My only beef with the list is JJ being so high. I would have both Tim English and Duryea rated higher and a case could be made for a couple of others. I thought JJ was a major disappointment this year for a senior player. In a very young team needing leadership he failed to accept the responsibility. The AFL could change the rules and allow JJ to hold a wet lettuce leaf in each hand and the intensity of his tackles would be instantly doubled. I just think he could have given so much more and so mark him down on what he didn't do.

Agree with you on JJ, he should be a lot further down the list, he's too soft to hold a spot on the backline where we need players that are willing to put their body on the line to get the ball or stop the opposition getting the ball, not standing away from the pack waiting for the handball out to go for a run (and on most occasions miss the target with his kick). He's got to wake up to himself and realise he's not a kid anymore, he's in the top 5-10 of experience players in the side now and needs to set an example for the newer players.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions. You've created a fine list there Yojimbo. Bit generous towards Wallis who only played 10 games and Libba who was 2017 hangover version bad after about Round 5 or 6. Surprised about Suckers being top 10 but i know how highly you value the territory game.
It was tough for me to differentiate between output, volume, and goals kicked through the centre grouping
of players. I think we got some of our balance and positioning horribly wrong at times this year. I think
the game plan favours certain types too much we were probably two players from being in the top four.
I wonder about the late inclusion of Lewis Young, I did too much head scratching this year and thought
our improvement came from having players out injured.

It was tough for me to differentiate between output, volume, and goals kicked through the centre grouping
of players. I think we got some of our balance and positioning horribly wrong at times this year. I think
the game plan favours certain types too much we were probably two players from being in the top four.
I wonder about the late inclusion of Lewis Young, I did too much head scratching this year and thought
our improvement came from having players out injured.
I wouldn't read too much into our injuries Yojimbo. 40% of our losses for the year came in the 1st 6 weeks of the season. Bailey Smith, Lachie Young and Will Hayes all made their debuts in that time. Tim English was still so raw. Lipinski and Trengove were in the two's. Dunks was in the forward line.

I think the method is strong, we just need to be patient and let continuity and cohesion do their thing.

I wouldn't read too much into our injuries Yojimbo. 40% of our losses for the year came in the 1st 6 weeks of the season. Bailey Smith, Lachie Young and Will Hayes all made their debuts in that time. Tim English was still so raw. Lipinski and Trengove were in the two's. Dunks was in the forward line.

I think the method is strong, we just need to be patient and let continuity and cohesion do their thing.
It's hard having 44 odd players to pick from and to even hope to balance a team I guess, it's frustrating
having a poor age demographic, but exciting in it's own way. By the time English and Naughton are in
their primes what of the others. Some of the list builds we have seen in recent years have been nothing
short of miraculous even if you had access to the full playing list of all the clubs it would be a hard
exercise not only to pick teams, but the fiscal realities are a totally separate problem. No wonder the
premiership is so valued, but in reality only the tip of the pyramid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back