Essendon, where are they now?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Bombers continue to play a running game around witches hats and a bruise free style of game .... bottom 4 next year!

Has to change the brand we play is not sustainable.

Bit of talk that Rutten and Caracella will be doing most of the coaching next season while Worsfold would take more of a back seat approach.

Has to change the brand we play is not sustainable.

Bit of talk that Rutten and Caracella will be doing most of the coaching next season while Worsfold would take more of a back seat approach.

If he were any more back seat he'd be a trailer mate.

Bit of a concern that a couple of its best forwards want out. Can understand Fantasia for family reasons but what’s the go with Joe? Mustn’t be happy. Bet Dodo isn’t pumping his fist now!

Where are the Bombers at? Treading water and underachieving. That's where.
Another season of promising much and falling flat on their arses.

As I check the ladder again... yep, we're above Hawthorn on the ladder. That's where we're at.
Essendon was also gifted a pretty easy draw in 2019 compared to Hawthorn

Teams played twice:

Haw: WCE, GWS, NM, Bris, Geel
Ess : .Coll, GWS, NM, Syd, Freo

The Hawks are in transition having lost their core group of premiership stars: Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Rioli, Gibson, Lake, Hill, Hale... Roughead and Birchall added nothing this year and are both gone, so you can add them to that list. We had our window of opportunity with these guys and we won FOUR flags.

Essendon have been the most active club in free agency and trade week for the past 2 years. Many were predicting them to push for the Top 4. Apart from McGrath and Parish, your entire team is in the 24yo to 30yo age bracket. You should be peaking. This is your premiership window and you had an easy 2019 fixture. So what did you achieve? 8th place, just 1 win above Hawthorn... and then another disappointing September blowout.

But as long as you're satisfied with finishing 8th and getting pumped in Elimination Finals, that's fine by me... :):thumbsu:
It's a long long way removed from the Kevin Sheedy era when the mighty Bombers terrorised the league from 1999 to 2001

Last edited:

Teams played twice:

The Hawks are in transition having lost their core group of premiership stars: Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Rioli, Gibson, Lake, Hill, Hale... Roughead and Birchall added nothing this year and are both gone, so you can add them to that list. We had our window of opportunity with these guys and we won FOUR flags.

Essendon have been the most active club in free agency and trade week for the past 2 years. Many were predicting them to push for the Top 4. Apart from McGrath, Francie and Parish, your entire team is in the 24yo to 30yo age bracket. You should be peaking. This is your premiership window and you had an easy 2019 fixture. So what did you achieve? 8th place, just 1 win above Hawthorn... and then another disappointing September blowout.

But as long as you're satisfied with finishing 8th and getting pumped in Elimination Finals, that's fine by me... :):thumbsu:
It's a long long way removed from the Kevin Sheedy era when the mighty Bombers terrorised the league from 1999 to 2001
age wise the window opens in the next 3-5.

Which is why losing guys like Daniher & Fantasia would be disastrous

In defence, we're set
In the middle, we need work. Not just personnel (we need a ruck up to the modern game and a proper inside gun). But mindset. too soft with our running and defensive efforts.

Our forward line could be amazing. A fit Joey & Raz alongside Stringer & Tippa plus a couple of solid players in McKernan & Langford (who belongs forward with his marking and kicking) would be great to see for a whole season. Losing half of the star power would set us back.

Need them both to stay on
Need to sign a gun mid.
then get the list fit.
then train hard in the offseason so we're in the right shape and frame of mind to compete for a flag.

i.e. we need to what Brisbane have done of late.

Teams played twice:

Essendon have been the most active club in free agency and trade week for the past 2 years. Many were predicting them to push for the Top 4. Apart from McGrath, Francie and Parish, your entire team is in the 24yo to 30yo age bracket. You should be peaking. This is your premiership window and you had an easy 2019 fixture. So what did you achieve? 8th place, just 1 win above Hawthorn... and then another disappointing September blowout.

Congrats on winning 3 flags by beating interstate teams in home Grand Finals during a period where the competition was at its weakest thanks to the introduction of 2 new franchises. Fond memories for you guys for sure.

This is 2019 though. Hawthorn are on the way down. You've gone out in straight sets back-to-back now and never really threatened finals this year. Oldest list in the league with almost half of your best 22 approaching or older than 30. Welcome to mediocrity.

Oh wait, this is a thread about Essendon? And people are sick of Hawthorn supporters bringing up flags that were won (and forgotten about) years ago? Yeah, no one gives a toss about Hawthorn anymore, as evidenced by your stagnating membership numbers.

We'll have to wait and see what this Essendon list can do. Plenty of young players that have shown positive signs but a lot will depend on what Daniher decides to do.

Last edited:
Congrats on winning 3 flags by beating interstate teams in home Grand Finals during a period where the competition was at its weakest thanks to the introduction of 2 new franchises. Fond memories for you guys for sure.

This is 2019 though. Hawthorn are on the way down. You've gone out in straight sets back-to-back now and never really threatened finals this year. Oldest list in the league with almost half of your best 22 approaching or older than 30. Welcome to mediocrity.

Oh wait, this is a thread about Essendon? And people are sick of Hawtorn supporters bringing up flags that were won (and forgotten about) years ago? Yeah, no one gives a toss about Hawthorn anymore.

Essendon will have an older list than Hawthorn come next month. Enjoy losing Daniher and Fantasia.

💩

Essendon will have an older list than Hawthorn come next month. Enjoy losing Daniher and Fantasia.

💩
Potentially. 2 of our oldest 3 players are retiring and we've moved on a few other 27+ year olds already. Still, even if we are older than Hawthorn next year, we are the better team at the moment.

We also have the 2nd least experienced list in the league, ahead of only the Gold Coast. Plenty of room for improvement.

Last edited:

Teams played twice:

Essendon have been the most active club in free agency and trade week for the past 2 years. Many were predicting them to push for the Top 4. Apart from McGrath and Parish, your entire team is in the 24yo to 30yo age bracket. You should be peaking. This is your premiership window and you had an easy 2019 fixture. So what did you achieve? 8th place, just 1 win above Hawthorn... and then another disappointing September blowout.

Possibly the worst team to make the 8 since, ironically, the blues who took their spot after the drugs saga.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly the worst team to make the 8 since, ironically, the blues who took their spot after the drugs saga.
that blues team wasnt too bad though

We had a pretty poor % after two hammerings. And early on we looked so far from finals it wasnt funny.
the scraping in of wins vs some pretty poor teams covered a lot of cracks.

We don't have the depth to cover the injuries we had.
Nor do i think we have an adequate ruckman to make a serious tilt. Stef Martin's efforts last night showed why you need that presence.

Essendon and the Dogs were a good example for the argument for a top 6.

Congrats on winning 3 flags by beating interstate teams in home Grand Finals during a period where the competition was at its weakest thanks to the introduction of 2 new franchises.
Fond memories for you guys for sure.
Cheers mate! It was an unbelievable ride. I can scarcely believe that I witnessed 8 Grand Finals and 5 flags from 1983 to 1991, let alone another decade of dominance where we played in 5 Grand Finals and won 4 flags. Just an amazing privilege to be there and cheer on the likes of Hodge, Mitchell, Roughy, Buddy, Cyril, Burgoyne, etc...

This is 2019 though. Hawthorn are on the way down.
Yeahhhh, so you and the Essendon trolls keep saying... 😆 Since we slid from premiership contention after 2016, you blokes have predicting our slide to the bottom four every year for the past 3 years! We've been turning our list over, replacing our ageing champions and managed to win 10, 15 and 11 games.

Haw 2017-2019: 36 wins, 29 losses, 1 draw (plus 2 finals defeats)

How many games have the "mighty" Bombers won in that time? 12, 12 and 12

Ess: 2017-2019: 36 wins, 30 losses (plus 2 finals defeats)

You've gone out in straight sets back-to-back now and never really threatened finals this year. Oldest list in the league with almost half of your best 22 approaching or older than 30. Welcome to mediocrity.
Yeah, mate. It's like I already said: we had our time and boy, did we make the most of it! Nothing lasts forever. I'm just glad we cashed in when we had the chance. So now we're in a period of transition and rebuilding our team. I don't think you'll find many Hawthorn fans who are unhappy with how things have gone and what Clarko is doing with the current group of players.

Right now, this is Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood, GWS and Essendon's time to shine. They're the clubs who are in their premiership window.

How's it working out for you?

The Bulldogs and the Lions are looking bloody promising. They are definitely headed for big things over the next few years. Some would say they have already gone past Essendon and they'll be ready to challenge the big boys in 2020. That must suck to be you.

Oh wait, this is a thread about Essendon? And people are sick of Hawtorn supporters bringing up flags that were won (and forgotten about) years ago? Yeah, no one gives a toss about Hawthorn anymore.
Well, if you don't give a toss about Hawthorn anymore, don't mention us in a thread about Essendon, ya tosser! 😆

Quit trying to troll the Hawthorn fans in all those other lame troll threads you post in. Quit reading the Hawthorn Board and quoting posts for that Delusional Pearlers thread you've got going on the Essendon Board. (Ironic that Bombers fans would have a thread titled "Delusional Pearlers" :D)

Just let go of the envy, dude. Jealousy will get you nowhere.

Last edited:
Well, at least the 9th-placed Blues managed to win their Elimination final

For mine, it's hard to split the 2017 and 2019 Bombers. They were both very ordinary teams with a soft underbelly

2017 Elimination Final
Sydney...... 3.2... 13.5... 17.5... 19.7 (121)
Essendon.... 1.3.... 3.4.... 5.8..... 8.8 (56)

Essendon are only a few weeks away from playing their best football.

They come out of the blocks early in trade period when Dodoro gets one over <insert team/s> by luring <insert good but flakey flanker/outside mid> to Bomberland when he could have got more elsewhere!

Then they roll into the draft where despite not having any decent picks coz Dodo traded them all away, they still snare definite gems in the mid to later rounds ... some of whom do actually come good.

Then we're into the part of the season where Mark Robinson and Timmy Watson really go to work at the coalface - endless segments at Essendon training, photo spreads in the Hun of the boys on camps, helping kiddies at clinics, profiles with the likes of Matt Guelfi talking about how he's the learned the lesson of whiting his hair etc etc.

Come January things heat up with the Bomber boys doing the hard yards in the media posing with cricketers, tennis players, talent show contest winners, as yet unmasked underworld identities and kiddies afflicted with awful diseases and conditions.

Then BANG late Feb and early March and the finals are upon us - every footy journo and media type will be full bore on the Bomber hype.

Finals defintely, most likely top four ... don't be suprised if the Bombers are there on the last day in September!

And then sadly for Essendon fans, actual footy played with a real life ball on grassy fields begins.
I’m genuinely concerned that the addition of Blake Caracalla will go a long way to seeing them become competitive.

I can scarcely believe that I witnessed 8 Grand Finals and 5 flags from 1983 to 1991
What a great accomplishment in your life.

Yeahhhh, so you and the Essendon trolls keep saying... 😆 Since we slid from premiership contention after 2016, you blokes have predicting our slide to the bottom four every year for the past 3 years! We've been turning our list over, replacing our ageing champions and managed to win 10, 15 and 11 games.
To be fair, you did spend a number of weeks hovering around the bottom 4 this season (including being in the bottom 4 as late as Round 15) before getting a few late junk time wins when the pressure was off.

As you continue to cut a lot of your older players that are still propping this team up, the drop will continue. And it'll be harder to get back to success if star Free Agents and trade targets (like Lynch, Shiel and Coniglio) keep rejecting you. Hopefully Hawthorn can make those draft picks count.

So now we're in a period of transition and rebuilding our team.
So Hawthorn are rebuilding right now. We can agree on that. I think it was 8 of your best 22 players that were over the age of 30. The end comes quickly. Plenty more rebuilding left to do.

Right now, this is Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood, GWS and Essendon's time to shine. They're the clubs who are in their premiership window.
Are they? How generous of you to include us in that bracket while leaving out far more worthy teams.

Well, if you don't give a toss about Hawthorn anymore, don't mention us in a thread about Essendon, ya tosser! 😆
That was posted in response to the unfortunate off-topic trolling that Hawthorn supporters were bringing to this thread in the wake of our Elimination Final defeat. I'm disappointed in myself.

Just let go of the envy, dude. Jealousy will get you nowhere.

Quit trying to troll the Hawthorn fans in all those other lame troll threads you post in. Quit reading the Hawthorn Board and quoting posts for that Delusional Pearlers thread you've got going on the Essendon Board. (Ironic that Bombers fans would have a thread titled "Delusional Pearlers" :D)
The most popular thread on the Hawthorn board is a thread dedicated to Essendon... a thread that is still routinely updated with all the latest Essendon gossip. It sucks that the Delusional Pearlers thread seems to have gotten to you (found a few of your own quotes in there, did ya?) but every board likes to laugh at others. Don't take it so seriously man. I apologise if any of my "trolling" upset you.

Look, I know that you must think everyone still fawns over Hawthorn and their recent success. But everyone has moved on. The truth is that Hawthorn's past success is completely irrelevant to this thread or to Hawthorn's prospects going forward. As you said, a lot of the Hawthorn stars that delivered you your last flag are now gone. This is a different, far more mediocre Hawthorn team we are dealing with at the moment. If you want to continue to pleasure yourself to the memories of 2013-2015, you can always go around to Xtreme's house and watch the Grand Final DVDs with him.

As for Essendon (let's try get this back on topic), we made finals this year despite missing our previous 2 BnF winners for almost the entirety of the season. That's where we're at. We'll need to add another inside midfielder and hopefully upgrade our ruck stocks this off-season. With a few more off-field changes in the coaching and fitness staff ranks, we'll look to go one better next year. See you around.

I’m genuinely concerned that the addition of Blake Caracalla will go a long way to seeing them become competitive.

As long Dodo is there they are destined for mediocrity.

I'm so used to us being crap that next season will be no different.

What will the excuses be next year if we have poor season again slow starts? injuries? Learnings? * off with that s**t sick of the excuses from this club.

Every year the club sells me hope that they will improve and climb up the ladder yet nothing changes well not anymore I'm done with what the club is selling I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
What a great accomplishment in your life.

To be fair, you did spend a number of weeks hovering around the bottom 4 this season (including being in the bottom 4 as late as Round 15) before getting a few late junk time wins when the pressure was off.

As you continue to cut a lot of your older players that are still propping this team up, the drop will continue. And it'll be harder to get back to success if star Free Agents and trade targets (like Lynch, Shiel and Coniglio) keep rejecting you. Hopefully Hawthorn can make those draft picks count.

So Hawthorn are rebuilding right now. We can agree on that. I think it was 8 of your best 22 players that were over the age of 30. The end comes quickly. Plenty more rebuilding left to do.

Are they? How generous of you to include us in that bracket while leaving out far more worthy teams.

That was posted in response to the unfortunate off-topic trolling that Hawthorn supporters were bringing to this thread in the wake of our Elimination Final defeat. I'm disappointed in myself.

The most popular thread on the Hawthorn board is a thread dedicated to Essendon... a thread that is still routinely updated with all the latest Essendon gossip. It sucks that the Delusional Pearlers thread seems to have gotten to you (found a few of your own quotes in there, did ya?) but every board likes to laugh at others. Don't take it so seriously man. I apologise if any of my "trolling" upset you.

Look, I know that you must think everyone still fawns over Hawthorn and their recent success. But everyone has moved on. The truth is that Hawthorn's past success is completely irrelevant to this thread or to Hawthorn's prospects going forward. As you said, a lot of the Hawthorn stars that delivered you your last flag are now gone. This is a different, far more mediocre Hawthorn team we are dealing with at the moment. If you want to continue to pleasure yourself to the memories of 2013-2015, you can always go around to Xtreme's house and watch the Grand Final DVDs with him.

As for Essendon (let's try get this back on topic), we made finals this year despite missing our previous 2 BnF winners for almost the entirety of the season. That's where we're at. We'll need to add another inside midfielder and hopefully upgrade our ruck stocks this off-season. With a few more off-field changes in the coaching and fitness staff ranks, we'll look to go one better next year. See you around.
tl;dr 🌈

F**kin walls and walls of bullshiit, mate

Ain't got time for that crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back