My fears of making the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m the same. I dread the idea of facing Richmond. We’re going to get massacred.

The one way I’m getting over the fear is by hoping we play our best fit team in the prelim.

That means no conservative selection.

Reid and Wells should come it.

If they make it through and we do well then we are a chance in the GF.

Conservative selection has me thinking the Tigers will smash is by 10 goals.

There you go.
We were supposed to get massacred in last year’s preliminary, WCE were supposed to thrash Hawthorn in the final round this year. If you’re not in the GF you can’t lose it but you can’t WIN it. On the day anything can happen.

Interesting thread and great insight into the highs and lows of being a Collingwood supporter.... Its never easy but its always interesting! On this topic; I think Buckley summed it up best at the B & F last year:
Don’t be afraid of the hurt.
Don’t be afraid of the downside because as soon as you’re afraid of that well, then, you hold a little bit back.
And if you hold a little bit back you won’t be giving all of yourself.
I’m talking to the players, I’m talking to the staff, I’m talking to the supporters.
I’m talking to all of us.
Let’s be prepared to continue to put it all on the line.
Let’s be prepared to work for all of our dreams and ambitions.
There’s no deserving it.
All there is, is earning it.
We’re going to explore it and find out how good we can be.
Our story’s not done. We’re going to chase it.
Don’t let anyone else tell you what our story is.

absolutely nailed it

As Collingwood supporters, hope is what we get from every win during the season. Hope that we make it all the way to the big dance to have a crack at the ultimate prize. It's one of the many things that makes us supporters so passionate about our club.

And you know what? If we lose, we lose. Big deal. We feel like crap for a few months, cop some ribbings by mates and colleagues, and erase any recordings of the Grand Final we were making.
But at least we made it to the last game of the year. But if we win..

I'd much rather make the Grand Final and lose it, than not make it at all.

I think I have one too many scars. I actually feel sick at the thought of making the grand final. Yet I understand that the only way we can achieve the ultimate dream is to walk through the furnace and hope the gods are kind. I actually told my son I don't think I can attend or watch the granny if we do make it. I think our opponent will either be Richmond or the Eagles. I don't think the Cats will get through. The very thought of losing another grand final to either of these teams makes me feel ill. My other fear is that another GF loss will break the heart and spirit of Bucks and the players making our hopes of premiership success even more unlikely in the coming years.

I suppose it's the dilemma any person who has experienced heartbreak in a relationship feels when they finally emerge from their grief and battered self esteem and meet someone they like. Do they pursue the new relationship and hope this one brings true happiness and love or is the risk of further heartbreak and pain too much to contemplate. Is it better not to reach out for the dream and simply become accustomed to living a quiet, less passionate existence but one that is free of the agony we experience when we lose something so precious?

No doubt, if we do make it, I will probably try to get tickets and endure yet another torturous afternoon because there is always that very slight (but highly unlikely) chance we could have a miraculous win which would provide me with memories I will carry to my grave. If only I could live in the moment and simply enjoy the fact that we are in with a chance and our hopes are still alive.

Oh well, time will tell.

I don't feel that way at all. I'm excited to see our team in a position to challenge once more.

This is what I said about this time last year.

Would you Rather Lose in the GF or PF?
I said this too earlier maybe last month.

If given the choice that Pies cannot be premiers in 2019.... But the footy Gods have given Pies a choice....

Lose in Preliminary or Lose in Grand Final against Tigers....

I choose the former 10/10

Pies have had the most Grand Final appearances and losses.... Currently second in regards to overall flags... So not that bad...

But losing Grand Finals too many times have led to the Colliwobbles nickname... And that hurts.... But losing to Tigers... Especially with their fans.... It's like as bad as losing to Blues or Bombers. These three rivals are worst case losses in Grand Final situations IMO....

Would rather lose in a small dance against a lesser annoying team and with no historical rivalry than hear tiger fans say Colliwobbles for the next year..

If given the choice that Pies cannot be premiers in 2019.... But the footy Gods have given Pies a choice....

Pies have had the most Grand Final appearances and losses.... Currently second in regards to overall flags... So not that bad...

But losing Grand Finals too many times have led to the Colliwobbles nickname... And that hurts.... But losing to Tigers... Especially with their fans.... It's like as bad as losing to Blues or Bombers. These three rivals are worst case losses in Grand Final situations IMO....

Would rather lose in a small dance against a lesser annoying team and with no historical rivalry than hear tiger fans say Colliwobbles for the next year..

No way. I'd much prefer to be in the Grand Final with a chance to win. With a chance to smash the Tiges. We need more confidence and less defeatism.

As a supporter it's hard not to have fears about finals but it's easy to make a conscious decision not to bag the players and the coaches if we dont get the job done.

But what if we win? Richmond aren’t there yet anyway.

I think I have one too many scars. I actually feel sick at the thought of making the grand final. Yet I understand that the only way we can achieve the ultimate dream is to walk through the furnace and hope the gods are kind. I actually told my son I don't think I can attend or watch the granny if we do make it. I think our opponent will either be Richmond or the Eagles. I don't think the Cats will get through. The very thought of losing another grand final to either of these teams makes me feel ill. My other fear is that another GF loss will break the heart and spirit of Bucks and the players making our hopes of premiership success even more unlikely in the coming years.

I suppose it's the dilemma any person who has experienced heartbreak in a relationship feels when they finally emerge from their grief and battered self esteem and meet someone they like. Do they pursue the new relationship and hope this one brings true happiness and love or is the risk of further heartbreak and pain too much to contemplate. Is it better not to reach out for the dream and simply become accustomed to living a quiet, less passionate existence but one that is free of the agony we experience when we lose something so precious?

No doubt, if we do make it, I will probably try to get tickets and endure yet another torturous afternoon because there is always that very slight (but highly unlikely) chance we could have a miraculous win which would provide me with memories I will carry to my grave. If only I could live in the moment and simply enjoy the fact that we are in with a chance and our hopes are still alive.

Oh well, time will tell.
Perfectly reasonable thought. As long you feel your not on your own thinking like that. We all support during the next few weeks. Side by Side.

I have seen us lose in 1977, 79, 80, 81, 2002, 2003, 2011 and 2018. I was at the game each time and remember bawling my eyes out at the end of either 79, 80 or 81 and some old lady telling me 'don't cry there is always next year'!

Am I scarred by those losses. Absolutely. I also experienced the joy of 1990 and 2010.

Last year (2018) I went to game thinking we'll lose - that is my way of managing the grief that inevitably follows. Did I enjoy losing. No way. I hate it. I hate it to the point of not wanting to care, but I know climbing the mountain in this thing called life is full of ups and downs and supporting our great club has more upside than downs, besides a few hours on the last day in September.

Go Pies!

No way. I'd much prefer to be in the Grand Final with a chance to win. With a chance to smash the Tiges. We need more confidence and less defeatism.
did you read my post properly?

I stated CLEARLY, given that the footy gods have made it clear that the Pies cannot be premiers but have given two options of when to lose... either PF or GF against Tigers.... I choose the former.

If its 50/50, obviously you want that chance, but my post clearly stated that if the Pies only a lose/lose situtaion... I would pick the less painful one.

But what if we win? Richmond aren’t there yet anyway.
again... the post clearly stated that the Pies have a lose / lose situation as per footy gods and were given a choice when to lose... either PF or GF against the Tigers. I'd rather lose in the PF than a GF against the Tigers whose fans would rub it in for an eternity.

again... the post clearly stated that the Pies have a lose / lose situation as per footy gods and were given a choice when to lose... either PF or GF against the Tigers. I'd rather lose in the PF than a GF against the Tigers whose fans would rub it in for an eternity.
Meh. How more nauseating can Tiges get; Already the endless regurgitating of 2017 , pretenders to be the biggest club and claiming to be the source of everything in the universe?
Our team deserves to be in the GF, purely because of the challenges thrown at them and how they responded. An undignified exit in the PF would be doing that effort injustice.
And there is a silver lining. If Tiges would win this year, it was US that prevented a 3 peat. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s Pies v Richmond GF I’d think more pressure is on them. They’d potentially have 3yrs of being top of the ladder with only 1 flag.

They could have a bad day in front of goal, Dusty injured in first minutes, who knows. Would rather be there than not.

As a club we are absolutely overdue for something to go our way on GF day.

I stated CLEARLY, given that the footy gods have made it clear that the Pies cannot be premiers but have given two options of when to lose... either PF or GF against Tigers.... I choose the former.

If its 50/50, obviously you want that chance, but my post clearly stated that if the Pies only a lose/lose situtaion... I would pick the less painful one.

The footy gods ...do they have a website or did you get an email?

I don't visit other clubs pages to see what they're all about...but do other clubs carry on like this?
Fear of the unknown is one thing...but fear of losing a footy game? Surely we're big enough and tough enough to survive that?
Let's not forget that the media FEEDS of this stuff (Collingwood people doubting themselves) and they'll perpetuate the tripe as long as we show them we're vulnerable to it.

As for me, I look forward to this game (the prelim) as much as I do any other game! Lets go Pies!

I don't feel that way at all. I'm excited to see our team in a position to challenge once more.
Let's say you have been involved in four or five serious relationships and each one ended with your partner being unfaithful and eventually walking out on you-shattering your heart and sense of self worth each time. Are you seriously suggesting that the next time you meet an attractive potential partner you don't feel a sense of apprehension, a fear you may be locking yourself in for more heartache?

For the record my first girlfriend became my wife of forty years and it has been a blissful experience. The above is merely a hypothetical! :)

Let's say you have been involved in four or five serious relationships and each one ended with your partner being unfaithful and eventually walking out on you-shattering your heart and sense of self worth each time. Are you seriously suggesting that the next time you meet an attractive potential partner you don't feel a sense of apprehension, a fear you may be locking yourself in for more heartache?

For the record my first girlfriend became my wife of forty years and it has been a blissful experience. The above is merely a hypothetical! :)

Nope, no apprehension. Just excitement.

I don't visit other clubs pages to see what they're all about...but do other clubs carry on like this?
Fear of the unknown is one thing...but fear of losing a footy game? Surely we're big enough and tough enough to survive that?
Let's not forget that the media FEEDS of this stuff (Collingwood people doubting themselves) and they'll perpetuate the tripe as long as we show them we're vulnerable to it.

As for me, I look forward to this game (the prelim) as much as I do any other game! Lets go Pies!
No other club has come close to the heartbreak we have endured. That's why they may not "carry on" like us.

I think you unwittingly revealed why you are so upbeat and excited rather than tense and apprehensive. You mocked the idea of a person feeling fear over losing a footy game. It's more than a game to many of us. Of course we all survive a loss-we are here discussing our chances in 2019 but the very fact you can be so dismissive of those who fear more heartbreak simply means we feel the pain far more deeply than you do. That's not a criticism. We feel what we feel.

You remind me of the bloke who tells his mate who is broken hearted over the break up of his marriage- "Oh come on! There are plenty more fish in the sea! This is an opportunity for a fresh start!..... The man who speaks like this has never felt the depth of love the broken hearted man felt for his wife and cannot comprehend his state of depression.

I think you'll find there are many supporters who simply endure finals and in particular, grand finals rather than enjoy them. The joy comes when the result is a favorable one. Then you can watch countless replays, read every newspaper article and listen to every segment on SEN for the next few months and live in a state of constant euphoria while you do!

The footy gods ...do they have a website or did you get an email?
I'm asking this as politely and sincerely as possible: can you please stop mocking the footy gods? What is wrong with people?

Stupid hypothesis is relatively stupid !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back