2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Root giving no credit for the opposition. Class, England. Class. Miserable chaps

Never has in any of the post match speeches I've seen him do.

Should at least thank us for effectively forgoing openers in every test just to make the series interesting. Hopefully we will not be so generous when they come out in 2021.

England at 2.25 were amazing value pre-Test.

Take Smith out and we lose 4-0, maybe 5-0. And we all know it.

Credit to Wade for two tonnes in this series. I didn't think he had it in him. Hope he keeps his spot all summer.

Lol at our openers giving us nothing. Absolutely nothing. Makes Smith's heroics all the more... heroic.

Yeah Paine is crap but he was brought in for a job, we keep the Ashes, job done afaic. Sooner Carey gets up the better. But Paine will always be the guy who retiained the Ashes so credit to him for that. Even if he contributed almost nothing with gloves or bat.

That is all.

Despite making a monumental blunder at the toss, I wish he had admitted it, I have thought Paine has done a reasonable job at captain over the 14 Mon th s. Now however that speech has changed that. Admits he cannot read a pitch but makes a call after the analysis and agreement has been made to bat.
With the DRS and some horrible field settings under pressure he is probably a liability. Needs to know his limitations.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would have been alright with him bowling first if he was thinking about it but wasn't sure so went up to his quicks and said fellas you want first use and they all put their hands up and said yeah let's get stuck in.

Paine just doesn't seem to know why he wanted to bowl first he just didn't want to make a decision which he admitted in an earlier test.

Wasn’t as intense or enthusiastic this test. The job was done last week. Meh. Who cares. Still got the Ashes
That’s bullshit. The job is never done until the series is won. Even then, they’re generously paid professional sportsmen. If I clocked off at work there would be repercussions. I’m paid a fraction of what these people earn.
Plus, who gives a * about the signage. The series was drawn 2-2. Drawn series is spot on. Say it as it is. No PC crap.

Great to “retain” the Ashes but an underwhelming result in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, it seems like the Ashes is the only trophy in cricket people seem satisfied to 'retain' (ie by default) through a drawn series, rather than winning it outright. It just feels like a missed opportunity.

The weakening of the batting was a huge issue. Starc and Head missing for Marsh and Siddle really lengthened the tail, as did the baffling retention of Warner after one of the worst series I've ever seen from a batsman in my lifetime. Bancroft offered better hands in close, is right-handed (as opposed to all other opening options) and at least took a bit of shine off the ball.

Marsh is a tricky one. Despite an excellent game with the ball, could he realistically replace a frontline bowler on a regular basis? With Starc and Pattinson still on the sidelines, you'd think not. What shouldn't be in doubt is his batting not being top-6 standard.

Looks like the Laurel and Hardy show is done and dusted on the international arena...I guess with runs in the bank Warner will be rolled out again v Pakistan....whilst Harris will have to earn his spot again plundering shield attacks on drop in roads back home....not sure how many shield games there will be before Pakistan and NZ series...but no doubt JL will roll out the usual selection mantra "runs are currency"...that is until you make the side and then the mantra doesn't apply.....some interesting selections coming up I reckon....or perhaps not knowing JL....is there a difference between loyalty and stubbornness?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gutsy innings by Wade who I thought was a little unlucky in a couple of innings. Not like England exposed an obvious weakness.

Bancroft should have played more tests. Warner for a guy who’s England average was low 30s at beginning of the series should have been dropped far earlier. Apart from SA the guy’s overseas record is appalling. Having said that I’d play him in first test of home series

Not a lot between sides, Burns and even Denly surprised me. Archer one of the most exciting Caribbean bowlers in years.

Burns
Denly
Labuscagne
Smith
Stokes
Wade
Bairstow*
Cummins
Archer
Broad
Hazelwood/Lyon

Bairstow in by default over Paine as keeper. Denly sneaks in ahead of Root for opening spot

Burns
Denly
Labuscagne
Smith
Stokes
Wade
Bairstow*
Cummins
Archer
Broad
Hazelwood/Lyon

Bairstow in by default over Paine as keeper. Denly sneaks in ahead of Root for opening spot

Denly?

Absolute joke. If he hadn't been dropped so often, he'd have a lower average than Warner. Better off giving Starc the job. The openers for both teams were below test standard

Just listening to Paine's presser, he just has no clue.

Honestly, talking about how his side need to be good enough so as to be able to ignore the toss and whether they bat or bowl first, ignores the majority of history of tests in England. Honestly, a bit of realism is needed Paine.

Moreso talking about how he has more to prove. How about you fix your batting? Or how you use DRS? Or how you set fields? Or how you appraise pitches?

Honestly, living in a dreamworld he is.

Honestly, talking about how his side need to be good enough so as to be able to ignore the toss and whether they bat or bowl first, ignores the majority of history of tests in England. Honestly, a bit of realism is needed Paine.

Moreso talking about how he has more to prove. How about you fix your batting? Or how you use DRS? Or how you set fields? Or how you appraise pitches?

I'd like to argue with this but frankly it's 100% correct. If Paine truly cares about Australian cricket, he'll stand down from all tests from this point

Drawn series against a really poor England side. An England side which was rolled by Ireland for 85 in their first innings in July.
So many poor performances with that bat.
Great we retained the Ashes, but I hope Langer and the selectors come under pressure.
Come under pressure from who?

Same as his comments about how if he brought the field in to give his bowlers more balls at Leach at Headingly Stokes would have hit more boundaries and we might have lost sooner. Just such a frankly bizarre take I'd expect it from someone new to the sport, not a 30+ y.o. veteran.

The idea some have expressed that he's only criticized because every captain gets criticized ignores how poor he has been, with the exception of using Labuschagne well to but us 2-1 up in the series.

Also a lot of "we's" used talking about the DRS for a guy who has the ultimate say/accountability:
“We’re having a mare. We’ve got it wrong. We’re not deliberately getting together and saying, ‘Gee I reckon that’s out Gaz (Lyon), do you want to refer it? Nah let’s let him keep batting’.

“We’re getting it wrong, it happens, it’s fast, it’s a tough job. As I’ve said throughout the whole Test series I’ve got a new respect for umpiring, particularly in Test cricket because it’s a bloody hard job.

“For years players whinged about umpiring and now we’ve got it in our hands a little bit and we’re finding that it’s hard.”

Retaining the Ashes is sweet, but do not think Paine can handle a high intensity series like the Ashes, has seemed to let the pressure dominate him to the detriment of his captaincy the majority of the time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back