2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Yeah I'm very confident we are keeping the ashes in 2021, this current England side wouldn't win a test in our conditions so unless something dramatic happens to change that side we will have the ashes for six years at least.
If nothing is done to change the glaring problems with this Australian side, and if Smith doesn't ton up every Test, then I fully expect England to go home with the Ashes in 2021/22.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
If nothing is done to change the glaring problems with this Australian side, and if Smith doesn't ton up every Test, then I fully expect England to go home with the Ashes in 2021/22.

I don’t at all, they have 1 bowler who will be able to do well here in Archer unless they find others.

Mind you by then from our side Paine will be gone, Warner every chance to not be around too.

Our bowling line up should be largely in tact.

Fact is we have been way more competitive over there than they have been here since they beat us in 2010-11

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I certainly dont even with all our problems.

They havent won a test in Australia since the 2010/11 series.

Our batsmen struggle over there yet look a million bucks on our wickets.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj

This England side are pretty awful away from home, our batting is obviously stronger here as well our openers aren't going to average ten on our dead tracks.

Let's remember we haven't won in england for 18 years England have just one series win over here in 32 years you need to be a fair bit better than the other side to win the ashes back away from home.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
I don’t at all, they have 1 bowler who will be able to do well here in Archer unless they find others.

Mind you by then from our side Paine will be gone, Warner every chance to not be around too.

Our bowling line up should be largely in tact.

Fact is we have been way more competitive over there than they have been here since they beat us in 2010-11
You're making a lot of assumptions there:
Paine will be gone.
Warner will be gone.
Bowling line up will be in tact.

On the other hand England will be coming to Australia looking for redemption.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Basically the batting was left to too little and too many passengers and Smith ran out of gas. Gee some players back home would love to be backed in by the selectors like Warner does. Now watch him smash runs at home. If he doesn't then that's probably it for his test career.

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Mate of mine spent a week in the Australian camp last summer... Doing some coaching stuff.
He said to Warner in the nets, do you spend time each session on areas you want to work on?
Warner : i just hit every ball as hard as I can.
Hard to imagine how his weaknesses haven't been rectified....

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
England at 2.25 were amazing value pre-Test.

Take Smith out and we lose 4-0, maybe 5-0. And we all know it.

Credit to Wade for two tonnes in this series. I didn't think he had it in him. Hope he keeps his spot all summer.

Lol at our openers giving us nothing. Absolutely nothing. Makes Smith's heroics all the more... heroic.

Yeah Paine is crap but he was brought in for a job, we keep the Ashes, job done afaic. Sooner Carey gets up the better. But Paine will always be the guy who retiained the Ashes so credit to him for that. Even if he contributed almost nothing with gloves or bat.

That is all.
Having said that we should've won the 3rd Test without Smith.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Adding women to the commentator talent pool has worked well. I don't know all their names but they were all good. Isa Guya has a great voice.

Ian healys relentless optimism and exaggeration is disorienting. I'd rather know the actual state of play, rather than viewing things through his eyes.

Deserved loss given the decisions by the selectors (retain the opening partnership that has failed totally and utterly all series) and Paine (bowl first - lol).

All it would have taken was a couple of 20-30s from each of the openers here and we would have got the job done - instead they stuck with two guys who anyone could see were not up to the job.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Basically the batting was left to too little and too many passengers and Smith ran out of gas. Gee some players back home would love to be backed in by the selectors like Warner does. Now watch him smash runs at home. If he doesn't then that's probably it for his test career.

21 Test tons has to buy you some free tickets. How many, I'm not sure.

Jan 8, 2009
slightly off centre
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Looks like the Laurel and Hardy show is done and dusted on the international arena...I guess with runs in the bank Warner will be rolled out again v Pakistan....whilst Harris will have to earn his spot again plundering shield attacks on drop in roads back home....not sure how many shield games there will be before Pakistan and NZ series...but no doubt JL will roll out the usual selection mantra "runs are currency"...that is until you make the side and then the mantra doesn't apply.....some interesting selections coming up I reckon....or perhaps not knowing JL....is there a difference between loyalty and stubbornness?
And favouritism

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

wolmeister

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The Poms are poo. No credit given by the players to Australia and also the signage. Go home and have a pot of stew followed by washing your privates with a flannel. Dickheads

Root reckoned the drawn series was a fair result; as clueless as Paine is. Can't want until 2020/2121 so we can give them a right hiding at home.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Despite making a monumental blunder at the toss, I wish he had admitted it, I have thought Paine has done a reasonable job at captain over the 14 Mon th s. Now however that speech has changed that. Admits he cannot read a pitch but makes a call after the analysis and agreement has been made to bat.
With the DRS and some horrible field settings under pressure he is probably a liability. Needs to know his limitations.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know about the players, but the moment I heard Paine say they were fielding, I felt let down. I don't think the decision to bowl helped the players' mindsets, and Paine deserves all the blame for his act of stupidity that comes his way. He's proven to all and sundry that he's not captaincy material and decisions need to be made before the 1st Test here in Australia. Surely there must be someone in the squad who understands what's required.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
1) Harris had averaged nearly 50 in the Shield over two years since moving states. 2) Carey's batting average barely nudges the 30s, and isn't on the up, and 3) his keeping has been exposed as being much less remarkable than advertised.
I wasn't trying to compare Harris/Carey as like-for-like.
Carey is a keeper-batsman.
Harris is a batsman only, and not a Test-level fieldsman. Where he excelled was in the post-4th-Test celebrations, to which result he had contributed stuff-all.
1) ... which is why Harris was selected. Deserved it: no problem. His performances in the Ashes are now why he should be dropped.
2) It's 31.38; whether that's "on the up" or not has yet to be decided/achieved, by Carey. Tim Paine's FC avge is 28.9, by comparison.
3) We don't know if Carey would do a better job than Paine until he's selected and given the same kind of support that Harris and others have enjoyed.
Please cite a reference or stats for your claim that Carey's keeping "has been exposed as being much less remarkable than advertised".
Exposed/advertised by whom, please?

Finally, Labuschagne's FC avge is 38.1/unremarkable, but he looks every bit a Test batsman. Harris looks like he has some growing up to do before he succeeds at Test level. Can't bowl, batted/fielded badly.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't know about the players, but the moment I heard Paine say they were fielding, I felt let down. I don't think the decision to bowl helped the players' mindsets, and Paine deserves all the blame for his act of stupidity that comes his way. He's proven to all and sundry that he's not captaincy material and decisions need to be made before the 1st Test here in Australia. Surely there must be someone in the squad who understands what's required.
On the note of player mindset, Paine said if we had held our catches his decision might have looked different (paraphrasing, but pretty sure that was the gist of it). I hazard a guess that the players might have held their catches better if they got a break from being in the field while we were batting first, instead of being put on the back foot of needing to take England down to keep our heads above water by bowling first. England should have been the ones treading water trying to stay afloat in the Test, not us.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Australia win the ashes outright with a boundary count back.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
View attachment 746803

I assume you’ve seen this , the exact pic used by DRS when the spike occurred
I'm as rabid and one-eyed an Aussie supporter as you'll get, but to my knowledge DRS does not use still frames along with their 'snicko'. :expressionless:
The photo appears to show the ball before it reaches the bat, but that might be wrong due to error of parallax.
I have no site/reference for this, but apparently Warner admitted to Ponting that he'd hit it.
Regardless, look in the book.
We'll never really know, for sure.

Back