General MFC Discussion 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing Brisbane go out in straight sets and Essendon not winning a final for so long really makes me appreciate last year.

The finals this year have also brought back some good memories of last season. Being at those first two finals and winning was such a great feeling. Bring on 2020.
Dogs didn’t win any finals in 2015, and Richmond didn’t win any between 2013-2015. We’re the only club that’s been able to win them first go after an extended period out.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dogs didn’t win any finals in 2015, and Richmond didn’t win any between 2013-2015. We’re the only club that’s been able to win them first go after an extended period out.

That thought alone keeps me warm at night. I don't think fans of other clubs or the AFL world in general understand just how unique and special we are.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seeing Brisbane go out in straight sets and Essendon not winning a final for so long really makes me appreciate last year.

The finals this year have also brought back some good memories of last season. Being at those first two finals and winning was such a great feeling. Bring on 2020.

It's interesting reading all the news about Brisbane. All of the articles are similar to us last year - lock for top 4, going to go deeper/better in finals now that they have the 'big game experience', etc.

Didn't work out for us. They'll get a far harder fixture next year too. Not saying they won't smash it again, but to back up with another top-2 finish is gonna be tough.

e: On further investigation they won four games this year against top four sides. Two of those wins were against the Dogs.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
It's interesting reading all the news about Brisbane. All of the articles are similar to us last year - lock for top 4, going to go deeper/better in finals now that they have the 'big game experience', etc.

Didn't work out for us. They'll get a far harder fixture next year too. Not saying they won't smash it again, but to back up with another top-2 finish is gonna be tough.

e: On further investigation they won four games this year against top four sides. Two of those wins were against the Dogs.
I think they'll drop back considerably personally, which will be a shame, because I've loved the passion and interest they've brought back to the game up here, so I really want them to do well.

They'll get a much harder fixture, and its very unlikely they'll have as charmed an injury run as they've had this year also, which has played a massive part in how well they've gone this season. Their reserves fielded pretty much a full squad of listed players all year this year, on the way to go undefeated, and winning the NEAFL flag yesterday by a lazy 70 points.

Dogs weren't in the top 4.

That thought alone keeps me warm at night. I don't think fans of other clubs or the AFL world in general understand just how unique and special we are.
Our punishment will be another decade of irrelevance. Congratulations!

I think they'll drop back considerably personally, which will be a shame, because I've loved the passion and interest they've brought back to the game up here, so I really want them to do well.

They'll get a much harder fixture, and its very unlikely they'll have as charmed an injury run as they've had this year also, which has played a massive part in how well they've gone this season. Their reserves fielded pretty much a full squad of listed players all year this year, on the way to go undefeated, and winning the NEAFL flag yesterday by a lazy 70 points.
Not sure they'll drop back heaps, but probably 5-6th. They'll get a harder draw, but they've still got a very solid team together and if they don't drop games to Carlton, Freo etc. like this season, then they should be there abouts.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Opinions were some what divided about how we’d recover from the prelim debacle. But I don’t think that was the reason we fell so far this year. Surely the players would draw on winning 2 home finals. The prelim was a disaster of course. You have to wonder how the straight sets ousting will impact the lions if at all. And losses at home. But going out the way they did would have to impact a group more than having 2 wins before a loss on the road to the eventual premiers.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Opinions were some what divided about how we’d recover from the prelim debacle. But I don’t think that was the reason we fell so far this year. Surely the players would draw on winning 2 home finals. The prelim was a disaster of course. You have to wonder how the straight sets ousting will impact the lions if at all. And losses at home. But going out the way they did would have to impact a group more than having 2 wins before a loss on the road to the eventual premiers.
I don't think it's important, the lions finished top 4 we finished 5th. The lions have a huge home ground advantage we don't.

The only thing I can see changing is their injury run

The Lions had a soft draw but they also beat a lot of decent sides at the ‘Gabba. That’ll hold them in good stead. We can’t play the ‘G until September apparently but they go well at home (even if not in finals). Also Fagan isn’t a drop kick like Goody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back