2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's interesting that you once (correctly) said that the 2017 preliminary crowd was extraordinary in general. Now you're saying the equivalent game on the weekend 'should be able to get at least 85k-90k' - so that's very close to the 2017 prelim crowd.

This is despite 2017 being Richmond's first home prelim for decades and Saturday night being Collingwood's seventh since 2002. By your own comments: either the 2017 crowd wasn't actually that extraordinary (because in less unusual circumstances you expect it to be almost replicated just 2 years later), or it was only extraordinary that Richmond got such a large crowd.

To be fair though, Richmond have drawn, what is, 90k plus to their last 8 finals? That in itself is unprecedented.

So in effect they were the first club to drive the 90k trend for Melbourne based finals

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
It's interesting that you once (correctly) said that the 2017 preliminary crowd was extraordinary in general. Now you're saying the equivalent game on the weekend 'should be able to get at least 85k-90k' - so that's very close to the 2017 prelim crowd.

This is despite 2017 being Richmond's first home prelim for decades and Saturday night being Collingwood's seventh since 2002. By your own comments: either the 2017 crowd wasn't actually that extraordinary (because in less unusual circumstances you expect it to be almost replicated just 2 years later), or it was only extraordinary that Richmond got such a large crowd.
The Richmond V GWS sold out in less than 24 hours and had over 90,000 people attend. Based on previous Finals, and Finals since it was Extraordinary.

But I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't happen again this weekend. Collingwood are a much bigger club, especially in the MCC and AFL members and this is only their 4th final in Melbourne in 6 seasons.

Richmond have played 6 90K sellouts (and 2 interstate sellouts) in the past 7 seasons. I don't buy the argument that Collingwood fans have Finals fatigue after 4 MCG finals in that time.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
To be fair though, Richmond have drawn, what is, 90k plus to their last 8 finals? That in itself is unprecedented.

So in effect they were the first club to drive the 90k trend for Melbourne based finals

Correct Hawkk, Richmond is the only club to do it twice achieve 90K+ over 4 finals. Currently, we are on 8 straight over 90K crowds and Friday that will be 9 finals with 95K expected and if we win (into a GF) that would jump to 10 straight finals over 90K. Pies have done it only once (4 over 90K), that was 2010 and by virtue of the draw and playing a 2nd GF.

This is the first year since 2011 that both Prelims have been in Melbourne so I wonder what effect that will have in the MCC and AFL areas that to some extent rely on neutrals showing up.

Ticket sales in the AFL Members today much slower than for the Coll/Geel QF. Surprised to find that most of the back of the top level is yet to be sold whereas the QF was sold out completely by now. There's still plenty of time to get the sell out but I am a little surprised.

Plenty of seats available to the public that were surprisingly not bought by the 150k members of the two clubs as well. I'm assuming these will go shortly, though.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The Richmond V GWS sold out in less than 24 hours and had over 90,000 people attend. Based on previous Finals, and Finals since it was Extraordinary.

But I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't happen again this weekend. Collingwood are a much bigger club, especially in the MCC and AFL members and this is only their 4th final in Melbourne in 6 seasons.

Richmond have played 6 90K sellouts (and 2 interstate sellouts) in the past 7 seasons. I don't buy the argument that Collingwood fans have Finals fatigue after 4 MCG finals in that time.

Spot on it was sold out very quickly and if any other club did that i would be saying the same as its not every day that a club can get about 95K against a low drawing club.

The key is not the AFL or MCC where pies have more members, it does get a helping hand though from non supporting GOLD members of the 2 competing clubs with good ticket pricing (silver members pay $156) so i would think if they don't follow either tiges or cats they are likely to give it a miss.

The public reserve which holds 56K this is where you need to sell it out to get over 90K. Richmond did it in 2017 sold it out completely and for pies to match 90K or 95K they need to sell out the public reserve. GWS lets face it will have about 2K. In 2017 GWS bought 1500 tickets so let's say there were be 2K of GWS fans, i don't think there will be more than 2K GWS fans by virtue that they travelled last week to Brissie and need to back it up again this Sat. Travel ain't cheap so i wouldn't blame some of their more passionate fans if they do not make the trip.

If Richmond were playing GWS this Sat i have no doubt we would push 90K again, with almost 104K members there's more than enough members to gobble up tickets. Anyway it's just an estimate 80K for pies V GWS hopefully pies fans keep buying tickets and push towards 90K

Last edited:

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This is the first year since 2011 that both Prelims have been in Melbourne so I wonder what effect that will have in the MCC and AFL areas that to some extent rely on neutrals showing up.

Ticket sales in the AFL Members today much slower than for the Coll/Geel QF. Surprised to find that most of the back of the top level is yet to be sold whereas the QF was sold out completely by now. There's still plenty of time to get the sell out but I am a little surprised.

Plenty of seats available to the public that were surprisingly not bought by the 150k members of the two clubs as well. I'm assuming these will go shortly, though.

Good point on both prelims, i haven't checked pies v gws but for tiges v cats only back rows currently available so by Friday im guessing it will be sold out in the AFL reserve.

I now just checked on public reserve for tiges v cats and they are going quick, many top categories only single seats. Most seats available seem to be at the city end but no doubt they will all go.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn

By and large, at least when Hawthorn competed, the AFL members sold out quicker in weeks 1 (and in 2015 week 2) then it did in week 3

It took longer but it eventually sold out.

I think that has to do with the significant price hike in AFL members / guest tickets in week 3 compared to weeks 1 and 2.

Perhaps this price hike detracts neutral AFL members and pushes Richmond, Collingwood and Geelong AFL members into the public reserve seats?

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Shockingly they haven’t sold a single seat in the AFL members to the Coll game. ;)

Haha with almost 12K AFL members pies fans will have no troubles selling it out. No problems for pies fans to get seats. I had no problems today getting great seats on level 2. Combined tiges and cats in the AFL reserve bout 9-10K. I did use 4 other barcodes from blues and hawks mates to buy extra tickets.

AstroboyUK

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2008
London / Delhi
AFL Club
Richmond
Correct Hawkk, Richmond is the only club to do it twice achieve 90K+ over 4 finals. Currently, we are on 8 straight over 90K crowds and Friday that will be 9 finals with 95K expected and if we win (into a GF) that would jump to 10 straight finals over 90K. Pies have done it only once (4 over 90K), that was 2010 and by virtue of the draw and playing a 2nd GF.

Honestly, at this time of year, the MCG just isn't big enough for modern football crowds/demand. There would have been probably close to 10 games recently that would have easily drawn 110-130k if there was capacity. In 2017 there were 40,000 sitting at Punt Road watching the 100,000 across the park. I'd guarantee every one of them would have attended if they could have got a ticket. Same for a large number of other finals and matches.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I really believe government/MCG trust should aspire to increase the MCG capacity by 25k by augmenting the GSS and adding capacity over the tunnels and between stands.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
As ridiculous as it sounds, I really believe government/MCG trust should aspire to increase the MCG capacity by 25k by augmenting the GSS and adding capacity over the tunnels and between stands.
[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen.How many times is the MCG full every year? Once GF day.

Honestly, at this time of year, the MCG just isn't big enough for modern football crowds/demand. There would have been probably close to 10 games recently that would have easily drawn 110-130k if there was capacity. In 2017 there were 40,000 sitting at Punt Road watching the 100,000 across the park. I'd guarantee every one of them would have attended if they could have got a ticket. Same for a large number of other finals and matches.

Grand Finals will always have more demand than supply, but although Friday night will end up being a huge crowd, anyone who wanted to buy a ticket today could have. There are still a reasonable number of seats available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cricket basketball tennis athletics

The same could be said for virtually every big European soccer club and all NFL stadiums. 100,000 is the right amount.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Grand Finals will always have more demand than supply, but although Friday night will end up being a huge crowd, anyone who wanted to buy a ticket today could have. There are still a reasonable number of seats available.

Could be a lingering issue if those seats remain unsold during the week.

In true form the AFL will drop the price of tickets towards the end of the week and nothing will come of it...

With inflated prices there really isn’t much benefit in purchasing category 4-7 tickets during the club members sale period

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Could be a lingering issue if those seats remain unsold during the week.

In true form the AFL will drop the price of tickets towards the end of the week and nothing will come of it...

With inflated prices there really isn’t much benefit in purchasing category 4-7 tickets during the club members sale period
Everything, including restricted view, is either sold out or down to single seat only. If you held off on purchasing your category 4-7 ticket you'll be watching from the couch

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

The only time I see it repeated is if Essendon manage to host a prelim.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only time I see it repeated is if Essendon manage to host a prelim.

But it’s not just PF’s it’s every final in Melbourne since 2013. Case in point...

2014 EF Essendon v North Melbourne - 78,561
2015 EF Richmond v North Melbourne - 90,186

They even drew 90,000 Plus to a Thursday Night Final, played in terrible conditions - 91,465 to the QF, 2018

No one touches Richmond when it comes to finals attendances, not even Essendon after 15 years in the wilderness.

It’s quite incredible given the strength of Essendon and Collingwood for home and away matches plus their national appeal

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
But it’s not just PF’s it’s every final in Melbourne since 2013. Case in point...

They even drew 90,000 Plus to a Thursday Night Final, played in terrible conditions - 91,465 to the QF, 2018

No one touches Richmond when it comes to finals attendances, not even Essendon after 15 years in the wilderness.

It’s quite incredible given the strength of Essendon and Collingwood for home and away matches plus their national appeal

Yeah, I don't know about that

The 2015 final was their second final in Melbourne in 15 years. Last years qual final was against the "5th" member of the big 4 as Richmond were storming their way towards back to a=back premierships. The Giants game was a massive effort but it was the first home prelim in 3 decades. The other two finals were against Collingwood and Carlton. They haven't actually played a semi final this century (often lowest drawing coming when the home team is coming off a loss)

There is simply not near enough a sample size to suggest Richmond have some disproportionately higehr finals attending support than their regular season numbers

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

The saga had a huge impact in 2014. Hird was suspended for a year. We only had 3 crowds above 60K for the season (ANZAC day and Dreamtime) and 1 above 75K (ANZAC day). We had no idea whether a win would be marred by suspensions the following year. We were also kicked out of finals the year before.

If we played against North this year, we'd get 90K+.

Also, remember that Richmond were a game from top 4 with a percentage of 123.

We haven't hosted a final since 2002. Our percentage hasn't been above 108 since 2003 and above 112 since 2001.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

How do Richmond fans get tickets in the AFL and MCC? As they are behind in numbers to Magpies, Blues and Bombers, eg 2017 Prelim every corner of the MCG was yellow and black.

How do Richmond fans get tickets in the AFL and MCC? As they are behind in numbers to Magpies, Blues and Bombers, eg 2017 Prelim every corner of the MCG was yellow and black.

They didn't, at least not to the extent that the myth insists on. Some would have used other people's barcodes etc but even if you double the number of Richmond AFL members that's still only half the number of seats available. I was there in the AFL Members and as usual for a PF or GF it was stacked with neutrals.

The thing is of course, neutrals aren't the ones shouting and cheering, nor are they dressed in a uniform colour scheme, so they don't stand out like the partisan fans.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
They didn't, at least not to the extent that the myth insists on. Some would have used other people's barcodes etc but even if you double the number of Richmond AFL members that's still only half the number of seats available. I was there in the AFL Members and as usual for a PF or GF it was stacked with neutrals.

The thing is of course, neutrals aren't the ones shouting and cheering, nor are they dressed in a uniform colour scheme, so they don't stand out like the partisan fans.
They also allowed guest passes to both of the MCG Finals in the AFL Members and Scalping was a huge problem that year.

Meli

#gotiges
Aug 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

😌

Remove this Banner Ad

Back