Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole ‘shoves down their faces’ thing though...

Looking at the AFL websitr right now, for example: the first thing that hits me when I load it is a bank advertisement that takes up about half the screen. There’s literally nothing about AFLW unless I click on the Womens tab

Or alternatively, when I go to the HS SuperCoach home page - I get 2 separate advertisements covering 1:3 of the page for gambling websites.

The SuperCoach Facebook page - I’m looking at it now, and I see: an advertisement for the ‘sacked’ podcast (nothing to do with SuperCoach), an article about some country footballer (nothing to do with SuperCoach), etc

No one gets triggered by articles about random country blokes or bank ads. Occasionally there’s a complaint about gambling, but not really - no one gets abusive or angry over it, just a lot of hand wringing.

And yet for some reason the AFLW is what is being ‘forced down our throats’.

Kinda funny all the campaigners whinging about women’s ball sports being “shoved down their throats”.. most of them are old enough to have lived through the age of the shoviest-down-throaty communications and media....

Wake up folks what do you think Rupert Murdoch has been doing to you for decades? What do you think the free to air television stations have been doing since the advent of tv? Junk mail every few days... all relatable content you want to read about?

At least AFL W is sports. It’s even the same code, same organisation and half the same sponsors. Same teams, same venues, same fans. Hell its strange how they could even put those two things on the same domain!! :drunk:

I agree with you, but I think it's the people that don't like it being shoved in their faces that make the most racket. For example, a SuperCoach facebook page constantly updates it's page with women related stuff when it's not really the platform to do so as it should be for statistical posts that are SC related.

It's also a separate organisation to the AFL, yet all the AFL media pages report on it.

Their should be specific women related pages for AFLW content and people who wish to see it follow it.

Good post.

I'm not a huge fan of women's sports. Watched the Matildas at the World Cup, watch a bit of the tennis majors, watch the Olympics etc. If you like it great, if you don't great. There are plenty of men's sports I'm not interested in watching either.

Shits me when I get a notification from the Cricket Australia app saying "shock Ashes selection" to find out that Meg Lanning isn't playing. It's not the Ashes. The Ashes is men's test cricket between England and Australia, with a history dating back to 1882. Also shits me when I look at the Perth Scorchers website to see the 2019/20 squad and they list a squad of 30-40 players and you have to filter it by gender. It's not one squad FFS, it's a men's squad and a women's squad. They play in two different competitions wearing the same colours.

WC are getting an AFLW side for the 2020 season (I think, could be 2021). Great, good luck to them. But I'm really not that interested in reading about it on the Eagles news feed. The WC Instagram page for example has 185k followers. The main reason they use that channel for AFLW stuff is because if there was a separate AFLW account it wouldn't have the same following. Perth Glory (A-League) has 35k followers, Perth Glory Women (W-League) has 5k.

All very minor stuff but the stategy is deliberately designed to make people look at women's sports who aren't looking for women's sports.

What Tayla Harris did was not a whole lot different to what Winmar did. It's the 2019 global connected version.

Called out those that marginalised or abused them based on their race/gender. One in the moment and the other on social media.

Um yes, yes it is.

Winmar took it in to his own hands and made a statement in the moment against the behaviour that really did put his safety at risk.

Harris was playing football, someone took a picture of her playing football and later on put it on the internet, some people were mean and vulgar, but most people were supportive and defended her.

Harris actually had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um yes, yes it is.

Winmar took it in to his own hands and made a statement in the moment against the behaviour that really did put his safety at risk.

Harris was playing football, someone took a picture of her playing football and later on put it on the internet, some people were mean and vulgar, but most people were supportive and defended her.

Harris actually had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Um well actually she did. She responded to the photo by saying it was a photo of her at work and people should respect that.

SHE called them out. She had A LOT to do with it. She took it in her own hands to respond and that is what caused the biggest noise. So you can um and ah all you want.

Good post.

I'm not a huge fan of women's sports. Watched the Matildas at the World Cup, watch a bit of the tennis majors, watch the Olympics etc. If you like it great, if you don't great. There are plenty of men's sports I'm not interested in watching either.

s**ts me when I get a notification from the Cricket Australia app saying "shock Ashes selection" to find out that Meg Lanning isn't playing. It's not the Ashes. The Ashes is men's test cricket between England and Australia, with a history dating back to 1882. Also s**ts me when I look at the Perth Scorchers website to see the 2019/20 squad and they list a squad of 30-40 players and you have to filter it by gender. It's not one squad FFS, it's a men's squad and a women's squad. They play in two different competitions wearing the same colours.

WC are getting an AFLW side for the 2020 season (I think, could be 2021). Great, good luck to them. But I'm really not that interested in reading about it on the Eagles news feed. The WC Instagram page for example has 185k followers. The main reason they use that channel for AFLW stuff is because if there was a separate AFLW account it wouldn't have the same following. Perth Glory (A-League) has 35k followers, Perth Glory Women (W-League) has 5k.

All very minor stuff but the stategy is deliberately designed to make people look at women's sports who aren't looking for women's sports.

Welcome to media and communications...

I have followed AFL football since I was sentient yet placed about 4 casual bets throughout my life.... yet every time I open an app or read a website I am bombarded with information about various gambling options that I may be intrigued by.

I enjoy watching premium drama content on showcase yet am constantly bombarded with Information regarding a new model Mazda despite not being in the market for an automobile.

At least AFL W is very closely related to the AFL, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to pair those two than it does to pair Game of Thrones with Mazda 3.

Rule changes I think would improve the game:
  • Remove the interchange cap and allow unlimited interchanges. Echoing what Scorpus said above, the game will be faster and the skills will improve if the players are less fatigued
  • Remove 6-6-6 and allow players to set up as they please
  • Re-introduce the 'third man up' rule. With TMU, players can knock the ball into wide open space to score, without it, ruckman just paddle it to their feet for another stoppage over and over again
  • Adjust the 'contact below the knees' rule to only pay a free kick when the umpire deems the slide to be one to deliberately cause injury or is dangerous, rather than simply going for the ball. Too often players are fairly fighting for the ball and a free kick is paid

Other thing that gets up my goat about congestion is that the bloody waiting for rucks to nominate and get to the contest is half the problem!

Lumbering rucks 40 meters away calls out and runs to the contest as the nominated ruck. Ump waits. Meanwhile mids forwards defenders swarm too.

Throw it up and let the game go on, instead they change rules to fix issues that the previous ******* rule changes caused.

She got some very poor advice. And the statue looks s**thouse.
it says so much about this young girl that she has gone along with this.
this is up there with the narrative of Moe Hope being a "Star of AWFL"before she had played 1 game in the competition.

"photo of girl receives negative comments on social media" news flash!! nothing new here.
why does some unknown female footballer become worthy of having a statue compared to the likes of Matthews and Bartlett?

it says so much about this young girl that she has gone along with this.
this is up there with the narrative of Moe Hope being a "Star of AWFL"before she had played 1 game in the competition.

"photo of girl receives negative comments on social media" news flash!! nothing new here.
why does some unknown female footballer become worthy of having a statue compared to the likes of Matthews and Bartlett?

The name really has nothing to do with it. It represents something bigger than the name. Should’ve been a statue without a face in the same pose. Would’ve stopped a lot of whingers in their tracks.

You’ve outlined perfectly why the statue was commissioned.
The statue is about acknowledging the fact that “photo of girl receives negative comments on social media” is considered to be “nothing new here”.

It represents the moment when society had just a little peek at itself (definitely not a hard look thats for sure) and considered the possibility that maybe this is an issue that we should be dealing with rather than saying “nothing new here, move along.”

Because a private company chose to pay for some art with their own money

And privately display it in the private Fed Square?

There is no official word on where the statue will be permanently based.

Perhaps you can petition the Victorian government to base it as far away from you as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no official word on where the statue will be permanently based.

Perhaps you can petition the Victorian government to base it as far away from you as possible.

Why do the Victorian govt need to be involved? Isn't a privately funded statue? Did NAB gift it to the state of Victoria?

Why do the Victorian govt need to be involved? Isn't a privately funded statue? Did NAB gift it to the state of Victoria?

Don't know or care - doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does you.

Players should not be suspended during finals. For anything. Ever. Usually.

If they accrue suspensions during the finals, those should be served at the start of the next season (and perhaps doubled in length or something similar).

Edit: Maybe not never never, but almost never. That is, only if it results in serious injury (i.e. anything that would normally cause the injured player to miss a game/games because of their injury.)

Last edited:
Players should not be suspended during finals. For anything. Ever.

If they accrue suspensions during the finals, those should be served at the start of the next season (and perhaps doubled in length or something similar).
So, hypothetically, a player goes out and literally king hits another player off the ball with clear vision in a prelim.

He should be allowed to play the next week?

So, hypothetically, a player goes out and literally king hits another player off the ball with clear vision in a prelim.

He should be allowed to play the next week?
Maybe not if the victim is seriously hurt. But for anything less than a four-week ban or so, they should be allowed to play finals. As for "no suspensions during finals", I'm mainly talking about players getting banned for trivial stuff like what Toby Greene and Hawkins did last week.
Besides, that's the whole point of unpopular opinions, isn't it?

Last edited:
Maybe not if the victim is seriously hurt. But for anything less than a four-week ban or so, they should be allowed to play finals. As for "no suspensions during finals", I'm mainly talking about players getting banned for trivial stuff like what Toby Greene and Hawkins did last week.
Besides, that's the whole point of unpopular opinions, isn't it?

Why should the rules not apply during finals? Hate this argument.

Players should not be suspended during finals. For anything. Ever.

Edit: Maybe not never never, but almost never. That is, only if it results in serious injury.

Means you could get a bloke like Luke Hodge who is a hugely competitive beast and plays hard, retiring so no worry about next season, with no chance of missing the grand final all finals series, and no concern re: financial penalties, just play full thug in an attempt to win.

At least the current way it's only 1 game for those kinds of blokes and there's no way to police the potential for another Lynch short of a red card (the most ideal time for one to be used).

Who determines if it's a 'serious' injury? A 1 weeker concussion? A 0 weeker broken nose? A 4 weeker broken jaw?

That heavy beer should be available at all games, just not sections of the ground and times of the day.

The AFL should not sell memberships that compete with the clubs.

The MCC should be compelled to change their ways to fill the stadium to the max more often.

MCG turf does not win finals.

I know this will upset a lot of people but as I have said many times in the last 10 years, North should be forced to relocate to Tasmania. This would make the AFL a truly national game. North do not have enough supporters and will never be able to stand on their own 2 feet. Once they are entrenched in Tasmania they potentially could become a powerhouse with over 75,000 members.

I know this will upset a lot of people but as I have said many times in the last 10 years, North should be forced to relocate to Tasmania. This would make the AFL a truly national game. North do not have enough supporters and will never be able to stand on their own 2 feet. Once they are entrenched in Tasmania they potentially could become a powerhouse with over 75,000 members.
Tasmanian's won't support a relocated club. If you're going to have a team in Tasmania, it needs to be its own club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back