Toast Vale Danny Frawley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are there any details on the funeral.
Thanks mate. Any idea what time?
Thousands of St Kilda supporters, football lovers and members of the public will be welcomed to RSEA Park, Moorabbin on Wednesday afternoon to say goodbye to St Kilda champion Danny Frawley.

Giant screens will live-stream a private funeral service which is being conducted at the Moorabbin Town Hall from 3pm.

Parking in the vicinity of RSEA Park will be extremely limited, so attendees are encouraged to travel via public transport.

Those attending are also encouraged to bring a picnic blanket as the screens will be positioned on the playing surface.

Once the private funeral service has concluded, Frawley’s hearse will make its way to RSEA Park to complete a lap of honour.

At the request of the family, attendees are encouraged to make a donation to Beyond Blue rather than paying their respects through flowers and cards.

Sep 15, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
For those who haven't read.

On Monday, the love of my life was tragically taken from my girls and I.

Many have speculated on the cause and lead up to this tragedy. Danny, as a champion of mental health would want me to continue his legacy and be open with the public of the events leading up to this heartbreak.

While the circumstances of the event are unconfirmed and will remain uncertain until the investigations are complete, it was true that Danny’s mental health had deteriorated in recent weeks.

As is widely known, Danny had experienced and lived with depression dating back a number of years. But to his credit, he had put up his hand and accepted psychiatric treatment, counselling and medication. He recovered and returned to being the Danny of old.

The road leading up to last Monday’s events began 8 months ago when Danny made the decision to take himself off his prescribed medication. At this point Danny felt invincible, like the true competitor and proud man that he was; he felt that he had beaten the disease. In fact, he felt bullet proof, which contributed to his decision to remove himself from his support network including his psychiatric care and not continuing to work with his team of mental health professionals.

The reason I am making this public is that I want this to be a reminder to all those grappling with mental health conditions and to those whom have made progress with their wellbeing that you should always seek help from professionals when considering making decisions surrounding your mental health, even when you feel as though you have fully recovered.

Our final memory of Danny is one we will cherish forever, a night spent sitting around our family table, playing board games and laughing on his 56th birthday. He will never be forgotten and will forever be in our hearts.

I would like to leave everyone with this quote from Danny, “manning up in the past was to suffer in silence, manning up now is to put your hand up.”

We invite all those who would like to farewell our remarkable man to join us at RSEA Park - St Kilda Football Club, 32/60 Linton St, Moorabbin, VIC, 3189 at 3pm on Wednesday the 18th of September.

We will be wearing a touch of blue in memory of Danny and for the significance of beyondblue, PukaUp and One In Five. To show your condolences, we ask that you please donate to beyondblue in honour of Danny.

If you or someone you know needs support, help is available:
• Lifeline 13 11 14
• Mensline Australia Line 1300 789 978
• Kids Help 1800 55 1800
• Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467

Danny, you were the love of my life and will continue to be until our paths cross again. Since Monday, there has been a gaping hole in our family which will never be repaired. The girls and I are finding it difficult to accept you are gone and our lives as we knew them will never be the same. We miss you. We will always miss you. Anita xx

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
The statement from Anita Frawley is absolutely heartbreaking.

Danny took himself off medication and away from his mental health support group 8 months ago as he thought he had beaten the illness.

This has been so unnecessary. Shattered all over again.

Wow. I reread his interview in the Herald Sun from I think 2017, and in it he makes mention of the medication saying that he felt he probably didn’t need it but he was continuing to take it anyway.

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
I know it has little to do with this, but my grandmother did exactly the same thing with her blood thinning medication (turned out she was early-mid Alzheimers) and had a stroke. A second one about two months later was what killed her. She thought she didn't need it any more.

Medical professionals don't go through seven years of intense training, learning and practical experience just so they can drive an Audi (although it is undoubtedly a perk). They know best. Do what they tell you to do.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Wow. I reread his interview in the Herald Sun from I think 2017, and in it he makes mention of the medication saying that he felt he probably didn’t need it but he was continuing to take it anyway.
Dont want to sound trite, and all illnesses are different but symptom free doesn't necessarily mean cure.

I have a hiatus hernia and have one pill every morning. Been symptom free for 20 years. Miss one though and I get pretty bad reflux.

Anyone out there in the same boat as Danny. Please listen to the experts. There is no shame in medication be it physical or mental issues.

I'm with Chief on this. Hate this campaigner of an illness.

The problem with medication when you are on it is that you have no idea on how you would be feeling if you stopped taking it . I have been on anti depressants for about 8 years and ive been told by my shrink that i will be on them for the rest of my life . He said once you drop to a level where you need medication to help stay alive then no matter how well you think you are feeling you should never stop taking them . Im actually at a stage where i think i need to increase my meds because more and more im having those suicidal thoughts i have had before . Unfortunately both my shrink and my doctor are away for another couple of months which leaves me in an awkward situation . Yes i could go to another doctor but thats not as easy as it sounds . I cant just go up to a doctor i dont know and open up about how im feeling and my history . It took me about 20 years before i finally opened up to my current doctor . Talking to a strange person about mental issues is very hard , almost impossible in my view . Some people can do it but i certainately cant . The other issue is because i have attempted suicide before with pills , twice , they will not give me an increase unless my shrink oks it . When i get a script i only get enough for two weeks and then i have to go back to the chemist .

So a few weeks ago i had an issue with a few people on this site which made me leave , but i calmed down and came back . What was said shouldnt have got to me like it did , ive had worse on here as we all have at some stage , but with my mental issues im going through currently i just lost it . To be honest it nearly did push me over the edge , it was only due to my caring wife and my friendship with Rabbit58 which saved me . It does show to everyone that you do have to be careful with what you say and how you say it . Because we dont really know each other and we dont know what someones mental state is . This is something that had never occured to me before but hit me like a ton of bricks during that exchange .

So the next time you get in an arguement on here remember that what you say might be the final straw for someone . There is nothing wrong with arguing about an issue but too many times ive seen people start to get personal which is just not on . Remember you might be fine but the other person might not .

Im not saying you should be scared to argue a point with me , im fine with that , i argue with people as much as anyone , but lets leave out the personal attacks , the put downs , and if you cant find common ground then just agree to disagree .

If my back allows im going to try get down to Moorabbin for Dannys memorial . As for what my future holds , well i cant promise anything . For people with mental issues like me its always a day by day situation .

I dont like talking about all this on here as it is a very hard thing to admit to. Now of course i will be worried that people might judge me or be even scared to interact with me . I have talked about my mental issues once before but that was on a thread where a few others also spoke up and probably not many people read it . I will probably regret writing all this by tonight. Its just that when someone you know of does commit suicide and its all over the web and the news then its a constant reminder how close i came before and how long before i try again .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem with medication when you are on it is that you have no idea on how you would be feeling if you stopped taking it . I have been on anti depressants for about 8 years and ive been told by my shrink that i will be on them for the rest of my life . He said once you drop to a level where you need medication to help stay alive then no matter how well you think you are feeling you should never stop taking them . Im actually at a stage where i think i need to increase my meds because more and more im having those suicidal thoughts i have had before . Unfortunately both my shrink and my doctor are away for another couple of months which leaves me in an awkward situation . Yes i could go to another doctor but thats not as easy as it sounds . I cant just go up to a doctor i dont know and open up about how im feeling and my history . It took me about 20 years before i finally opened up to my current doctor . Talking to a strange person about mental issues is very hard , almost impossible in my view . Some people can do it but i certainately cant . The other issue is because i have attempted suicide before with pills , twice , they will not give me an increase unless my shrink oks it . When i get a script i only get enough for two weeks and then i have to go back to the chemist .

So a few weeks ago i had an issue with a few people on this site which made me leave , but i calmed down and came back . What was said shouldnt have got to me like it did , ive had worse on here as we all have at some stage , but with my mental issues im going through currently i just lost it . To be honest it nearly did push me over the edge , it was only due to my caring wife and my friendship with Rabbit58 which saved me . It does show to everyone that you do have to be careful with what you say and how you say it . Because we dont really know each other and we dont know what someones mental state is . This is something that had never occured to me before but hit me like a ton of bricks during that exchange .

So the next time you get in an arguement on here remember that what you say might be the final straw for someone . There is nothing wrong with arguing about an issue but too many times ive seen people start to get personal which is just not on . Remember you might be fine but the other person might not .

Im not saying you should be scared to argue a point with me , im fine with that , i argue with people as much as anyone , but lets leave out the personal attacks , the put downs , and if you cant find common ground then just agree to disagree .

If my back allows im going to try get down to Moorabbin for Dannys memorial . As for what my future holds , well i cant promise anything . For people with mental issues like me its always a day by day situation .

I dont like talking about all this on here as it is a very hard thing to admit to. Now of course i will be worried that people might judge me or be even scared to interact with me . I have talked about my mental issues once before but that was on a thread where a few others also spoke up and probably not many people read it . I will probably regret writing all this by tonight. Its just that when someone you know of does commit suicide and its all over the web and the news then its a constant reminder how close i came before and how long before i try again .

Thank you for being so open... we can all practice treating people with a little more respect and kindness - whether that be on a forum or in real life. If Danny has any legacy, bigger than what he has left us all at our club - is to be open about mental health, another is how to treat people. Of all the stories one thing shone through, he always had time for people.

On your thoughts, keep talking - talk to your wife, friends and when you need to - on here. :)

For those who haven't read.

On Monday, the love of my life was tragically taken from my girls and I.

Many have speculated on the cause and lead up to this tragedy. Danny, as a champion of mental health would want me to continue his legacy and be open with the public of the events leading up to this heartbreak.

While the circumstances of the event are unconfirmed and will remain uncertain until the investigations are complete, it was true that Danny’s mental health had deteriorated in recent weeks.

As is widely known, Danny had experienced and lived with depression dating back a number of years. But to his credit, he had put up his hand and accepted psychiatric treatment, counselling and medication. He recovered and returned to being the Danny of old.

The road leading up to last Monday’s events began 8 months ago when Danny made the decision to take himself off his prescribed medication. At this point Danny felt invincible, like the true competitor and proud man that he was; he felt that he had beaten the disease. In fact, he felt bullet proof, which contributed to his decision to remove himself from his support network including his psychiatric care and not continuing to work with his team of mental health professionals.

The reason I am making this public is that I want this to be a reminder to all those grappling with mental health conditions and to those whom have made progress with their wellbeing that you should always seek help from professionals when considering making decisions surrounding your mental health, even when you feel as though you have fully recovered.

Our final memory of Danny is one we will cherish forever, a night spent sitting around our family table, playing board games and laughing on his 56th birthday. He will never be forgotten and will forever be in our hearts.

I would like to leave everyone with this quote from Danny, “manning up in the past was to suffer in silence, manning up now is to put your hand up.”

We invite all those who would like to farewell our remarkable man to join us at RSEA Park - St Kilda Football Club, 32/60 Linton St, Moorabbin, VIC, 3189 at 3pm on Wednesday the 18th of September.

We will be wearing a touch of blue in memory of Danny and for the significance of beyondblue, PukaUp and One In Five. To show your condolences, we ask that you please donate to beyondblue in honour of Danny.

If you or someone you know needs support, help is available:
• Lifeline 13 11 14
• Mensline Australia Line 1300 789 978
• Kids Help 1800 55 1800
• Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467

Danny, you were the love of my life and will continue to be until our paths cross again. Since Monday, there has been a gaping hole in our family which will never be repaired. The girls and I are finding it difficult to accept you are gone and our lives as we knew them will never be the same. We miss you. We will always miss you. Anita xx

His poor family.
Just so heartbreaking.

The link to donate to beyond blue: https://donation.beyondblue.org.au/donate

322c57f21d0737e6543ac29dc7ffcbea.jpg

Xxxx66

All Australian
Jul 14, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

Well done on sharing your story, I think half the problem could be a lack of understanding, from sufferers and those that dont always think before they speak (or type). I dont claim to be an expert on mental health, but I wonder whether we live in a world where too much emphasis is placed on other peoples expectations and opinions of us, or even our own expectations on what we should or shouldnt have done. Seems living a simple life, focussing on the simple things that matter can give people peace of mind

Will be at the funeral on Wednesday for those going if you'd like to say g'day and have a beer at the cafe at the club.

Clocking off at 1pm from work, should be at the ground for 2pm before it kicks off at 3.

Sad day indeed...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am going down to Moorabbin today for Danny . If you see me say hi . Here is a photo from a couple years ago but i look pretty much the same except a little less hair on top lol.

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 260
I am going down to Moorabbin today for Danny . If you see me say hi . Here is a photo from a couple years ago but i look pretty much the same except a little less hair on top lol.

Wish i could go.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately i can't be there today. Rest in peace Spud.

I hope Anita and the girls draw strength from the greater Saints family today.

Anita's words were amazingly brave and caring but equally heartbreaking.

RIP

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
which Is the best avenue for the live stream. ive got all my work done so I can pay respects to the great man.
RIP SPUD

Thinking of you today Spud, even though i cant be there, i can only send your family my deepest sympathy today.

I will miss your smiling face, your laughter and jokes.

May you Rest in Peace Big Fella

Remove this Banner Ad

Back