Ok what the hell is going on with Starc

Remove this Banner Ad

He bowled well in one innings, lets to over exaggerate his performance, and in that innings he was poor for half of it- was good on the second part of the first innings. In many ways that match typified Starc. We really missed Jhye Richardson badly.

Was really really looking forward to Jhye Richardson bowling over there, such a shame. Still think Starc would have been more threatening than Siddle.

Was really really looking forward to Jhye Richardson bowling over there, such a shame. Still think Starc would have been more threatening than Siddle.

The mistake was not playing Pattinson more than 2 tests

Never come across the word 'probably' before? I based that assertion on the fact that in his last innings he batted better than I've ever seen him bat before and they weren't able to get him out despite him swinging the bat. His average in England (29) is also higher than his overall average. It's obvious we won't see eye to eye on this though. Just like we won't agree on your 'I dare say ...' comment, which I totally reject.

Above stokes in the icc batting rankings

Last three years has been very good and don't really warrant the calls for his demotion from the test team from the likes of Warne.

Mitchell Starc
1641463898861.png

He doesn't match with the very best all rounders like Sobers or Kallis, but his averages (over the last three years) with bat and ball are comparable to these wonderful all rounders.

Richard Hadlee
1641464029916.png

Kapil Dev
1641464089576.png

Imran Khan
1641464158647.png

Ian Botham
1641464220531.png

A few times in the last couple of years he has been left stranded so perhaps it's time to promote him up the order, definitely ahead of Cummins, but I would consider his position in relation to Green as well. Perhaps Carey goes up to six, Starc seven and Green eight. At least until Green gains some confidence with the bat and begins to cash in on the promise he has shown at Shield level.

The aim for Starc now is to continue to improve with bat and ball because he has shown he has the talent to finish with career averages comparable to the four great all rounders listed above. And many more.

More than happy to see Starc even go above Carey at this stage. Looks rock solid. Give him a crack in a dead rubber, what have we got to lose?
I see this type of thing suggested often when the tail make runs but it’s flawed logic IMO. Pushing them up the order increases pressure and expectation and often leads them to fail. What’s working is working and I’d leave him where he is (maybe push him above Cummins, sure).

Last three years has been very good and don't really warrant the calls for his demotion from the test team from the likes of Warne.

Mitchell Starc
View attachment 1306830

He doesn't match with the very best all rounders like Sobers or Kallis, but his averages (over the last three years) with bat and ball are comparable to these wonderful all rounders.

Richard Hadlee
View attachment 1306831

Kapil Dev
View attachment 1306832

Imran Khan
View attachment 1306833

Ian Botham
View attachment 1306834

A few times in the last couple of years he has been left stranded so perhaps it's time to promote him up the order, definitely ahead of Cummins, but I would consider his position in relation to Green as well. Perhaps Carey goes up to six, Starc seven and Green eight. At least until Green gains some confidence with the bat and begins to cash in on the promise he has shown at Shield level.

The aim for Starc now is to continue to improve with bat and ball because he has shown he has the talent to finish with career averages comparable to the four great all rounders listed above. And many more.

interesting comparisons to those greats in the past, however starc's sample size at that same rate is small and with a highest score of 54*.

starc is nothing better than a number 8. he's having a good run at the moment and a few not outs have assisted him. i have no issues if he bats ahead of cummins, but that's it.
the runs he gives us are bonus and on occasions he's come in at a time, where a declaration is coming and he can throw his bat etc which appears to suit his style.
end of the day, the minute you start paying these guys to make runs, it tends to be a different story. he will be lucky to play another 10-20 tests in his career.

he's comparable to (or a little better than) reiffel, johnson, pattinson, harris, lee, warne and gillespie in the batting stakes (all handy #8's).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interesting comparisons to those greats in the past, however starc's sample size at that same rate is small and with a highest score of 54*.

starc is nothing better than a number 8. he's having a good run at the moment and a few not outs have assisted him. i have no issues if he bats ahead of cummins, but that's it.
the runs he gives us are bonus and on occasions he's come in at a time, where a declaration is coming and he can throw his bat etc which appears to suit his style.
end of the day, the minute you start paying these guys to make runs, it tends to be a different story. he will be lucky to play another 10-20 tests in his career.

he's comparable to (or a little better than) reiffel, johnson, pattinson, harris, lee, warne and gillespie in the batting stakes (all handy #8's).
I never get this logic. Surely if you are 30* you would be more chance of getting to 60 in your current innings if you were allowed to bat until its completion than getting to 30 again in your next innings? The not out means your average doesn't go down sure but like so it shouldn't? You haven't been dismissed.

There's barely been a batsman in history whose chances of being dismissed each ball increase the further into the innings they are.

I'm not sure if I can articulate exactly what I'm trying to say so let me know if that doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure if I can articulate exactly what I'm trying to say so let me know if that doesn't make sense.
Certainly makes sense that a not out can rob a batsmen of momentum. Particularly for tailenders, who even the best only get some sort of momentum every third(ish) trip to the crease.

Can depend on circumstances a bit. A number of 8 who gets a handful of dinky 10 to 15 not out's as the rest of the tail gets rolled will give your average a bonus run or two. But powering to 47 only to run out of partner's certainly means you've probably been robbed of some decent runs. I would imagine for most batsmen, the two scenarios even themselves out over time.

Has bowled mostly pies this World Cup. We need to move on from him in multiple formats.

100%.

I'd love a bit of credit from the board for calling this out back during the Ashes - and backing my opinion with money.

Him and J.Hazlewood are barely state standard at the moment. They are finished at this level.

It is almost at the stage now where we need to lose to Bangladesh for the benefit of Australian cricket in the future.

A combination of old age, no challenge from the selectors, and questionable tactics. That said, the totals seem to be higher this world cup, outside of India there isn't many pacers who haven't gone for a pile of runs. Batting tactics have changed too since teams would block out Glenn McGrath.

It is indeed the highest scoring world cup on record, although I must admit not as high scoring as I had thought.

31.9 runs per wicket, strike rate 92.

The last world cup was 31.5 and 88.

But it has been quite a bit tougher for pace bowlers, conceding 32 runs per wicket at 6.06 runs per over. That's an increase from 30.2 and 5.5 in 2019.

It is indeed the highest scoring world cup on record, although I must admit not as high scoring as I had thought.

31.9 runs per wicket, strike rate 92.

The last world cup was 31.5 and 88.

But it has been quite a bit tougher for pace bowlers, conceding 32 runs per wicket at 6.06 runs per over. That's an increase from 30.2 and 5.5 in 2019.

What's 2015's stats? That world cup was road city.

What's 2015's stats? That world cup was road city.
31.1 runs per wicket, S/R 88
Pace bowlers 30.4 runs per wicket, 5.6 RPO

For modern world cups, the big leap was from 2011 to 2015, which unsurprisingly coincided with the huge boom of T20.

screenshot-stats.espncricinfo.com-2023.11.08-14_42_00.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back