2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Only an idiot would think the match was a dead rubber, ESPECIALLY with the new Test Championship points up for grabs.
Only an idiot would post as much s**t about Wade as you did last night.

Don’t bother responding.

Some stats on Steve Smith's past 2 Ashes series (2017/18 and 2019).

He has amassed 1461 runs in 14 innings, at an average of 121.75.

This has included 6 centuries (2 of which were doubles); and 5 half centuries.

He also notched up 10 consecutive scores of 50+ (which, in fact, were 10 consecutive scores of greater than 75, the lowest score in that sequence being the 76 he scored in the first innings of the MCG Test in 2017/18).

What's more, in both series, he scored crucial runs when the Ashes was on the line. His 2017/18 Ashes will go down in folklore, and his 2019 Ashes will be remembered even more fondly. He has left an indelible mark on Ashes Cricket.

Has been a privalege to watch.

Yeah - disappointing way to finish. There was a definite ming of "Job Done" about the team, regardless of the noises coming out of their booze holes.

Combined best of teams are silly and at best highly subjective (in a Dangerfield selected on the half forward flank kinda way), but has any recent series thrown up as many "by default" selections?

The retaining is nice and all, it's just the manner in which we wasted so many chances to seal a famous series victory really annoys me.
There were
  • dropped catches (yes these happen in every series but we dropped plenty of sitters at crucial times in the match. I suppose England did as well).
  • annoying selection moves:
    • dropping Khawaja when he wasn't looking that bad but sticking with Warner all series
    • ditching Bancroft for Harris two tests in when Bancroft had at least shown some graft and had taken several half chances in the field. Harris ended up in the negatives in terms of runs scored vs runs conceded after drops.
    • not even picking Burns in the squad
    • never really allowing the third seamer to get any rhythm in the series
    • weakening our already weak batting lineup in a match we only needed to draw
  • incredibly naive captaincy:
    • couldn't believe how badly we handled the situations where an English batsmen was left with the tail. Headingly was the worst of it, but then there was next to no indication we even learnt from that horrorshow in the next two tests.
    • the almost impossibly bad use of the review system. Yes the umpiring was horrendous and burnt us at crucial times, but we left ourselves exposed or didn't use the reviews when we should have, particularly in the field. Paine seemed to think of them as a chance to "have a dabble", but then also spooked himself out of reviewing plumb out decisions.
    • choosing to bowl first without any apparent justification. This one I just don't get at all, even if you are not a good captain surely you are aware of the need to bat first if possible in any circumstance unless it is ridiculously in favour of the bowlers. Let alone the mitigating circumstances of already tired bowlers and the series situation only requiring us to draw the test. Paine should never live that down, the most braindead captaincy decision I can recall in cricket and confirmed to me that the tactically the bloke does not have a clue.
We were outplayed in the last test anyway, but boy did we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Pretty much will always remember this series as a painful missed opportunity rather than the success it should have been.

Did you watch that game?
I didn't just watch it, I put a small bet on England when they were at 17s, spent the night drinking and asking myself why I didn't put more on it, Aus were always a huge chance to bottle that one. For the record, I made a similar bet towards the end of the 4th Test and lost my dough.

Drawn series is a fitting result for these two teams, both have strong bowling attacks, s**t batting lineups which were carried by 1 batsman. Smith is obviously on a level above everyone else.

Think the selectors are copping a bit of unnecessary flack, none of their decisions were terrible, dropping Head for Marsh was potentially a disaster, but proved a masterstroke. Wade the luckiest man alive not only surviving the chop over Head, but getting some junk runs when the game was lost to secure his spot for another series.

Siddle's career is over, but it would have been anyway, he deserved his spot in the side. Harris could have been dropped, but what was the point of dropping him for Bancroft who had already been dropped for being worse? I'm sure Harris will go back to plundering Shield attacks this summer and we'll see if he gets another shot.

It was probably a great series to miss out for the batsmen who didn't play as Labuschagne is really the only player who improved his standing and Wade probably earnt another shot, otherwise Harris, Warner, Head, Khawaja and Bancroft hurt their future prospects whilst the likes of Burns and Renshaw became superstars!

Lyon was pretty disappointing and was outbowled by Leach in the 4 tests both of them played, which is quite funny given the posts on here about Leach being the worst player to ever represent England...

Not winning back the urn is s**t, but we'll move on, see if Australian fans still think this was a dead rubber if they miss out on the final by less than a game...

Warner is looking for a holiday. Smith is wandering around the desert of desire... Matty Wade is crying for a second chance...
The bowlers are driving a bus which leads all to handle a rumble cart... they can get it done but they get it done slowly...

I didn't just watch it, I put a small bet on England when they were at 17s, spent the night drinking and asking myself why I didn't put more on it, Aus were always a huge chance to bottle that one. For the record, I made a similar bet towards the end of the 4th Test and lost my dough.

And who do you think performed better over the course of that game?

Not winning back the urn is s**t, but we'll move on, see if Australian fans still think this was a dead rubber if they miss out on the final by less than a game...

Most of the posts in this thread have been pretty scathing about the way Australia treated this test, I don’t think any of the Aussie fans treated this as a dead rubber as much as the team did.

Most of the posts in this thread have been pretty scathing about the way Australia treated this test, I don’t think any of the Aussie fans treated this as a dead rubber as much as the team did.

There were still quite a number saying England shouldn't celebrate winning a dead rubber, wickets or runs in the last test meant nothing as its a dead rubber, no one cares because we retained the Urn.

Its like the call at the toss, whilst it was a bad call, there were still plenty defending it, although it was probably just Tasmanians...

It wasn't a dead rubber but just a short changed hand over from a lazy captain who saw nothing but rumble in the jungle..
Smith was the rank outside favourite and yet got tossed in to a line and length battle..

He knows he is good...

There were still quite a number saying England shouldn't celebrate winning a dead rubber, wickets or runs in the last test meant nothing as its a dead rubber, no one cares because we retained the Urn.

Its like the call at the toss, whilst it was a bad call, there were still plenty defending it, although it was probably just Tasmanians...
zip; cornucópia.. as for celebrating losses and dead rubbers.. it was one smashing ashes series and the poms should be happy at their performance...
no thing like a dead duck and a dead rubber.. there is going to be a small smattering of gamesmanship..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it’s all over. What an awesome, intriguing, nail-biting frustrating Ashes series. We got to see the genius of Smith in all his glory. The next great white hope in Labuschagne starting up hopefully many enjoyable years of Test cricket. Cummins showing some beautiful fast bowling. A lot of disappointing performances from various players need not be named. Stokes being an absolute thorn in our side, stopping us from taking the series more decisively. Broad completely owning Warner, Archer turning it on but only when it suited him. Can’t wait for the return leg next summer!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think the selectors are copping a bit of unnecessary flack, none of their decisions were terrible, dropping Head for Marsh was potentially a disaster, but proved a masterstroke. Wade the luckiest man alive not only surviving the chop over Head, but getting some junk runs when the game was lost to secure his spot for another series.

Siddle's career is over, but it would have been anyway, he deserved his spot in the side.

You just say anything that comes into your head don't you?

Some stats on Steve Smith's past 2 Ashes series (2017/18 and 2019).

He has amassed 1461 runs in 14 innings, at an average of 121.75.

This has included 6 centuries (2 of which were doubles); and 5 half centuries.

He also notched up 10 consecutive scores of 50+ (which, in fact, were 10 consecutive scores of greater than 75, the lowest score in that sequence being the 76 he scored in the first innings of the MCG Test in 2017/18).

What's more, in both series, he scored crucial runs when the Ashes was on the line. His 2017/18 Ashes will go down in folklore, and his 2019 Ashes will be remembered even more fondly. He has left an indelible mark on Ashes Cricket.

Has been a privalege to watch.

It's funny, I never used to like watching him just cause of his fidgeting and unorthodox technique. Now I can't get enough of it. He's a genius and watching him bat is a treat.

Yeah - disappointing way to finish. There was a definite ming of "Job Done" about the team, regardless of the noises coming out of their booze holes.

Combined best of teams are silly and at best highly subjective (in a Dangerfield selected on the half forward flank kinda way), but has any recent series thrown up as many "by default" selections?

It’s funny, who would open in this team?
Burns, probably Denly.
Only smith, stokes, broad and Cummins are assured of spots, with Labuschagne probably next

It’s funny, who would open in this team?
Burns, probably Denly.
Only smith, stokes, broad and Cummins are assured of spots, with Labuschagne probably next

The best 4 bowlers of the series were Cummins Broad Archer Hazlewood, comfortably.

Burns and Denly are also assured of spots as clearly the best 2 openers of the series.

Burns
Denly
Labus
Smith
Stokes
?
?
Cummins
Archer
Broad
Hazlewood

Sorry but the contest is to win the series.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We couldn't win the ashes this time we could retain the ashes and win the test series.

It was an ashes dead rubber because no result had any impact on who holds the ashes but a test series live rubber.

It was a still a very important contest no matter what, a chance to win a big away series for the first time in years and we looked hungover and played like it, that this side who have achieved so very little in recent years was so smug while a test series was still there to be won is a real worry and reflects poorly on the leadership and the other senior men in the side.

Drawn series is a fitting result for these two teams, both have strong bowling attacks, s**t batting lineups which were carried by 1 batsman. Smith is obviously on a level above everyone else.

Siddle's career is over, but it would have been anyway, he deserved his spot in the side. Harris could have been dropped, but what was the point of dropping him for Bancroft who had already been dropped for being worse? I'm sure Harris will go back to plundering Shield attacks this summer and we'll see if he gets another shot.

It was probably a great series to miss out for the batsmen who didn't play as Labuschagne is really the only player who improved his standing and Wade probably earnt another shot, otherwise Harris, Warner, Head, Khawaja and Bancroft hurt their future prospects whilst the likes of Burns and Renshaw became superstars!

Lyon was pretty disappointing and was outbowled by Leach in the 4 tests both of them played, which is quite funny given the posts on here about Leach being the worst player to ever represent England...

If we miss out on the final I think more anger would be directed at Wilson’s wrong decision

By what measure :think:

Anyway, a fantastic summer right through the World Cup through to an intriguing Ashes series will miss having the cricket to tune into each night in the background. As expected both teams were flawed, but some brilliant individual performances amongst it. One thing some of the analysts have noted on is the presence of resilience in this series which has been lacking (especially by the touring side) in Ashes past. Sides and individuals have bounced back and had some reward for sticking at it over the course.

The best 4 bowlers of the series were Cummins Broad Archer Hazlewood, comfortably.

Burns and Denly are also assured of spots as clearly the best 2 openers of the series.

Burns
Denly
Labus
Smith
Stokes
?
?
Cummins
Archer
Broad
Hazlewood
Wade's second century, even if it was in dead time with the match long gone, probably overcomes his inconsistency to grab a spot.
Then do you give the gloves to Bairstow or Butler? For me, Bairstow, goven Engld picked him for that role.
With Smith barred from leaadership, that leaves Stokes as the probable captain. That Denly makes this team is an indictment on Australian openers, and on English selectors picking Roy on white ball form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back