Discussion Finals Series 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
Note: Eddie thinks that because Collingwood beat Geelong they’re now the number 1 seed, but he tried that on last year after beating Richmond in the PF and the AFL were having none of it.

Used some analogy that in tennis if the number 32 seed beats the number 1 seed then they become the new number 1 seed, which is not really how it works.
It's totally different - last year WC d Pies first up - this year Pies d Cats.

He's actually using what happened last year.

As long as the Pies are in black shorts, who cares.
Why not list Cats first, but put Pies in black shorts. Looks better and both teams would be happy.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
It's totally different - last year WC d Pies first up - this year Pies d Cats.

He's actually using what happened last year.

As long as the Pies are in black shorts, who cares.
Why not list Cats first, but put Pies in black shorts. Looks better and both teams would be happy.

He thinks Pies are number one seed regardless of the result of the other PF though. So if its Richmond v Collingwood, he still thinks Collingwood should be the home team.

If its Geelong and Collingwood, then yeah a lot of us here think Collingwood should become the home team. But thats not the rule the AFL have gone by for the last three years.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
In my view, the current seedings should be:

Richmond
Collwood
Cats
GWS.

Seedings should be reset based on QF results, but the two QF winners still need to be seeded based on ladder position. If 4th beats 1st they shouldn't inherit the #1 seed.

I know all this makes sense so it probably doesn't work that way at AFL House.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
I wonder what the AFL would do if Collingwood finished higher than Richmond, and they played off in a Grand Final.

Eddie likes a traditional big 4 matchup, yet wouldn't concede the privilege of wearing the first-choice jumper.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I wonder what the AFL would do if Collingwood finished higher than Richmond, and they played off in a Grand Final.

Eddie likes a traditional big 4 matchup, yet wouldn't concede the privilege of wearing the first-choice jumper.
Richmond home with white shorts.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

Richmond
Collwood
Cats
GWS.

Seedings should be reset based on QF results, but the two QF winners still need to be seeded based on ladder position. If 4th beats 1st they shouldn't inherit the #1 seed.

This is it and surely that's how the AFL really looks at it. That's why Richmond is the nominal home team on Friday night.

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grand Final - IMO

RIC v COL

RIC v GWS

COL v GEE

GEE v GWS

Attachments

• 1568630657291.png
    1568630657291.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Opinion: each team should have a special AFL logo patch on the jumper (GF style) for all finals matches. It's a fair effort to make the eight, so adding something to make the jumpers more 'special' would be cool. Also helps in differentiating photos of matches as to whether they're from the H&A or Finals series

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory

Richmond
Collwood
Cats
GWS.

I agree, but:

0D3C94A1-49B0-40D1-9F4B-ED37F898A85C.png

So if last year's precedent is anything to go by, the matchups would be:

Geelong Cats vs Collingwood
Geelong Cats vs GWS GIANTS
Richmond vs Collingwood
Richmond vs GWS GIANTS

But if it's PF1 vs PF2, then it would be

Collingwood vs Geelong Cats
GWS GIANTS vs Geelong Cats
Collingwood vs Richmond
GWS GIANTS vs Richmond

I can see the AFL changing the 'who's first' rule on the run to ensure the jumper match up is appealing though (for example, if it's a Richmond vs Collingwood GF, they'll make sure it's R23 rankings, but if it's Geelong vs Collingwood, they might go with PF1 vs PF2 to make sure we wear white shorts)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
But if it's PF1 vs PF2, then it would be

Collingwood vs Geelong Cats
GWS GIANTS vs Geelong Cats
Collingwood vs Richmond
GWS GIANTS vs Richmond

I can see the AFL changing the 'who's first' rule on the run to ensure the jumper match up is appealing though (for example, if it's a Richmond vs Collingwood GF, they'll make sure it's R23 rankings, but if it's Geelong vs Collingwood, they might go with PF1 vs PF2 to make sure we wear white shorts)
That's what they did when it was going to be WB vs Sydney and WB came from the 1PF even though they finished 6th(?) and Sydney finished first.
Would have been interesting if GWS had got up over the dogs.

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Based on that from Keane last year year, I'd say the winner of RIC-GEE is automatically 'first named' then, and would arguably have their choice of jumper.

That said, surely the AFL would be keen to avoid the Week 1 disaster if it ends up being GEE-COL, and force Geelong into all navy (Pies all white) or Geelong all white (Pies all black).

This season, including finals for the first time since the 90s or early 00s, Geelong have been back in Blue shorts for all home games.

Prior to this, they have been wearing white shorts in most home games as well as all finals

Prior to that, they were in Blue shorts for home games except finals

This year's change is the result of old mate Hocking now working for the AFL.
Not quite sure about all these details being absolutely correct.

I agree in between 2015-2018, Geelong has been seemingly very happy to wear white shorts in home games where the other team features either a dark or blue in their kit (thus Geelong becomes the light team). This means Geelong has worn white shorts in home games except against Brisbane, Sydney and Gold Coast.

From 2012-2014, Geelong wore white shorts in some home games to prevent a clash, but often wore navy shorts in home games against Carlton, Essendon, St Kilda etc.

In 2011, Geelong wore white shorts ONLY in a home game against Collingwood, and then again in 'home' finals.

Also Geelong wore blue shorts against Sydney in a 2016 home final and in a 2005 away final.

Back