Game Day Richmond v Geelong, Preliminary Finals — Fri 20 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t wait for the game. Going to be a big challenge no doubt. If Geelong start like they did in the Semi Final Cats by 12.

Excuses? Your club perfected the concept.

Cats could only get a pathetic 51k to a semi final against last years Premiers, and they have tge temerity to accuse Richmond of denying them seats.

Round 12 v PF

In - Reiwoldt, Astbury, Lambert, Nankervis, Broad, Short and Bolton.

Out - Naish, Stack, Higgins, Garthwait, Butler, Townsend, McIntosh
Not to mention Cotchin was first up for 9 weeks, dominated the guts in the first, then tweaked his hammy again and missed 3 weeks. And Lynch was on a Zimmer frame. And the Cats were peaking for their June premiership tilt, whereas we deliberately built up through the year in our quest for the lesser September flag. That match is as relevant as a JLT game.

Thankfully, neither of you are playing!!

Good summary, you should be coaching Melbourne!
Actually, I’d like to add, Geelong need Guthrie to play another big game. If they can have one more midfielder that’s a handful then that’ll help them overcome Martin and Prestia who are clearly firing. Guthrie also to roll back to get some tackling pressure on their forwards.

Gary Rohan to replace Tom Hawkins and give Grimes a bath. Cam Guthrie to dominate Dusty in the middle while Tom Stewart makes the Richmond forward line his bitch again.
Gary Rohan..........lol
I normally thought you post reasonably well but this is a fools joke that needs to wait until April.

Not to mention Cotchin was first up for 9 weeks, dominated the guts in the first, then tweaked his hammy again and missed 3 weeks. And Lynch was on a Zimmer frame. And the Cats were peaking for their June premiership tilt, whereas we deliberately built up through the year in our quest for the lesser September flag. That match is as relevant as a JLT game.
And it was Naish's debut game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how do Geelong beat Richmond everyone wonders? Well it’s no surprise that Richmond are an elite side when rebounding and creating an impressive transition inside 50. Geelong could start by playing a defensive forward (Dahlhaus) on Nick Vlaustin who is averaging about 5 a game. Clearly Vlaustin is one mover that needs to be arrested to help Geelong prevent Richmond rolling away.

Bacher Houli is also ranked very high for uncontested possessions. What is he doing? Getting too much space? Reading the play all too well? If he can get that much of the ball clearly he is getting too dangerous, so whoever his direct opponent is probably needs to stay tighter to goal and keep him away from the flanks. I know it’s all about zoning these days, but it’s obvious he is linking up exceptionally.

Dion Prestia is also getting dangerous for Richmond. Lots of tackles, lots of contested touches. Between him and Martin the Cats have their work cut out. I think Geelong’s best bet is to not tag either but try and let Dangerfield get off the chain so Richmond have to worry about him. It may even be best to play Selwood as a defensive midfielder.

Hawkins absence will hurt Geelong, but Esava ranks high for contested marks so it’s a no brainer he plays close to goal. Stanley rucks all night.

In order for Geelong to win I think Rohan, Dahlhaus, Stewart and Stanley all need to be in the best. It might even be worth putting Taylor up forward to help Esava. Chris Scott will have to really strategically nut this one out.
Well that is what Brisbane thought last week. They locked down on both Vlaustin and Houli, who both played probably their worst game for the season. The problem was it left them without a man behind the ball, which is why Richmond was so easily able to counter attack (hence the 20 goals 4 - most goals were easy). Richmond are dangerous on the counter attack (no.1 in the league I think).

Yeah, rd12 happened! :shrug: You can take it to the bank that it wont happen again though. 😼 One thing our boys are very good at is learning from their mistakes.
Soooooo.....hope your boys are ready to bring it! Because it's gonna be a very different game on Friday night! 😉
Different game, but different result?.... I think you overestimate your teams chances. The Tigers weakness is centre bounce clearances, & Nankervis is hardly Nic Nat. No doubt in my mind we can get Kelly & Danger bursting out the front. This game will be close. 👍

Different game, but different result?.... I think you overestimate your teams chances. The Tigers weakness is centre bounce clearances, & Nankervis is hardly Nic Nat. No doubt in my mind we can get Kelly & Danger bursting out the front. This game will be close. 👍

FWIW I think it will be close also.

Danger to play FF?

Have you guys been dominating centre clearances? It is our biggest weakness but I thought you guys were in the same boat, albeit some time ago.

Well that is what Brisbane thought last week. They locked down on both Vlaustin and Houli, who both played probably their worst game for the season. The problem was it left them without a man behind the ball, which is why Richmond was so easily able to counter attack (hence the 20 goals 4 - most goals were easy). Richmond are dangerous on the counter attack (no.1 in the league I think).
Good post. Didn’t realise that. Geelong definitely need to stop the two you mentioned, but then have Selwood or Guthrie coming back to assist? It’s almost like you need to flood your forward line against Richmond to beat them through sheer weight of numbers.

In some ways I see this as similar to the Lions. One team likes to play a bit slower and control the ball. The Tigers like the run and surge. If you don't completely control the game the tigers will wear you down and then run over you. So the key for Geelong is to control contested ball and then careful accurate ball movement to take our weapons away. If the Tigers come with enough pressure and midfield grunt that won't work. Could be a fascinating game. But the Tigers form and style means that unless you are perfect we are very likely to win.

Chris Scott has come out and said that the tigers were better in 2018, than they are in 2019, he also said that the cats are better in 2019, than they were in 2018.

Guess that means that the cats will win easily on Friday night ?

Can't wait to pump some pussy, and take that stupid look off his face.

Chris Scott has come out and said that the tigers were better in 2018, than they are in 2019, he also said that the cats are better in 2019, than they were in 2018.

Guess that means that the cats will win easily on Friday night ?

Can't wait to pump some pussy, and take that stupid look off his face.
2018 Geelong finished 8th on 13-9
2018 Richmond finished 1st on 18-4

2019 Geelong 1st 16-6
2019 Richmond 3rd 16-6

Seems pretty simple to me? Full nuff mode

Back