Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe I'm writing this.........

Chris Masten is officially leaving WCE.

Would there be value in adding him on a 1 year deal? Would offer better depth than we have and an extra mature body would help the youngsters. Surely he's got something he could pass on to the kids?

*feel free to punch me in the face.
Bite your tongue, it's more relevant. It's not like we are discussing Gagff.

If we are going to lose Blakely i would take him, worried about the off field stuff. Apparently used to shoot hoops with Walters when he was a kid and Walters was just starting out, so maybe he can take SPP under his wing and get him to pull his head in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changing tact a little bit, I'm looking at a gameplan overall and expanding on what I said earlier

Assuming we wiff on Kelly, I think our gameplan should be, and probably is along the lines of
1) Bank 5 and 6
2) Get 3 2nd round picks through trading Langdon and trading in a future 2nd
3) Use those 2nd rounders to get another pick 12 or better and more draft point down the order. There would be a real good opportunity with Dogs but they may have to commit 12 in some way to the Saints for Bruce
4) Squeeze a little something extra out of the Hill trade
5) Trade in a cheap best 25 player from a top 8 team (Cedric Cox from Brissy for example)
6) Bring in another NGA as a cat b rookie

Net result along the lines of
Out: Hill, Langdon, Future 2nd
In: Stephens, Robertson, Rivers, Henry, C Cox, NGA x1 or 2

Looks like a big win but we already have two top 25 picks so its possible. Would hinge on what return we can get on three picks between 20 - 30 in this draft

5 no's, 2 3 qualified yes's, 1 curious, 1 outraged (justifiably), one flip flopper and 1 that swings the other way (2 really IP) and one who has had an epiphany.

Last edited:
The thing I think you are missing is that you pay a premium for higher picks and you have also picked the arbitrary line of top 25 (which will be out to 28+ after bidding anyway).

If it has to be top 25 because you don't rate the draft after then, that would make sense. Otherwise think we are much better off attaining 22+30 or something.

If there is a particularly enticing prospect still on the board after Henry's bid then sure we can live trade up.

mate your making inferences now from things I did not say...we leave it at that:thumbsu:

Changing tact a little bit, I'm looking at a gameplan overall and expanding on what I said earlier

Assuming we wiff on Kelly, I think our gameplan should be, and probably is along the lines of
1) Bank 5 and 6
3) Use those 2nd rounders to get another pick 12 or better and more draft point down the order. There would be a real good opportunity with Dogs but they may have to commit 12 in some way to the Saints for Bruce
5) Trade in a cheap best 25 player from a top 8 team (Cedric Cox from Brissy for example)

Looks like a big win but we already have two top 25 picks so its possible. Would hinge on what return we can get on three picks between 20 - 30 in this draft
Too serious:(

1) Bank 5 and 6

Be pretty happy with that draft :thumbsu: And better use of something from 2020 to get what we may want.

Alot of moving parts, but at the moment our list is third youngest.

We will losing Langdon, Hill and possibly Blakely, then bringing in 18 year olds.

We will be too young, do we bring in some experience to protect the kids?

Does the experience players just become list cloggers?

If youthfulness is a problem EF 75 I suggest they rookie me...become the oldest with the stroke of the pen.

Alot of moving parts, but at the moment our list is third youngest.

We will losing Langdon, Hill and possibly Blakely, then bringing in 18 year olds.

We will be too young, do we bring in some experience to protect the kids?

Does the experience players just become list cloggers?
Yeah that seems like way too many. Not sure there is anyone available that could help us even break even. Will depend on natural improvement within the list, which isn't always reliable.

1) Bank 5 and 6

I like the vibe of what you are saying.

1) Agree
2) Weak draft next year, teams won't their second round this for our 2020 second round.
3) Picks 3-20 get you about the same valued player and therefore, I can't see anybody wanting to trade out a top 20 for 2 second round picks.
4) Saints only have picks 5,55 and we might try to get Acres.
5) Totally agree, Cox would be a good get at a low price. I am friend of his grandfather who is a great person except he goes for the weagles. By the way, would have a NGA.
6) Agree, it's a free hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back