Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And looking and the table eastfreo75 put up, I love it how Brisbane are always banging on about what a young and inexperienced list they have.

Freo - 3rd youngest list; 5th least games played (skewed up by Mundy's 300+)
Brisbane - 7th youngest list; 9th least games played (that's 8 clubs with less experience than them)

Hawthorn need to do some slash and burn during this off-season. They have the oldest and most experienced list by games played (even with Shaun Burgoyne skewing both those numbers upwards), and still missed the finals.

Changing tact a little bit, I'm looking at a gameplan overall and expanding on what I said earlier

Assuming we wiff on Kelly, I think our gameplan should be, and probably is along the lines of
1) Bank 5 and 6
2) Get 3 2nd round picks through trading Langdon and trading in a future 2nd
3) Use those 2nd rounders to get another pick 12 or better and more draft point down the order. There would be a real good opportunity with Dogs but they may have to commit 12 in some way to the Saints for Bruce
4) Squeeze a little something extra out of the Hill trade
5) Trade in a cheap best 25 player from a top 8 team (Cedric Cox from Brissy for example)
6) Bring in another NGA as a cat b rookie

Net result along the lines of
Out: Hill, Langdon, Future 2nd
In: Stephens, Robertson, Rivers, Henry, C Cox, NGA x1 or 2

Looks like a big win but we already have two top 25 picks so its possible. Would hinge on what return we can get on three picks between 20 - 30 in this draft
Bell, Alcock and co won't potentially give up Hill, Lagdon and maybe Blakely and replace them with all draftees, not matter how talented they may appear to be.

Changing tact a little bit, I'm looking at a gameplan overall and expanding on what I said earlier

Assuming we wiff on Kelly, I think our gameplan should be, and probably is along the lines of
1) Bank 5 and 6
2) Get 3 2nd round picks through trading Langdon and trading in a future 2nd
3) Use those 2nd rounders to get another pick 12 or better and more draft point down the order. There would be a real good opportunity with Dogs but they may have to commit 12 in some way to the Saints for Bruce
4) Squeeze a little something extra out of the Hill trade
5) Trade in a cheap best 25 player from a top 8 team (Cedric Cox from Brissy for example)
6) Bring in another NGA as a cat b rookie

Net result along the lines of
Out: Hill, Langdon, Future 2nd
In: Stephens, Robertson, Rivers, Henry, C Cox, NGA x1 or 2

Looks like a big win but we already have two top 25 picks so its possible. Would hinge on what return we can get on three picks between 20 - 30 in this draft
List of best 25 in top 8 teams out of contract.

Lions
Cox
Robertson

Magpies
Elliott free agent

Cats
Kelly
Atkins

Giants
Tomlinson free agent

Tigers
Ellis free agent
Butler

Dogs
B Williams

And looking and the table @eastfreo75 put up, I love it how Brisbane are always banging on about what a young and inexperienced list they have.

Freo - 3rd youngest list; 5th least games played (skewed up by Mundy's 300+)
Brisbane - 7th youngest list; 9th least games played (that's 8 clubs with less experience than them)

Think that list is skewed because it takes into account some teams have delisted players or players have retired this offseason and others haven't (e.g. has Freo's senior list size at 35 and Brisbane's at 40)

I think the list for 2019 is more accurate for the current season.

Has Brisbane as the 2nd youngest list and the
4th least experienced.

Think that list is skewed because it takes into account some teams have delisted players or players have retired this offseason and others haven't (e.g. has Freo's senior list size at 35 and Brisbane's at 40)

4th least experienced.
You take out Hodge the outlier in the stats, and that reduces the games.

What more important is the best 25 games and age stats.

5 no's, 2 3 qualified yes's, 1 curious, 1 outraged (justifiably), one flip flopper and 1 that swings the other way (2 really IP) and one who has had an epiphany.
I'm a yes.
The 'sexual assault' was inappropriate touching on a nightclub dancefloor at 3am.

He's 21, and can play mid, bombing the ball to Lobb and Tabs, 2 yr deal, for a 3rd rounder.

4th least experienced.

I agree. Going into the season Brisbane had 12 players who hadn't played a game yet, with 20 who have played under 20 games.
Of those who had played under 20 games before the season started there were 60 games played this year, with 52 coming from 3 players.

Fremantle went into the season with 9 players who hadn't played a game yet with 19 players under 20 games.
Of those who played under 20 games before the season started there were 103 games played this year, with two players having played over 15 games.

Brisbane does have a very young list, but they aren't playing them. This is why their list management team are talking about adding depth this offseason. They are heavily reliant on their best 22 being available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Going into the season Brisbane had 12 players who hadn't played a game yet, with 20 who have played under 20 games.
Of those who had played under 20 games before the season started there were 60 games played this year, with 52 coming from 3 players.

Fremantle went into the season with 9 players who hadn't played a game yet with 19 players under 20 games.
Of those who played under 20 games before the season started there were 103 games played this year, with two players having played over 15 games.

Brisbane does have a very young list, but they aren't playing them. This is why their list management team are talking about adding depth this offseason. They are heavily reliant on their best 22 being available.

This x 100000000!!!! if you take the average age/experience of their best 22 players it's suddenly not looking too young!

Their best 22 this year was:

Luke Hodge - aged 35, 346 games
Stefan Martin - aged 32, 182 games
Mitch Robinson - aged 30, 191 games
Dayne Zorko - aged 30, 168 games
Daniel Rich - aged 29, 207 games
Allen Christensen - aged 28, 133 games
Jarryd Lyons - aged 27, 116 games
Lachie Neale - aged 26, 159 games
Marcus Adams - aged 26, 37 games
Linc McCarthy - aged 25, 53 games
Charlie Cameron - aged 25, 108 games
Oscar McInerney - aged 25, 37 games
Dan McStay - aged 24, 103 games
Darcy Gairdner - aged 23, 106 games
Harris Andrews - aged 22, 97 games
Eric Hipwood - aged 22, 75 games
Hugh McCluggage - aged 21, 63 games
Jarrod Berry - aged 21, 57 games
Alex Witherden - aged 21, 53 games
Noah Answerth - aged 20, 19 games
Cam Rayner - aged 19, 46 games
Zac Bailey - aged 19, 27 games

You could also add that some of their less experienced players have been in the AFL system a long time e.g. Adams, McCarthy, McInerney, etc.

This upcoming draft could be our Berry, McCluggage and Witherden draft imo... which is why it's so important we go to it!

Thats a very balanced list, very fu**ing experienced, but perfectly balanced.

I'm all for exploring the idea of Masten.
Think about it, we loose Hill Langdon and talks of Blackley, go to the draft pick up 3-4 kids. Then having him on the wing for a yr or two be handy.
Would Allow Cerra Brayshaw Valentie I think that's he's last name and others get experience.
Plus he can bring experience and knowledge for the young one's in training.

I'm all for exploring the idea of Masten.
Think about it, we loose Hill Langdon and talks of Blackley, go to the draft pick up 3-4 kids. Then having him on the wing for a yr or two be handy.
Would Allow Cerra Brayshaw Valentie I think that's he's last name and others get experience.
Plus he can bring experience and knowledge for the young one's in training.
Masten is a stop gap until the kids grow up.

Comes free and sign up for one year at a time.

Masten you say?

6e64c3c8f01a989981fa892c213f5207.gif

Masten can go and get f’ed.

We committed to this course of list management. If Freo were going to go out and commit to a mouth breather like Masten we should have kept guys like De Boer and Grey.

Next year is going to be so s**t.
Maybe, we made the wrong decision to cut De Boer.

I like the vibe of what you are saying.

1) Agree
2) Weak draft next year, teams won't their second round this for our 2020 second round.
3) Picks 3-20 get you about the same valued player and therefore, I can't see anybody wanting to trade out a top 20 for 2 second round picks.
4) Saints only have picks 5,55 and we might try to get Acres.
5) Totally agree, Cox would be a good get at a low price. I am friend of his grandfather who is a great person except he goes for the weagles. By the way, would have a NGA.
6) Agree, it's a free hit.

2) The draft appears to be weak because its diluted so much from NGAs/FSs, but there are definitely teams who will take our 2nd next year for one this year. Dogs are going to need points for next year for example.

3) Chris25 can correct me but from the draft boards, 3-20 is a bit of a stretch. I'd be pretty confident teams will significantly prefer 1 Kemp/Ash/Young to 2 Taylors for example. Bulldogs are another good one here (though they need to convince Saints to take some type of pick 20 deal). Trade with the Dogs could be 12, 42, 45 for 20, 25 and a future 2nd. If the Dogs dont want to give 12 straight for Bruce then I'd do that deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back