Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you see Georgiades going? Apparently Subi want to play him in the WAFL senior side but have been told not to. Obviously has missed a lot of footy but it seems he’s impressing the seasoned pros in the Subi WAFL team at training.

It's funny you talk about him. From SA so don't see much obviously but watched him as a bottom ager in the national champs and he was super impressive for mine. Has real power and pace and is a good size for a third forward/mid. Only seen him play forward but if he has an engine and progressed this year I think he could be a real player. Having said all of that like Knightmare said he is probably second half of the draft due to lack of top age production as much as anything.

Is he that quick though?

Isaac really breaks the lines in a big way. I haven't seen that from Stephens. He provides run and carry and is relatively quick but not like that?

Yeah he is really quick but has been injured this year and hasn't shown it as he should. He's a 2.96 20m tester I am pretty sure. Apart from playing a little sore he has been playing in the seniors for Norwood where I think he has been a bit reluctant to take the game on with run. Kids in the seniors over here sometime defer a lot which is natural and understandable. Saw him a couple of weeks ago against West Adelaide explode from 70 out with a bounce before running to 45 and finishing beautifully. He's a serious player who hasn't shown his best this year. But regularly getting is 20 times a game playing league footy over here is better than most people realise.

Is Stephens as good by foot? I've seen inconsistency and lack of hurt factor at times from Stephens. McCluggage at the same age/stage was already an exceptionally advanced kick who not only finished around goal but hit up i50 targets with ease and consistency.

I agree with you that he has been disappointing based on my expectations this year. However, when I think about the three years I have watched him I think he has a really nice kick. Not massive penetration (maybe around 50m) but he has a lovely touch kick and weight to his passes.

I think you meant to right there is no comparison. Other than a slightly stronger body there is nothing that Flanders has over Rozee. Rozee has the ability to be a Brownlow medal winning best player in the game type. Flanders no where near that. Very good AFL player is how I see Flanders but they simply aren't in the same class!

I'm not tipping Rozee to win the Brownlow. I tip him to become a multi-time All-Australian though. He's obviously exceptional.

Do you rate Rowell and Anderson? Flanders two weeks ago far outplayed both. Calling a guy who only two weeks ago far outplayed the projected top two selections not in the same conversation as anyone is premature. Flanders looks like Worpel with forward craft. Flanders can make an All-Australian team or two in his prime.

I'd take Rozee over Flanders given the sheer quality of Rozee's first season and how he's projecting, and having played at AFL level there is that far greater degree. But I'm not going to make premature conclusions.

Flanders is definitely stronger than Rozee but his forward craft is also better. Flanders is more dangerous than Rozee when isolated close to goal. Close to goal, Flanders and Anderson are inseparable in the most damaging forward of centre discussion in this pool. Up the field is where Rozee separates himself from Flanders with his run and work in the flow of the offence particularly on another level.

I'm not his dad but you are getting Dylan Stephens wrong. Absolute star in the making and in the modern game where running becomes more and more and more important he might break the 2km time trial at the combine. He's Issac Smith with more class and inside game.

Stephens is improving his position on my board with his SANFL play.

On what I've seen I can't give Stephens anywhere near that kind of credit, particularly with his U18 so mediocre. He's more Ben Johnson with an inside game from my viewings. And that's still really good.

If anyone has Stephens inside their 10, I wouldn't be mad at that. On my board I'm pondering anywhere 10-18 and he's trending up with his continued strong play, potentially as high as 10.

Hey KM I'd like to see the saints pick up a lockdown KPD to replace Nathan Brown in the long term. Are there any quality KPDs likely to be available late in the draft or as a rookie?

Hey KM I'd like to see the saints pick up a lockdown KPD to replace Nathan Brown in the long term. Are there any quality KPDs likely to be available late in the draft or as a rookie?

Saints have access through their NGA to Biggy Nyuon. I see him more as a Carlisle replacement at CHB more-so with his intercept marking special but I could see him playing deeper also and looking the goods as he's such a good athlete and has the height.

Beyond Biggy, I'm a Dyson Hilder fan. If there in the third round I like the value he would represent and he's one with scope to develop. And like Biggy, he has the balance where he can intercept, is a good user but then can also shutdown opposition key forward.

Question for draft gurus,

If the top 10 this year were in last years draft, where would you predict they would be picked given it was a 'super draft' (obviously excluding this years perfomance from the 2018 draft players)

Question for draft gurus,

If the top 10 this year were in last years draft, where would you predict they would be picked given it was a 'super draft' (obviously excluding this years perfomance from the 2018 draft players)

Walsh, Rowell, Lukosius, Anderson, Rankine, M.King, Rozee, B.King, Smith, Green, Blakey, Young, Serong, Thomas, Flanders, Kemp, Caldwell, Ash, Stephens, Quaynor, Hately, Jones, Clark, Gould

Last year's top end is the best I've ever seen, particularly through those first 7.

If I'm picking last year or even this year, my order is very different. This is just the direct answer to your question as to where this year's crop would roughly fit if in last year's draft. Jones I dropped, but that's because other than Adelaide I tend to think others may have been favoured by other clubs. And same with Thomas who I don't think would have gone as early as Blakey if these others are added into the order and Adelaide have better options to choose from. I didn't spend time going through club by club and list needs, so perhaps that is slightly out, but it should be close enough as general consensus club ratings.

Walsh, Rowell, Lukosius, Anderson, Rankine, M.King, Rozee, B.King, Smith, Green, Blakey, Young, Serong, Thomas, Flanders, Kemp, Caldwell, Ash, Stephens, Quaynor, Hately, Jones, Clark, Gould

Last year's top end is the best I've ever seen, particularly through those first 7.

If I'm picking last year or even this year, my order is very different. This is just the direct answer to your question as to where this year's crop would roughly fit if in last year's draft. Jones I dropped, but that's because other than Adelaide I tend to think others may have been favoured by other clubs. And same with Thomas who I don't think would have gone as early as Blakey if these others are added into the order and Adelaide have better options to choose from. I didn't spend time going through club by club and list needs, so perhaps that is slightly out, but it should be close enough as general consensus club ratings.

Thanks, That was an awesome post/reply!

Hey Knightmare if the crows do what everyone keeps suggesting they will and trade away a combination of players, future picks as well as split the blues 1st; resulting in them going in on draft day with something like picks 8, 10, 15, 20, 25

- Which SA kids could they reasonably hope to secure?

Is this realistic?
Pick 8 - Will Gould
Pick 10 - Dylan Stephens
Pick 15 - Cameron Taheny
Pick 20 - Will Day
Pick 25 - Harry Schoenberg

No suggesting of course that we'd be able to secure all (would love to but highly unlikely) but would those pick positions be around the mark?
I wonder if Fremantle will also have a home based draft bias this year. If we end up with Saints first, I think there is a possible pick exchange, your first 3 picks for our first 2. We could also consider further downgrading that pick 3.

End result almost guarantees you Stephens and Gould. Otherwise I see Stephens as a likely Fremantle draft target.

Fremantle out 5,6 in 3, 20, 25

Hey Knightmare, just curious if Mitch Maguire is any chance again this off season of being drafted. His NEAFL stats were excellent again this year and he's still a very good age.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Knightmare, just curious if Mitch Maguire is any chance again this off season of being drafted. His NEAFL stats were excellent again this year and he's still a very good age.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Had another really nice season and was stiff not to make the Team of the Year.

As you say, still a good age.

Not on the state combine list, so is unlikely to get picked.

What probably hurt him this year is a relative lack of scoreboard impact with just the 9 goals. As a sub 180cm mid, you really need to be effective forward of centre (Maguire has those capabilities) and hitting the scoreboard heavily to stand out.

Knightmare ..how good can Gould be..just how much is the bigger mature body ..and how much is him being a btter football that will translate. Seems a nice kick.. whats his stamina like .. is there a chance he could adapt to being a mid?

Not sure if you have done it yet but have you gone over the best VFL , wafl and sanfl options and where they will go in the draft ..in your espn blurb?
Guys like Riccardi and Partington recently have won medals ..one would think they get chances... and I believe Partington would be able to list with a side without going back to the draft as a delisted FA .?

Knightmare ..how good can Gould be..just how much is the bigger mature body ..and how much is him being a btter football that will translate. Seems a nice kick.. whats his stamina like .. is there a chance he could adapt to being a mid?

Not sure if you have done it yet but have you gone over the best VFL , wafl and sanfl options and where they will go in the draft ..in your espn blurb?
Guys like Riccardi and Partington recently have won medals ..one would think they get chances... and I believe Partington would be able to list with a side without going back to the draft as a delisted FA .?

I like Gould. He continues to get compared to Shannon Hurn. Endurance needs continued work, but playing in defence and taking the kickouts he hardly needs a 15+ beep.

Early November at this stage I plan to complete a best state leaguer piece. Riccardi and Partington are two you can wager I'll be talking about. It is a slightly thinning crop due to the mid-season draft, but there still is plenty left and there should still be a number taken.

The struggling Suns: Where it all went wrong, and how to fix it

Knightmare,
Something to add to the mix is often the need for those developing clubs to also have role players.
Looking at GWS and the addition of someone like DeBoer is super handy. He is willing to sacrifice his game to play a role.
Good teams need a select core group of role players and I think Suns seriously lack great role players with any talent.
Losing Lyons last year was just a head scratching moment in my eyes, an inside midfielder willing to play a role.

The Suns main issues are more off field than onfield.

Knightmare,
Something to add to the mix is often the need for those developing clubs to also have role players.
Looking at GWS and the addition of someone like DeBoer is super handy. He is willing to sacrifice his game to play a role.
Good teams need a select core group of role players and I think Suns seriously lack great role players with any talent.
Losing Lyons last year was just a head scratching moment in my eyes, an inside midfielder willing to play a role.

The Suns main issues are more off field than onfield.

The comment on role players is a good one. It's not realistic to have stars in every position on every line. If you have a position needing filling, if there is someone unwanted on another club's list and we're talking about a proven player, as with DeBoer, there is room for them.

Lyons in his two years with the Suns I considered to be their best player (with Lynch hurt and playing below expectation during that time). Aaron Hall I also loved the play of with Gold Coast. They're both players Gold Coast could very easily have retained but chose to move.

The Lyons decision seemed to be prompted by the sheer number of slow inside mids Gold Coast have. But I'd have kept and prioritised Lyons over all those others Gold Coast have. Letting go of Hall I considered just as bad of a decision, he was really good for Gold Coast but critically he has speed which not enough other Suns have.

As with where I went with the piece, I see the starting block being in getting veteran leaders. Joel Selwood, Trent Cotchin, Shannon Hurn, Scott Pendlebury. Gold Coast need one of those guys + another perennial leadership group type as until they do that, their youth and group more broadly is likely to continue to struggle developing into a team that can push to play finals footy, let alone contend. At the same time, absolutely load up on suitable role players if cheap/free to compliment existing established players.

hi knightmare who are the best wingman with speed in this draft and what is there draft range

If used there, Lachlan Ash. Ash probably fits 5-15.

Dylan Stephens is the other who has his fans and could land in a similar range.

Who's the most exciting highlights-reel player in the draft?

There are a number in the conversation. I'll nominate Brodie Kemp - as in the way Bont goes about it, it's so freakish seeing a guy at 192cm swoop over a ball and win it without breaking stride and burst away at such speed.

Rowell/Anderson/Gould/Ash/Flanders/Serong/Henry/Jackson/Stephens/Sharp also all exciting in their own ways and in that conversation.

hey knightmare, (in this draft) if you were splitting pick 2 what two picks would you demand in return for it and like wise for pick 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back