2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not an MCC member so correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the dress code restricts members abilities to fully show their colours.

Don't know but was speaking figuratively. Point was that there would have been a good share of neutrals in that day given MCC membership numbers

Yeah, I don't know about that

The 2015 final was their second final in Melbourne in 15 years. Last years qual final was against the "5th" member of the big 4 as Richmond were storming their way towards back to a=back premierships. The Giants game was a massive effort but it was the first home prelim in 3 decades. The other two finals were against Collingwood and Carlton. They haven't actually played a semi final this century (often lowest drawing coming when the home team is coming off a loss)

There is simply not near enough a sample size to suggest Richmond have some disproportionately higehr finals attending support than their regular season numbers

Nothing quite like a 5th Beatle

The saga had a huge impact in 2014. Hird was suspended for a year. We only had 3 crowds above 60K for the season (ANZAC day and Dreamtime) and 1 above 75K (ANZAC day). We had no idea whether a win would be marred by suspensions the following year. We were also kicked out of finals the year before.

If we played against North this year, we'd get 90K+.

Also, remember that Richmond were a game from top 4 with a percentage of 123.

We haven't hosted a final since 2002. Our percentage hasn't been above 108 since 2003 and above 112 since 2001.

Don’t get me wrong, you could be right. But that’s a hypothetical that can’t be backed up with fact at this stage.

This is coming from a poster that called out Richmond supporters for the same bullshit for like 13 years on here.

I was wrrr...ong

Last edited:
To be fair though, Richmond have drawn, what is, 90k plus to their last 8 finals? That in itself is unprecedented.

So in effect they were the first club to drive the 90k trend for Melbourne based finals
Oh yeah. Richmond have had an enormous run of crowds since they re-emerged in the finals. It came out of nowhere, really. Melbourne finals crowds have gone through the roof.

Ticketing Update:
Richmond v Geelong (None left for GA)
IMG_5622.jpg
Collingwood v GWS: (Top part of Ponsford for GA)
IMG_5623.jpg

I feel like finals crowds have gone through the roof since the introduction of the pre-finals bye in 2016, accompanied by the insane numbers Richmond pulled in 2017, meaning a new benchmark for the other big Victorian clubs to try and match. I’d be confident that Carlton and Essendon would pull 85k+ if they played the Giants this week, though anything 90k would seem unlikely.

Both would be within the inherent variation in crowds though. ie Neither a 1.5% drop or a 0.9% rise are big enough to indicate a trend or real change.

Maybe not over a single season, but since 2014 AFL H&A crowds are up 8.6% and NRL are down 4.8%.

That to me is a trend and a real change.

So that suggests they are holding off selling the back of the top of the ponsford for GA? But I could swear I was offered tickets under cat 6 when I tried this morning?
I wasn't 100% sure either way.
Someone said that one Twitter so I went with it.

The 2015 final was their second final in Melbourne in 15 years. Last years qual final was against the "5th" member of the big 4 as Richmond were storming their way towards back to a=back premierships. The Giants game was a massive effort but it was the first home prelim in 3 decades. The other two finals were against Collingwood and Carlton. They haven't actually played a semi final this century (often lowest drawing coming when the home team is coming off a loss)

There is simply not near enough a sample size to suggest Richmond have some disproportionately higehr finals attending support than their regular season numbers

Not enough sample size? Richmond has a run of 8 X 90K+ crowds in a row that's a systematic pattern right there for finals, and correct me if i wrong but it seems you're trying to downplay it by making assertions as to why we reached 90K+.

North on a Sunday 90K+ is insane against them. Even more insane was almost 95K against GWS, whether it was our first prelim in god knows how long is somewhat irrelevant the fact that we achieved that figure should be applauded.
Hawks on a Thursday night in absolute torrential rain still got 91.5K

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t get me wrong, you could be right. But that’s a hypothetical that can’t be backed up with fact at this stage.

This is coming from a poster that called out Richmond supporters for the same bulls**t for like 13 years on here.

I was wrrr...ong

Well said Hawkk

I am not sure there is a disparity between Richmond finals crowds and home and away crowds

Richmond has been number 1 fro home crowds since what 4 of the last 5 years?

Not an MCC member so correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the dress code restricts members abilities to fully show their colours.

I’m pretty sure in the MCC reserve you can wear whatever colours you like as long as you meet the usual dress standards (collared shirt/smart casual for the reserve and jacket and tie in the dining and long room).

Not enough sample size? Richmond has a run of 8 X 90K+ crowds in a row that's a systematic pattern right there for finals, and correct me if i wrong but it seems you're trying to downplay it by making assertions as to why we reached 90K+.

North on a Sunday 90K+ is insane against them. Even more insane was almost 95K against GWS, whether it was our first prelim in god knows how long is somewhat irrelevant the fact that we achieved that figure should be applauded.
Hawks on a Thursday night in absolute torrential rain still got 91.5K

2 is not enough of a sample size for anything really - it is not to say that they are not "insane" crowds. Remember Hawkk was suggesting that Richmond had disproportionately higher attendances in finals than in home and away.

As others have noted though the finals attendances have been "insane" across the board in Melbourne over the last 5 years

So excluding grand finals

-the average crowd between two vic clubs is 91,382
-the lowest crowd between two vic clubs is 87,533...and 4 of these have not involved a big 4 club

In regards to last year's Richmond vs Hawthorn QF, it was the first ever finals meeting between the two clubs. Plus, the Hawks snuck into 4th position on the back of winning their last 6 home and away games. So there was optimism from Hawthorn supporters heading into the finals, and as a result the Hawks were well represented in the crowds that night. Terrible rainy night too.

In regards to last year's Richmond vs Hawthorn QF, it was the first ever finals meeting between the two clubs. Plus, the Hawks snuck into 4th position on the back of winning their last 6 home and away games. So there was optimism from Hawthorn supporters heading into the finals, and as a result the Hawks were well represented in the crowds that night. Terrible rainy night too.

As I japed earlier, the Hawks are the 5th member of the big 4

Have a look at the Hawks finals crowds over that period, despite having a strong case for "finals fatigue".....(though I suspect their fans are more cashed up on average!)

You could really the Hawks fans too when they were playing good football on the night.

2 is not enough of a sample size for anything really - it is not to say that they are not "insane" crowds. Remember Hawkk was suggesting that Richmond had disproportionately higher attendances in finals than in home and away.

As others have noted though the finals attendances have been "insane" across the board in Melbourne over the last 5 years

View attachment 748192

So excluding grand finals

-the average crowd between two vic clubs is 91,382
-the lowest crowd between two vic clubs is 87,533...and 4 of these have not involved a big 4 club

Geez on those numbers the Cats v non Victorian clubs have really been dragging the finals attendances down

The less said about that night the better.

I remember getting dumped on by a ‘weather bomb’ in the line up for the gates to open. That’s when I knew we were in for a difficult night (although I’m pretty sure we led at quarter time)

As I japed earlier, the Hawks are the 5th member of the big 4

Have a look at the Hawks finals crowds over that period, despite having a strong case for "finals fatigue".....(though I suspect their fans are more cashed up on average!)

Extend out to 2014 and you also have 74,848 for the Hawthorn v Port Adelaide too

According to the official Richmond podcast, less than 100 single tickets and 1000 standing room left as of last night.

They also seemed to imply a 4:1 ratio of tickets sold in the Members Presale.
Think Richmond v Geelong will be 92-93K.

67,000 = Richmond
25,000 = Geelong

Projected wet weather might drag the number down by 2 or 3,000.

I'm interested to know how you find out the ratio of tickets sold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back