List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep bruce and members are both strong marking endurance beasts.

1 high up on each wing as marking targets suits our game plan beautifully as we don't have the run or skills to go through the corridor regularly.
So the plan from defence is to mostly kick to centrewing to either bruce or members.

From there we then target ryder/roma deep at FF (when resting as ruck) and king at chf.

That allows whichever of ryder or marshall is in the ruck to cover the centre square and drop back in defence.
Plus we will have A grade ruckmen in the ruck throughout the whole game.

This is the kind of talls setup we were going with into rnd1 with mccartin before he went down. (Ie 2 talls high on the wings and 2 talls deeper fwd)

After paddy went down, we didn't have any other quality talls to allow this structure- so we played the year too short up fwd.

King and ryder in (WHILE keeping bruce) will allow us to execute this structure very well.

It's not impossible, but it would need to be a hell of a good deal for us to trade bruce even with ryder and king in.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post but surely you don’t mean you want to play Marshall, Ryder, King, Bruce and Membrey in the same team?

That’s too tall. We’d get murdered out of our forward 50.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post but surely you don’t mean you want to play Marshall, Ryder, King, Bruce and Membrey in the same team?

Need to add Battle to that forward line particularly if Roberton plays next year which I’m told
is quite likely ..surprisingly.

Can actually see the thinking behind potential trade with Bruce buy low sell high.

Marshall rotating off bench with Ryder I like the look at short term.

Forward line Battle / Membrey / King very mobile ..

When King has a rest ...Marshall forward then back in ruck .

Would always have a tall player forward ...Marshall , King & Ryder whilst rotating with a real ruckman.

Need to add Battle to that forward line particularly if Roberton plays next year which I’m told

Can actually see the thinking behind potential trade with Bruce buy low sell high.

Would always have a tall player forward ...Marshall , King & Ryder whilst rotating with a real ruckman.

If Roberton returns then Battle can go where he is needed. Looks good down back but might be just as good up forward.

I think we can play two key forwards plus Membrey and two key defenders plus Wilkie. There’s enough height at both ends but anything more than that and we lose speed and pressure.

Too much faith being put in a zero game player coming off two major injuries for mine, and this is before we even know if he’s any good or not. If Bruce is let go for a second rounder we’ve lost the plot.

Roberton playing changes things quite a bit releasing battle forward, Ryder isn’t a lock so I’m holding fire on Bruce.

He’s a very big guy Bruce and actually likes to fly for his marks splitting a few packs into the bargain, can’t really expect to get that out of battle, membrey and king. It works with Ryder and Marshall imo but Ryder is a unique player we won’t find another guy who can play that role and if we do it will cost a lot more.

Is McEvoy contracted he could play that role maybe Stanley.

particularly if Roberton plays next year which I’m told

That would be amazing, but at odds with someone who recently posted that he looks very likely to retire.

I’m actually getting a bit tired of waiting to hear what’s happening with Stuv, Robbo and Paddy. I know that Stuv is potentially waiting for a deal with a team in the finals ( hopefully for not much longer) but it would be nice to know if he was definitely staying or going.

Likewise, the other two. I have a lot of empathy for Paddy, but he is taking a list spot - unless we rookie him so we can still be looking after his welfare.

The uncertainty surrounding these three makes me think that our hands are somewhat tied in terms of what we would like to do trade-wise.

That would be amazing, but at odds with someone who recently posted that he looks very likely to retire.

I’m actually getting a bit tired of waiting to hear what’s happening with Stuv, Robbo and Paddy. I know that Stuv is potentially waiting for a deal with a team in the finals ( hopefully for not much longer) but it would be nice to know if he was definitely staying or going.

Likewise, the other two. I have a lot of empathy for Paddy, but he is taking a list spot - unless we rookie him so we can still be looking after his welfare.

The uncertainty surrounding these three makes me think that our hands are somewhat tied in terms of what we would like to do trade-wise.

I got to be honest thought Roberton was done , but been told that Dr Stone has given him the all clear.

Was in magnificent shape .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footskill firsts…

Wilkie Austin Savage
Coffield Carlisle Roberton
Hill Hannebery Billings
Gresham Membrey Lonie
Parker King Battle

Marshall Clark Acres

Ross, Dunstan, Steele, White

Emg Ryder, Sinclair, Long, Geary, Bytel

And Austin is no full back either.

I don't really see the Battle /Roberton relationship.
IMO they can't/don't play similar roles.
Despite his height , Roberton plays small, and is not great at one on one defense. To me he competes more for a spot with Savage or Wilkie.
Yeah agreed. He really is the ideal player for that role. Elite kick, finds 20ish touches a game and improved his intercepting game to a very high level.

The question we need to ask with Bruce is what does the future look like for him at St Kilda? He comes out of contract at the end of next season, and if King comes on then he may find himself in the seconds. At that stage his value will be much less. That is the reason we'd be interested in trading him now. If we can get a first round pick for him then it's a no-brainer.

Or we can't get Ben because he stays at the GC. We have Max as a solo KPF and he develops slowly because he is isolated. We don't move the ball as quickly as GC and he won't get as good service with us as BK. 2MP is taking the deep forward/ drop it on his head role and Ben is more a rangy roaming CHF there.

I would be thinking we will be very exposed with out Bruce. Even just as insurance he's worth more to us that a proposed second round pick. We don't even have a back up ruck yet and will be going in next year with Alabakis who plays Ammos as our only depth ruck.

This has major * up written all over it. If Bruce has a huge 2020 he could be with more as well. Max will take some heat off him and stretch out defences.

I think the board is blurring lines over Bruce.

We haven’t said we don’t want him. Complete opposite by Ratten in fact.

The Bulldogs and the pies approached his management. Offered big contracts.

We have probably flagged he won’t get as big a contract with us next year and in comparison to his current deal which was a lot of money when he signed it.

So that leaves Bruce in a position of asking for a trade where an appropriate deal is possible and the buying clubs satisfying our needs. This is not us pushing him out.

We see Bruce as our best tall according to Ratten. Losing him would have a direct impact next year. But may prove beneficial the following year depending on a few metrics falling into line.

Ratten has no luck with list management selling off his forwards. I actually think it smacks of covering arses for trading away all this years picks and wanting draft and trade currency. Have a hole in one spot so make a hole somewhere else to fix it.

Yep all in the same team.

Only 2 of them inside fwd 50 though (resting ruck and king).

Bruce and membery on a centrewing each up the ground all day.
They cover halfback to halfforward between the arcs.
Endurance beasts running up and down the wings all day- providing leadup option coming out of defence, and turnover marking when the opposition are kicking out of our fwd line.

King and resting ruck providing fwd targets for bruce and members (and the smalls at their feet) to kick to at chf and FF.

And whichever of ryder or marshall is rucking covers the centre square and pushes back into defence.

It's not ideal having membery (our best setshot) up the ground, but his running power is equally a huge weapon we can use.
In the same way adelaide use tom lynch (and the tigers have used jack riewoldt) high up the ground as linkmen- i think we can use both membery and bruce to do this on both wings.

I got to be honest thought Roberton was done , but been told that Dr Stone has given him the all clear.

Was in magnificent shape .

We thought that before the start of the JLT this year. You'd want to have him as a nice surprise more than build list management around him.

Geary Brown Sav
Roberton Carlisle Wilkie

Long Battle Gresh
Membrey King Lonie

I agree that is our preferred backline but regardling that fwd line:

Who's our 2nd ruckman? Acres?

Like it or not, the club look likely to bring in a proper second ruckman like ryder who will need to be accounted for.
This means your suggested fwd setup wont fly I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back