What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
(At AFL level)
Worst game played by a single team : North in the Good Friday game this year.

Worst game ever seen : Hawthorn v Carlton around 2003 or 2004. It wasn't a blow out, or low scoring; just diabolically bad. Seriously, terribly bad. Maybe one player was AFL level on the day. We're talking early Peel Thunder (WAFL) bad here.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Saints v Swans game some years back. After a particular goal to the Swans, D. Cometti said "Sorry Saints fans, a goal is good for footy" or something like it. Two dour defensive teams out-defending each other.

I remember the game in 2002. IIR Daniel Wulf missed a golden chance to put the Saints in front late by hitting the post. It was commentated by Channel 10.

I weirdly remembered the following match St Kilda played (against Collingwood) and they were getting smashed and that was when Dennis made that comment.

Last edited:

LeGresham

Debutant
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good Friday last year. Roos Vs Saints. I considered jumping off the top deck at half time.
I'm with you. This is it. It was the lowest standard game of football I have ever seen played at all level. Those teams would have lost to VFL sides that day.
This game is the correct answer and any one who disagrees must have been lucky enough not to witness it

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
It’s interesting to me when I see the 2005 Grand Final nominated in threads like this.

If it were any other game other than a Grand Final I’d absolutely agree that it rightly should be regarded as a snorefest.

But even with Paul Roos clustering the crap out of the game and the low scoring, a Grand Final that close was riveting, especially in the last quarter. And especially as it was the first close Grand Final for a long time.

My nomination is Essendon vs Richmond in either 2002 or 2003, it was Matty Knights’ last game, a Friday night at the MCG and Essendon won by a point, 53-52 or something like that.

Absolutely horrendous game.

Also would have nominated my mob vs the Saints in 2010 but already been nominated, was also an awful match.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
There was also an Adelaide vs North game on a Friday night in 2004 (I think) at Football Park where both sides kicked 5 goals, Crows won it.

Very tough match to watch.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
It’s interesting to me when I see the 2005 Grand Final nominated in threads like this.

If it were any other game other than a Grand Final I’d absolutely agree that it rightly should be regarded as a snorefest.

But even with Paul Roos clustering the crap out of the game and the low scoring, a Grand Final that close was riveting, especially in the last quarter. And especially as it was the first close Grand Final for a long time.
This is the problem, it wasn't a home and away game, not a lead up final, it was the G.F, to sit through four quarters of absolute rubbish on the biggest day of the year, and there has been some other bad ones, but this one takes the cake. s**t. House.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
This is the problem, it wasn't a home and away game, not a lead up final, it was the G.F, to sit through four quarters of absolute rubbish on the biggest day of the year, and there has been some other bad ones, but this one takes the cake. s**t. House.

I agree with you, my point is more that, due to it being a Grand Final, it being close and going down to the last kick of the game made it exciting, even if the match itself was a clusterf**k.

If it was a Round 20 or whatever match I would have turned it off at half time and looked up the result later.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Syd swans v fitz at the scg
Fri night game
7000 people
92 or 93 I think
Late in the season I think they'd won about 2 or 3 games between them
As people were leaving after the game they were being refunded

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defabs

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Possibly Round 8 2000, Coll v Freo at Colonial Stadium

It was actually ironically in a year where the AFL mandated no teams could have less than 6 days break so the Anzac Day game the previous Tuesday meant there were two Monday night games played simultaneously in Round 8.

Pies had a great start to the year but were insipid that night against Freo near rock bottom.

Players were booed off, a frustrated fan pulled off a bucket seat and threw it down the aisle and on the field Leon Davis and Licuria miss from pretty much in the goal square.

ThSt loss started the rot for the remainder of the year.

Collingwood v Melbourne about 4-5 years ago. Just a terrible standard of football. Really bad.

I think this was the 2014 game when the scores were 8.14.62 to 3.11.29.

One of the Melb goals came in the first minute and then it was full on defence the whole game.

The 2002 game between Coll and St Kilda was similar. St K kicked a massive 3.10 in that game.

Grant Thomas also decided to play 100% defence in that game. They kicked the first goal and then kicked 2 quick ones at the beginning of the third quarter. Pies did the right thing for footy and broke thru their impenetrable defence and gave them a thrashing.

Terry Wallace must have been inspired by this performance in preparation for the Richmond Adelaide classic in 2006.

May 17, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs, Pacers
That pies dees game queens birthday a number of years ago?

I was there. Took our Canadian exchange student to his first game.

Spent the whole match apologising at how s**t it was. "It's not usually like this".

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
2010 Dogs vs Saints would be my nomination.

Absolutely dreadful game which was just Saints flooding back with Lake, Gilbee, Hargrave and Harbrow kicking it to each other like that Simpsons soccer episode.

Then to make it worse Saints kick 3 goals in a couple of minutes and we lose the game. Bad memories.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
IIRC 2014 wasn’t for the ages either, was a really wet night and at half time Brisbane had kicked only a behind in an eventual 80 point loss. From memory Rockliff had 45 touches for no actual influence on the game

I disagree. Sure the Lions were awful (in fact they didn’t even kick a behind in the first half - it was a rushed behind), but Freo were fabulous that night - especially the first half. It was an early sighting of the type of performance we started 2015 producing. Men vs Boys.

Compare that to 2012 where both teams looked like they’d handed out 36 guernseys to random strangers in the nearest park.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
This year would be Cats v dogs for 3Q both sides couldn't hit a barn door at Marvel Stadium, been some shockers of the years Stk v cats rd1 2011, North v cats in flooded Kardinia park, Port ade v Cats 1999 last rd just a handful

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's a heavy dose of personal circumstance in mine.

2003, I'm living in Launceston, when hosting AFL games was pretty new. So your options were 1) pay a s**t ton for a seat in a "grand"stand, 2) stand all day, or 3) get there super early and jag one of the seats on the fence that was in a general admission area.

I'd gone with number 3, getting there about 2 hours before the game. Then the forecast storm hit. I was sopping wet before the game even started, and then when it did start I sat there with the Bulldog supporter I'd gone with as the proceeded to kick 1 goal in the first quarter, none in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, and then 2 in the last quarter.

They got beat by over 10 goals having kicked 3 all day, and I came down with hypothermia.

Surely made worse by having the Dogs be a very high scoring team all year that - kicked high scores and had high scores kicked against them. We beat them 156 to 146 earlier in the year.

Yes the weather played a part but that's extremely unlucky to attend that game!

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't mind the occasional defensive win like the infamous Terry Wallace Tigers v Adelaide game.

That was incredibly intriguing. Adelaide came into the game top of the ladder with a percentage of 147%. Richmond were 11th with a percentage of 68%.

In an often undisciplined sport, there is something remarkable about a team nailing that discipline for 2 hours as the underdog and winning the game. Would watch again. Hope we see something similar soon - an out of the box game where the underdog sticks to their guns despite the obvious frustration etc.

A lot different to the regular cluster dour games, maybe windy/wet, where nothing different from the normal boring game happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back