2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Richmond v Geelong will be 92-93K.

67,000 = Richmond
25,000 = Geelong

Projected wet weather might drag the number down by 2 or 3,000.

I'm interested to know how you find out the ratio of tickets sold.
In the past the AFL have released them to the public. I imagine the clubs themselves are able to access the figures.

Eta: trying to guess overall ratio is a completelt pointless exersize. Geelong will have more than enough fans there to make noise when they win.

Collingwood vs GWS

Latest PAX figure was 65,400 at 8am.

The figure includes reserved seats for MCC, members/general public and AFL members. Doesn't include walk-ups in the MCC.

So at this stage, I'm estimating 75,000 (65,000 sold and 10,000 walk ups).

I reckon it is highly likely to get over 80K on those numbers

For Richmond's matches you wait for blaisee to provide his expert judgement ex post

You can laugh all you want champ , but it is good to see that what I have been saying for years is actually common knowledge now nomatter how deluded and in denial people want to be has to be accepted as a fact.

Richmond draw the biggest crowds in the AFL.

It might have something to do with the fact that we also have 20,000 more members than the next best team.

It is not rocket science but thanks for caring.

Preliminary Final weekend is in some respects the best footy weekend of the year. Two games so there's a better chance of one turning into a classic or at least an underdog victory, and usually big crowds full of average members without the corporates taking all the tickets.

Here are some ways of breaking down the biggest Preliminary Final crowds:

All time:

No surprises that the top ones all come from the late 60s-early 70s peak. There was a 13 year period between the GF 1960 and GF 1973 where the lowest MCG finals crowd was 82k. Part of that was a 32 game streak from 1965-1972 of never dropping below 90k.

AFL era:

The two Coll/Geel ones are ranked 7th and 10th overall, the only 2 in the top 10 not from the 60s or 70s.

Waverley Park:

Between 1975-1991 the PFs were exclusively played at Waverley Park. This list doubles as the list of biggest PFs anywhere but the MCG.

There was a last PF game there in 1995 due to the advent of the 2 PF system. From 1994-2003 the Prelims were played on the same day if held in different states and Fri/Sat if both in Vic. The exception was 1995 with a game at Waverley in the afternoon and at the MCG at night. I remember going from one ground to the other to watch 2 absolute thrashings in one day. Starting in 2004 they have always played 1 Friday night and 1 Sat.

Outside Vic:

The larger capacity Stadium Australia leads the way, although the Perth Stadium and Adelaide Oval crowds are ground records at virtually 100% capacity. The Syd/Bris PF was surprisingly (or not) beaten for the ground record by about 1k by the Syd/Coll game there a month earlier. You can see how much Sydney fans had come to hate the ground by the relatively poor PF crowd in 2012.

Interstate matchups:

Weird to think that after this weekend GWS could potentially occupy 2 of the top 3 spots on a list like this but there you go.

The AFL Members has started selling guest passes for both Prelims. However both are down to just the back few rows of 2 or 3 bays in the top deck and will hopefully sell out before game day.

For anyone doubting the boost that getting your first real chance of a flag after a prolonged drought gives to ticket sales ponder this: there are at least 20k less Richmond supporters who want to go to this week's PF than wanted to go in 2017.

The 2017 PF sold out IIRC on the first day of ticket sales with virtually none (< 2k) of those going to GWS fans. Two years later, the PF has not yet sold out after 2 and a half days (though probably will today) even though we've added at least 20k Geelong supporters buying tickets.

I'm pretty sure Richmond's overall popularity hasn't dropped in the meantime, but these figures show just how much extra excitement and momentum you gain when it's a new experience. Look at Melbourne's figures from last year and the Bulldogs the year before that. We saw it with the Collingwood prelim in 2002 against Adelaide as well.

The AFL Members has started selling guest passes for both Prelims. However both are down to just the back few rows of 2 or 3 bays in the top deck and will hopefully sell out before game day.

For anyone doubting the boost that getting your first real chance of a flag after a prolonged drought gives to ticket sales ponder this: there are at least 20k less Richmond supporters who want to go to this week's PF than wanted to go in 2017.

The 2017 PF sold out IIRC on the first day of ticket sales with virtually none (< 2k) of those going to GWS fans. Two years later, the PF has not yet sold out after 2 and a half days (though probably will today) even though we've added at least 20k Geelong supporters buying tickets.

I'm pretty sure Richmond's overall popularity hasn't dropped in the meantime, but these figures show just how much extra excitement and momentum you gain when it's a new experience. Look at Melbourne's figures from last year and the Bulldogs the year before that. We saw it with the Collingwood prelim in 2002 against Adelaide as well.

Speculation on our board is the AFL mucking around with the tiers may have effected this. A lot logged on more low priced tier tickets, and logged off when they saw how far back they were (compared to previous years)

Imo most will end up buying, but it may be a reason for hold outs delaying their purchase

Interesting point about delay in sell-out as the novelty of Richmond may have subsided.

I tried for a ticket to the GWS prelim in 2017. Couldn’t get a single seat 10 min after they went on sale.

I’m still a member and would like to attend. But given the frustration of waiting on Ticketec website a few years ago, I can’t be stuffed. Happy to watch it at home. I reckon there are others in my boat.

If there was a 150,000 seat stadium, I reckon they’d still sell out Richmond v Geelong final.

Looking at ticketek.
Richmond v Geelong they've opened up two bays in AFL members Q28 and Q27 only last 5 rows left in both bays and standing room tickets on sale.
Thinking 92k. Weather might effect this game.

Collingwood v GWS plenty of tickets. You can still get Rows A and B in Q1-10 in groups of 5.
Could push 80k this one but 77k for me

AFL did keep prices frozen but reduced the number of cheaper seats by half if not more. My Cat 4 seats last two years is now Cat 3.

Still cant work out how same view/seat in Ponsford Stand is more expensive than Southern.

You get to sit next to Catman?
GratefulSlowAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle-small.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting point about delay in sell-out as the novelty of Richmond may have subsided.

I tried for a ticket to the GWS prelim in 2017. Couldn’t get a single seat 10 min after they went on sale.

I’m still a member and would like to attend. But given the frustration of waiting on Ticketec website a few years ago, I can’t be stuffed. Happy to watch it at home. I reckon there are others in my boat.

Mate hope that hasn't dimmed your prospects for getting tickets for future finals. On Monday you would've had no issues getting a seat for the prelim on Friday plus even those who couldn't get on at the member presale 9am-1pm and instead went on at 2pm (public on sales) mentioned that good seats were still on offer. Now of course only 100 single seats remain and 1,000 standing room which come Friday all likely to be gone.

There is no evidence in any way that Richmonds popularity, or that the extra excitement or momentum has dropped

Membership is still trending higher
Richmond keep setting crowd records, Brisbane ve Richmond at the Gabba, and the game at the MCG

I am not sure why you can’t just state the obvious? Hawkk has admitted it, why can’t you ?

No one in the league draws a crowd like Richmond

2 is not enough of a sample size for anything really - it is not to say that they are not "insane" crowds. Remember Hawkk was suggesting that Richmond had disproportionately higher attendances in finals than in home and away.

As others have noted though the finals attendances have been "insane" across the board in Melbourne over the last 5 years

So excluding grand finals

-the average crowd between two vic clubs is 91,382
-the lowest crowd between two vic clubs is 87,533...and 4 of these have not involved a big 4 club

I think the point Hawkk made was our 90K+ crowds its been 8 in a row, sure other Melbourne finals have had big crowds ie: high 70's and high 80's but over 90K is something else on a consistent basis. Take away our 90K+ crowds and you're only left with about 3. Melb V Cats 2018 EF play that game on Thurs in place of rich v hawks in the pouring rain and that game to doesn't get over 90K. I could be wrong but i think that's what hawkk was alluding to Richmond driving the 90K+ crowds with not one under 90K over 8 finals and a much higher ratio compared to our home and away games.

There is no evidence in any way that Richmonds popularity, or that the extra excitement or momentum has dropped

Richmond keep setting crowd records, Brisbane ve Richmond at the Gabba, and the game at the MCG

I am not sure why you can’t just state the obvious? Hawkk has admitted it, why can’t you ?

Trying to imagine the level of insecurity needed to post that.

The evidence for the drop off in excitement is that tickets aren’t selling as well as for 2 years ago, despite increased membership and crowds during the intervening H & A seasons.

What’s the reason in your head for why Richmond supporters have bought so many less tickets this time around?

Asking this question isn’t a slight on Richmond, and I think the number of Richmond posters who've liked the post you've quoted and/or commented sensibly on it bears that out. I've been at pains to point out that the crowd is still going to be huge on Friday and that the 2017 PF is also a huge base point to measure from, but the fact remains that demand is a lot less this year.

Last edited:
Trying to imagine the level of insecurity needed to post that.

The evidence for the drop off in excitement is that tickets aren’t selling as well as for 2 years ago, despite increased membership and crowds during the intervening H & A seasons.

What’s the reason in your head for why Richmond supporters have bought so many less tickets this time around?

Asking this question isn’t a slight on Richmond, and I think the number of Richmond posters who've liked the post you've quoted and/or commented sensibly on it bears that out. I've been at pains to point out that the crowd is still going to be huge on Friday and that the 2017 PF is also a huge base point to measure from, but the fact remains that demand is a lot less this year.

You’re post is predictable

Patronizing and deluded

Let’s wait to see what the crowd is before you get too excited , but then again I Bet if it is above 90000 again and the pies crowd is 80,000 I am sure you will somehow reconcile in your mind that you were spot on .

It’s like you ignore the crowd numbers and the membership numbers and just draw your own conclusions on your feelings

It’s silly

Let’s wait to see what the crowd is before you get too excited , but then again I Bet if it is above 90000 again and the pies crowd is 80,000 I am sure you will somehow reconcile in your mind that you were spot on .

Given that my predictions, for what they’re worth, are for Friday night to be low 90s and Saturday to be about 80k or a tick over then yes, I would be spot on in that scenario. :think:

It’s like you ignore the crowd numbers

I honestly feel like this is the last thing I could ever be accused of.

And yet Richmond still cannot outdraw Collingwood during the home and away season!!!

E59FA6EE-EC1A-423C-BA44-76481349BCFC.jpeg

And they've just opened up more afl members bays (back few rows) to the public tor tomorrow

Fair enough. If we don’t fill up our section it should be thrown open to the public. As should the MCC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back