Free Agency Chris Masten [delisted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty insulting the way the media report that he'll look at Gold Coast like it is a last resort option and they'll take anyone who turns up at Metricon Stadium.

As a player I don't think he would make much difference. Positives are pretty durable, obviously AFL ready as he's played 12 seasons and is an elite runner. Negatives are that his decision making is iffy and he has Justin Koschitzke level awareness.

Beyond that he looks like a bit of a douche but has always been a popular player at WC and is a very professional trainer. Has trained down enough houses in pre-season to keep a medium sized builder in business. Would add some value to a young list in that regard. Also played in the 2015 and 2018 GFs so while he wasn't really a key member of the side he has been part of a successful team.

Given Gold Coast shuffled off Barlow, Rosa, Lyons I'm not sure Masten adds a heap more though.

Will he get a second chance at another club? He could be Hawthorn bound if Isaac Smith is traded.

In before Clarkson turns him into Henderson 2.0 and he makes the AA side.

It's pretty insulting the way the media report that he'll look at Gold Coast like it is a last resort option and they'll take anyone who turns up at Metricon Stadium.

As a player I don't think he would make much difference. Positives are pretty durable, obviously AFL ready as he's played 12 seasons and is an elite runner. Negatives are that his decision making is iffy and he has Justin Koschitzke level awareness.

Beyond that he looks like a bit of a douche but has always been a popular player at WC and is a very professional trainer. Has trained down enough houses in pre-season to keep a medium sized builder in business. Would add some value to a young list in that regard. Also played in the 2015 and 2018 GFs so while he wasn't really a key member of the side he has been part of a successful team.

Given Gold Coast shuffled off Barlow, Rosa, Lyons I'm not sure Masten adds a heap more though.

In before Clarkson turns him into Henderson 2.0 and he makes the AA side.

No that would be Hugh Greenwood. :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His wifes family lives in the Gold Coast. He will be living there next year whether Gold Coast pick him up or not. He is sounding out Gold Coast because that is where he will live irregardless. I expect they offer him a deal given the professionalism he can bring around training/diet along with leadership. He is well known as a key leader at the club and Gold Coast need that

we seem to be in the hunt to pick up everyone's scraps. chris masten, brandon ellis, george horlin-smith, jordan murdoch, corey ellis, aaron young, connor menadue, jack hombsch, what a team of ******* superstars! sign him up!
You know. Taking a bunch of AFL journeyman rather then talented young kids is a pathway to success!

I think Mastem is better then everyone else.in that list. I think Mastem has left for one last contract. He's durable and an ok wingman. Could Do better. Can't do worse for a free agent pick up for 2/3 years.

Surprised by the lack of interest.

Obviously he is no superstar, but he a is known AFL quality.

Good enough to play 17 matches for a strong WCE side this year (24 matches last year), is only 30 years old, fit and free to a good home.

Should get the ball 15-20 times a match running on his own on a wing and would surely provide plug a hole at a rebuilding side or provide cheap cover at a contender.

You know. Taking a bunch of AFL journeyman rather then talented young kids is a pathway to success!

I think Mastem is better then everyone else.in that list. I think Mastem has left for one last contract. He's durable and an ok wingman. Could Do better. Can't do worse for a free agent pick up for 2/3 years.
i agree, of those on the list i'd think masten would be the best get. i'm actually pretty keen to see if we go after him, hoping he'd be a good fit for our side, was just poking fun of our recruitment strategy, which albeit probably should have happened to this extent back in 2011. i left anthony miles off that list because he's been a solid pick up for us as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back