Opinion Unpopular opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand all of that and it’s not that I don’t want to acknowledge women’s achievements, or support women as role models across all of society or promote the idea that anybody and everybody deserves an amount of respect just by virtue of existence.
Im a single dad of an 11 yr old girl and I want her to grow up strong and to be able to use her confidence and at times I worry it isn’t a level playing field.
I try and teach her, you only belong when everyone is different, be yourself, do what your good at and Tigers are the best chuck out the rest.
None of that pertains to what annoys me about the idea of that statue.
My unpopular opinion is that although I get it that we as a society and community have to move forward at the pace of our slowest, to erect statues to remind the twits out there not to be twits, it’s not a celebration it’s a manufactured reminder of di.kheads who say stupid things.
What annoys me is that this has become a good idea as opposed to something celebrating women and their achievements.
And if it isn’t that, what is it?
Back slapping because we didn’t like it that the herald sun removed a photo? (1)

Also, the unveiling of it with the media and Tayla Harris there. The truth of the matter is it is only a painted fibreglass piece thats been put there to test public opinion for market research, so NAB can make an effective decision about their Brand and whether or not to commission the artist to move forward with the statue.
Which annoys me. (2)
(1) That element will always be part of the sub-context, but the way I see it is celebrating Tayla Harris refusing to be swept under the rug and standing up for herself and the broader implications of why there was a 'sweep under rug' attempt in the first place.

(2) That's fair, but at the same time this is a somewhat inevitable function of our society. If it helps make you feel better, there's no way that NAB will come to people's mind when thinking of the statue long-term, it's a short-term thing at best. I don't mind them getting some benefit by bringing this statue to life.

Ultimately, you can take a pessimistic view with this and it's legitimate to do so, but celebrating singular moments are never clear cut when considering the original context, because by becoming symbolic the moment somewhat detaches itself from the original context to stand for something bigger and more positive.

You don't post enough mate. Good to see you back.

Health’s not the best last few years mate, so I often call in and have a read but typing’s a whole other ball game.

I’m up and about for finals though.

I can’t shake this certainty that the boys need my phenomenal psychic ability to mozz absolutely everything Dangerfield touches...and everything he can’t touch because the ball is avoiding him.

I was in rare form in ‘17, the poor bastard didn’t have a one-touch possession all night, ran ‘round like a lost rookie as I kept driving the play out to whichever wing he wasn’t on.

This look of bewilderment on his face all night as he ran twice as far to get half as many possessions as usual and every kick and handball made mockery of his previous mastery of the game.

That was me, riding Paddy every step.

Or at least, it might have been. I’m not willing to take any chances.

I’m going back to the ‘17 routine, I’ve known all week I’ll have to go hammer and tongs at Paddy Bewilderment again, I feel like I can rise to the occasion.

And fire off the odd celebratory post all things going well. It’d be a relief to be able to back things off by half time.

Health’s not the best last few years mate, so I often call in and have a read but typing’s a whole other ball game.

I’m up and about for finals though.

I can’t shake this certainty that the boys need my phenomenal psychic ability to mozz absolutely everything Dangerfield touches...and everything he can’t touch because the ball is avoiding him.

I was in rare form in ‘17, the poor bastard didn’t have a one-touch possession all night, ran ‘round like a lost rookie as I kept driving the play out to whichever wing he wasn’t on.

This look of bewilderment on his face all night as he ran twice as far to get half as many possessions as usual and every kick and handball made mockery of his previous mastery of the game.

That was me, riding Paddy every step.

Or at least, it might have been. I’m not willing to take any chances.

I’m going back to the ‘17 routine, I’ve known all week I’ll have to go hammer and tongs at Paddy Bewilderment again, I feel like I can rise to the occasion.

And fire off the odd celebratory post all things going well. It’d be a relief to be able to back things off by half time.
Hope the health gets better mate.
I think we are all doing 2017. Except I won't be staying out at Spearmint Rhino until 6am grand final eve this time.
I don't think so anyway hehe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one over the age of 15 should wear a footy jumper to the game. Ffs wear a polo, scarf, hat, jacket. Anything. Just leave the jumpers to the players and the kids.

Bring it on spuds !

Kind of with you on the jumpers (they look shithouse on anyone that's more than eight stone) but let's look at your suggestions:

Polo: You're going to look like some kind of coaching box w***er - only you're not in the coaching box

Scarf: Only looks any good on a girl - anyone else is likely to look like Homer Simpson in the episode where he bids good day to everyone at Moe's and gets tangled in the ceiling fan

Hat: See scarf (but without the danger factor)

Jacket: The Launceston version of the polo

Last edited:
after watching the lids interview - think richmond should consider doing something for him if we make the GF. I suggest this in the unpopular opinion thread ‘cause lots of folk on here have suggested in other threads “fu him, he’s dead to me, blah, blah...”.

I liked the interview for rawness and perspective. Regardless of your opinion it seems obvious the guy bleed tigers and gave everything for a dozen years. commitment at a level few of us would appreciate. He was emotional about the tigers making the GF and winning the year after he left. For those bagging him about it, have you ever thought about being in his shoes? As in really thought about it? Overlay that with the tragedies per the interview ....Wow.

Anyway, at the risk of being unpopular my thoughts are a mention on the banner, or invite as guest and chair post match or other special mention. Of course these options need consideration. based on whether we get to the GF, if giants get to the GF, if we win or lose, if they win or lose. But i think something classy can be done even planning for the various outcomes.

He’s a club life member. Sacrificed much more than some on here know or will acknowledge. Do it tigers! Say thanks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

after watching the lids interview - think richmond should consider doing something for him if we make the GF. I suggest this in the unpopular opinion thread ‘cause lots of folk on here have suggested in other threads “fu him, he’s dead to me, blah, blah...”.

I liked the interview for rawness and perspective. Regardless of your opinion it seems obvious the guy bleed tigers and gave everything for a dozen years. commitment at a level few of us would appreciate. He was emotional about the tigers making the GF and winning the year after he left. For those bagging him about it, have you ever thought about being in his shoes? As in really thought about it? Overlay that with the tragedies per the interview ....Wow.

Anyway, at the risk of being unpopular my thoughts are a mention on the banner, or invite as guest and chair post match or other special mention. Of course these options need consideration. based on whether we get to the GF, if giants get to the GF, if we win or lose, if they win or lose. But i think something classy can be done even planning for the various outcomes.

He’s a club life member. Sacrificed much more than some on here know or will acknowledge. Do it tigers! Say thanks.

I’d be 100% behind some sort of gesture, but glad I’m not involved in deciding what would be appropriate.

Tough situation for all involved.

I don't mind the idea of thanking him for his service, he went through some s**t times with us and gave us things to smile about.

but under no circumstances should it be linked in to our finals series.

this is about us and the current group.

We can celebrate deledio after everything is done and dusted.

Kind of with you on the jumpers (they look s**thouse on anyone that's more than eight stone) but let's look at your suggestions:

Polo: You're going to look like some kind of coaching box w***er - only you're not in the coaching box

Scarf: Only looks any good on a girl - anyone else is likely to look like Homer Simpson in the episode where he bids good day to everyone at Moe's and gets tangled in the ceiling fan

Hat: See scarf (but without the danger factor)

Jacket: The Launceston version of the polo

I did say “anything”.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back