Preview P.F. vs. GWS (Sat 21/09 4:35pm MCG) In: Reid/Aish, Out: JDG/Levi. Teams #1523

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 goals down at quarter time last match v GWS but we won the inside 50 count convincingly for the game. So if we can improve our scoring opportunities from F50 entries we’ll be very hard to beat.
We play the G very well and I think GWS will struggle if we are courageous with our switches and run and spread.
I’ll back our defense against anyone. GWS are a good clearance team so if we can break even here and our forwards create and take their opportunities we’ll give the Giants massive headaches.
Go Pies!!!

The 22 this week pretty much indicates what next week’s team will look like should we progress.

De Goey ofcourse a lock if right to go.

Let’s assume we win and De Goey is right.

Who becomes the unlucky one?

Adams and Wills inclusions into the inside midfield this last 6-8 games has rectified what we had all identified as our one major weakness : losing the inside clearance work.

I’m glad that the coaches have remedied this. Kudos to them for also identifying this issue.

Adams and Wills are the coffee beans doing all the grinding work in the centre of the Magpie machine.

The rest of the midfield of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Treloar are cream on a lovely hot cappuccino that will hopefully scald the Giants on Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Adams and Wills inclusions into the inside midfield this last 6-8 games has rectified what we had all identified as our one major weakness : losing the inside clearance work.

I’m glad that the coaches have remedied this. Kudos to them for also identifying this issue.

Adams and Wills are the coffee beans doing all the grinding work in the centre of the Magpie machine.

The rest of the midfield of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Treloar are cream on a lovely hot cappuccino that will hopefully scald the Giants on Saturday!

Wills with his fierce inside work in particular just allows our guns to keep their spacing so when we get the footy we get some real drive from stoppages.

Just got back from walking the dog. I passed a magpie sitting in a tree. It stared at me calmly. Proud, resolute and ready to unleash hell.

Go get them boys, Grand Final 45 awaits.

You don’t know where Keeffe is playing at the moment.

Mummy isn’t a forwards a-hole anymore, i pointed out last time we played them that we wasted Roughead by playing him on Mummy when he rested there. Because the bloke can’t move, can hardly get to contests, and just genuinely sucks as a forward nowadays. Wasted our best defender on a spud.

I’d give Rough Cameron, and Moore Keeffe (if he plays there) and Moore can really exploit Keeffes lack of talent to peel off. Howe, Crisp, Maynard to handle Himmelberg, Finlayson and Mummy if he wants to spend time down there as a witches hat.
You are banging on about how dumb some posters are. Roughead on Cameron is lunacy. He doesn't have the pace or agility or perhaps the tank as well to keep up with Cameron. Howe or Moore has to go to Cameron. Roughead should take Finlayson.

Exactly. This man is having his ‘moment’ in footy. We haven’t lost a game he’s played this year.

Like the selections.
There are always going to be hard luck stories ala Sharenberg and Varcoe but on the flip side at least we have a couple of reinforcements ready to go should we need them.

It’s obvious our preferred setup forward is 2 talls so no surprises the Reid selection if fit. From all reports he has been looking good on the track and hasn’t put a foot wrong.

Was always going to be between Aish and Sharenberg for that last spot in defence. I was 50/50 on who was going to be selected but given Greenwood is more a runner, Aish seemed the logical choice.

Our backline has a good blend down there.
Roughead and Moore KPD posts.
Howe 3rd tall/ intercept.
Crisp/Maynard/Noble/Aish rebounding mid to small defenders.

Maynard and Crisp also have the ability to play taller if needed.

How I see us lining up:

B - Howe Roughead Aish
HB - Maynard Moore Crisp
C - Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF - WHE Mihochek Thomas
F - Elliott Reid Stephenson
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Mayne Wills Brown Noble

Moore/Roughead/Howe to Cameron/Himmelberg/Finlayson

All the best Reidy, hopefully you snag a few in your 150th. Well deserved.

Close to the best 22 we have had available (minus DeGoey and Langdon obviously).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just have to get through the first quarter and have it reasonably close and with no injuries. If we can be in front at half time I don't think GWS will have the gas in the tank to make a comeback and finish the match strong.

I still have my healthy outlook and am just enjoying supporting the team and being in finals, but geez if we can make another grand final I will be loving the build up next week!

I saw a magpie swooping a man in fluro orange with a whipper snipper yesterday. Made me unreasonably happy.
Which bit?
The magpie coming armed with a whipper snipper or the poor man being swooped?

I’m glad Reid is back. Especially with the Giants going so tall in their forward line.

Absolute worst case scenario is if the giants start like they did against us in round 18. We can always move Mihocek or Reid behind the ball, and not lose all forward structure.

We are fairly competent with the 1 tall.

You are banging on about how dumb some posters are. Roughead on Cameron is lunacy. He doesn't have the pace or agility or perhaps the tank as well to keep up with Cameron. Howe or Moore has to go to Cameron. Roughead should take Finlayson.
See, i thought the same. Until earlier in the year he played on I believe it was Franklin and did a fantastic job. Similar players. Based on that, i’d back him in. Definitely not ‘lunacy’ as you’re suggesting.

Wait Cameron is too athletic for Roughead but... he should go to Finlayson instead ? 😂 Finlayson is also a very athletic forward in a similar vein, you do realise that?

Either way, my point stands - our selected defence has the cattle to match up on GWS forwards

Last edited:
Cameron 196cm 94kg 72goals
Finlayson 196cm 91kg 37 goals
Himmelberg. 194cm 92kg 27 goals

and they've now added 200cm+ Keefe to play 2nd ruck-forward to replace Greene.

We've got Moore and Roughead for two of those players... but if you think Howe at 190cm 86 kg and Aish at 183cm are great matchups then on the likes of Himmelberg and Keefe... then the jokes on you.

Even more so because of the unnecessary arrogance and misguided sense of superiority to your post.
They have to get the ball first in the middle. And then they have to mark it.

We need to deny them those chances as much as possible and bring it to ground when it does go forward.

The 22 this week pretty much indicates what next week’s team will look like should we progress.

De Goey ofcourse a lock if right to go.

Let’s assume we win and De Goey is right.

Who becomes the unlucky one?
Yeah, let's not ******* do that, hey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back