Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
If Brisbane lose to GWS next week, they'll have basically mirrored Port Adelaide 2000 and 2001 over the last 2 seasons in all facets.

Going back to 2000 and 2001, the start of a couple of years of regular season dominance (but being only able to capture 1 flag) in it's early stages is starting to revive through Brisbane 2018 and 2019.

2000 - Port 7 wins finish 14th
2018 - Brisbane 5 wins finish 15th

2001 - Port 16 wins finish 3rd (Lost to Brisbane week 1, and fall by 3 points to Hawthorn to go out in straight sets) (Port won 8 out of their last 9 games to finish 3rd)
2019 - Brisbane 16 wins finish 2nd (Lost to Richmond week 1, and lose by 3 points to GWS) (Brisbane won 9 out of their last 10 games to finish 2nd)

* Update:
Matched basically 2 straight seasons game for game and finals finals now.

2002 - Port 18 wins finish 1st (Lost to Collingwood week 1 by 13pts after having 14 more inside 50's and not taking their chances. Beat Essendon week 2 by 24pts and lose the prelim to Brisbane by 56pts at the Gabba (the equivalent of losing to Richmond at the MCG currently).
2020 - Brisbane....

2003 - Port 18 wins finish 1st (Lost to Sydney week 1 by 12pts again having 7 more inside 50's and having a disastrous 2nd quarter conceeding 7 goals 1. Play Essendon week 2 and win comfortably by 39 points. Face Collingwood at the MCG and lose by 44pts never really being in the match in the 2nd half).
2021 - Brisbane....

2004 - Port 17 wins finish 1st (Beat Geelong by 55pts at home, crawl over the line in the prelim by 6pts to St Kilda and then comfortably win the GF by 40pts).
2022 - Brisbane....

Brisbane 2018 and 2019 very closely aligns with Port Adelaide 2000 and 2001.

However, they have the chance to actually take advantage of 4 years of exceptional regular season dominance and actually win more then 1 flag over the next 4 seasons.

Last edited:

Reckon there's more chance they crash and burn like Melbourne did this year then finish top 3 4 years in a row.

That port team was an absolutely incredible team.

Brisbane of that era was just a touch a better. Could of just as well been a port 3 peat.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The list port built that won all those games in 2001, was built from scratch in 1996. Several players were paid under the table to not go into the draft before port entered. They also had a really experienced coach build that list and develop the players

Brisbane don't have coaches, have loaded up on draft picks and welfare trades. With a soft draw.

No comparison.

Think harder
Keep reading he predicts out in straight sets this year but get a premiership in 3 years. It's irrelevant information anyway no team can be compared to any other. For my part I think you win this week anyway.

Keep reading he predicts out in straight sets this year but get a premiership in 3 years. It's irrelevant information anyway no team can be compared to any other. For my part I think you win this week anyway.
Mate I'm implying that Brisbane wins the premiership this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon there's more chance they crash and burn like Melbourne did this year then finish top 3 4 years in a row.

That port team was an absolutely incredible team.

Brisbane of that era was just a touch a better. Could of just as well been a port 3 peat.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah don't see them dropping that much, they're defensively more solid than Melbourne, although no one expected Melbourne to drop as much as they did. I predicted they'd finish about 4-5th, but far from flag favourite.

I do think Brisbane might actually fall a bit next year, and finish about 4-6. Partly teams figuring them out. But funnily enough even if they fell, perhaps due to a harder draw, but still developed a gamestyle more suited to finals, and to developed their players, it would be a good step going forward. Sometimes you have to seem to go backwards or go backwards to go forwards.

Still not out of it this season, but I can't see them getting past Richmond. I think 2021 or 2022 might be their year.

This is terrible. By the same logic you could argue:

Pies 2019 = Richmond 2017
Tigers 2019 = Geelong 2009
Tigers 2019 = Richmond 1980

Collingwood 2018 = 15 wins 3rd
Richmond 2016 = 8 wins 13th
(Nothing alike)

Richmond 2017 = 15 wins 3rd, Premiership
Collingwood 2019 = 15 wins, 4th ???

Richmond 2018 = 18 wins, 1st, lose prelim
Geelong 2008 = 21 wins, 1st, lose GF
(Nowhere near the same similarities as above)

Richmond 2019 = 16 wins, 3rd, ???
Geelong 2009 = 18 wins 2nd, Premier

Richmond 1979 = 9 wins, 8th (out of 12)
(Not alike one bit)

Richmond 1980 = 16 wins, 3rd, premiership

Read the post before making dumb comments.

it’s almost 2 exact years identically matching each other. Along with the end of season being almost identical to finish the year and then going out in straights. Yours are nothing alike even on the basic summary let alone going into detail and seeing similarities.

The fact yours don’t even match in summary and Richmond have to win the premiership before they get somewhat similar in just 1 year just shows the stupidity of the reply.

Collingwood 2018 = 15 wins 3rd
Richmond 2016 = 8 wins 13th
(Nothing alike)

Richmond 2017 = 15 wins 3rd, Premiership
Collingwood 2019 = 15 wins, 4th ???

Geelong 2008 = 21 wins, 1st, lose GF
(Nowhere near the same similarities as above)

Geelong 2009 = 18 wins 2nd, Premier

Richmond 1979 = 9 wins, 8th (out of 12)
(Not alike one bit)

Richmond 1980 = 16 wins, 3rd, premiership

Read the post before making dumb comments.

it’s almost 2 exact years identically matching each other. Along with the end of season being almost identical to finish the year and then going out in straights. Yours are nothing alike even on the basic summary let alone going into detail and seeing similarities.

The fact yours don’t even match in summary and Richmond have to win the premiership before they get somewhat similar in just 1 year just shows the stupidity of the reply.

Richmond 14/15 = made finals
Geelong 04/05 = made finals

Richmond 16 = missed finals, had club wide review and backed struggling coach in
Geelong 06 = missed finals, had club wide review and backed struggling coach in

Richmond 17 = Won premiership, dominant in the finals, brownlow medalist
Geelong 07 = Won premiership, dominant in the finals, brownlow medalist

Richmond 18 = Finish games clear on top of ladder, strong premiership favourites, unexpected loss
Geelong 08 = Finish games clear on top of ladder, strong premiership favourites, unexpected loss

See you can draw just as many irrelevant comparisons. Means nothing.

Anyone getting tired of the Team X = Team Y threads?
This post reminds me of a post in another thread from 2001 where the poster was upset at comparison posts

The year after he was still upset

Bet you you will be over it next year too!!

This post reminds me of a post in another thread from 2001 where the poster was upset at comparison posts

The year after he was still upset

Bet you you will be over it next year too!!
dont you start you crazy person.

Bastardization on big footy has been spread thought out here for many years.

you went on a year long tirade after the 2017 gf about non vic sides not winning the GF against vic sides without salary or draft concessions. one year later eagles beat collingwood in the GF and you shut up.

dont you start you crazy person.

Bastardization on big footy has been spread thought out here for many years.

you went on a year long tirade after the 2017 gf about non vic sides not winning the GF against vic sides without salary or draft concessions. one year later eagles beat collingwood in the GF and you shut up.
Took the eagles to do it...

Trailblazers

Admit it - secretly in your heart of hearts you wish you hadnt swapped.

Thats what all the angst is about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back