List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just see what plays out , but getting a ball winner in the midfield is what we want.
Surely having Keath , Ryder , King , Marshall , Carlisle with Hill , Crouch and Jones makes us far stronger than last year with only having Bruce as a loss.
Remember Steven hardly played and Hannebery might get a full year in with Webster ,Geary , Bytel and Austin ---- you have to be happy with that Gringo .

Steven hardly played and we finished 14th, we just got over the line in most of the matches won and got soundly beaten by quite a few including a rebuilding Sydney nearly doubling our score in the last round. Collingwood finished in the bottom 4 with much better midfields than we have even with those inclusions. We need to have all areas covered to be finals competitive not just some.

I can't see how we kick a winning score when we are one of the lowest scoring teams in the competition and we lose a guy who is a top 10 goal kicker in the league, our second highest scorer and the next best is Matty Parker on 16. We are relying on a heap of luck.

Probably the same people who said gaff was a seagull.

Or the disappointment of dreaming about Kelly and Coniglio and getting Kent instead brigade. Jones will be alright but there is fist pumping additions and Hill is nearly that but I doubt even the most optimistic do a happy dance when he nominates us.

Last edited:
Well not sure being in elite sports organisations under intense scrutiny is the best place for someone with health issues.

Maybe a year out

Pretty sure he’ll be at Geelong though so good luck to them

Just reading the Cats autopsy thread, someone mentioned they’d rather have Bruce.😳

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I can't see how we kick a winning score when we are one of the lowest scoring teams in the competition and we lose a guy who is a top 10 goal kicker in the league, our second highest scorer and the next best is Matty Parker on 16. We are relying on a heap of luck.
Since when are we losing Membrey? He's the only top 10 goal scorer on our list.

malevu

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2013
Animal Enclosure
AFL Club
St Kilda
Feel real sorry for the Cats...not.

Ablett, done. Selwood, nearly done. Taylor, nearly done. Kelly, gone. Dalhaus, average, Rohan, an injury time bomb. No wonder they're desperate for Stuv.

Yeah, we'll have Constable if they want to send him over too. I hope Danger doesn't ever get a real injury instead of his fake ones.

My heart bleeds for them and their smug arse coach.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
, .......according to this article below.....albeit published by our own propaganda machine but nonetheless possessing a degree of poignancy. It seems the loss of PLUGGER ..THE GREATEST GOAL SCORING machine ever...resulted in a three year build to our subsequent grand final appearance in 1997. This point has probably been made many times over i dont know ,,,but i cant help but think its about as good a point that can be made on the subject........BRUCE STEVEN GRESH AND WHOEVER ELSE...ALL OF THEM TOGETHER DONT ADD UP TO A PLUGGER and yet PLUGGER's departure arguably did set up the future......according to the article below.
TONY LOCKETT TO SYDNEY .....quoted FROM saints website oct 2014.
"It was a complicated trade that also involved Hawthorn. While Lockett was the only St Kilda departure, the Saints received picks five (used on Joel Smith) and 13 (Chris Hemley), Robert Neill from Sydney and Hawthorn pair Glenn Nugent and Josh Kitchen.
The Saints then moved a late pick to Fremantle, where it secured Darryl Wakelin – reuniting him with brother Shane who had made his debut the year before.
The Swans instantly improved with Lockett joining Paul Roos in the Harbour City, but the rebuild for the Saints was a quick one, culminating in a Grand Final appearance just three years later that featured Wakelin and Neill, while Smith only missed because of an horrendous knee injury.
Hemley, Nugent and Kitchen only made brief senior appearances but the trade served as a significant changing of the guard that launched a new era for the Saints."
I dont know if they were right , but when i began reading it i realised that things change but the song remains the same.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bruce is a top 20 pick. He'll bang in 50 goals a season no problem in a better side with cleaner skills. Steven, if taken as a player only, and not a human being with mental health issues, is also a top 20 pick player. His age and a year out make the pick what it is...and should be seen as such. Newnes is a pick in the mid 30's, he is durable and experienced, if not much else. Acres is also a pick in the 30's. Could be anything, true, but isn't...so his inconsistency detracts from his obvious potential. That's how I see it without any emotional attachment.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Not really. Everyone still carries on about Buddy getting the Hawks pick 19. His mega deal didn’t change the fact that he was band 1 & #19 was the best the Hawks could get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't that because they finished top? If they'd finished last they'd have got pick 2. Don't get your point .

Baker_for_PM

All Australian
Nov 18, 2008
In the memories of 1966
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't get the believed crisis losing Bruce would create, I've followed this club and footy in general long enough to know generally when an opportunity emerges such as the key forward someone usually steps up.
We lose Lockett Buckets and Heatley step up then some kid called Barry came along, he goes and a big unit with awesome hair arrives from the west, he retires unretires and retires again and Roo and Milney do the job. Bruce kicks a bag of 50 then Members and Gresh take over.
Who is to say if Bruce leaves maybe it helps King Battle or even Mayo step up.
My main concern when i heard about a possible Bruce trade was the experience and craft knowledge we would lose, but with the signing of Roughead and the work Brereton has been doing with King they have been since been eased.
e139517f63bde74f38d0d5bab433badf.jpg

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
If we get Brad Hill , Brad Crouch , Zac Jones and Keath we are top 4 and flag contenders.

Even Purple is jumping on the bandwagon. 🤭

St Kilda

If I had doubts a few months ago ...
then I don't now. Building very, very nicely.

Snailspace13

Club Legend
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Correct plus our midfield is poor
Dont totally agree with that.
Firstly,just on the Fwds, if Bruce leaves he is replaced by M.King.
I understand King hasnt played yet due to injury,but if he lives up to his Nickname we should not lose out in that area.
On the Midfield,if Hannebery(who is all class) plays a Full Season or even 90% of the games thats a bonus.
Hill will add bucket loads of Talent to the Team.
Bytel is very much an unknown talent at this stage missing a full season due to his back.
Jack by all reports was a Top 10 pick if not injured.
Our Midfield will not be poor in 2020 if they all stay Healthy.
Jones can be added to that list as well.While many on here say he is a terrible kick and dont want him.He reguarly gets the ball.
Marshall will also get to be even better in the Ruck than he was in 2019
Those additions will improve our Midfield big time.

Just reading the Cats autopsy thread, someone mentioned they’d rather have Bruce.😳

They need someone to replace hawk who's 31 and coming to the end but probably get a year or two out of him. Bruce would kick as many goals as Hawk with a good midfield in front of him. Bruce was only about 12 behind Kennedy with a midfield that couldn't hit him on the tit if they tried.

Bruce has to work up the field and ruck with us as well so possibly even do better. I think he'll embarrass a few when he gets to the dogs.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
They need someone to replace hawk who's 31 and coming to the end but probably get a year or two out of him. Bruce would kick as many goals as Hawk with a good midfield in front of him. Bruce was only about 12 behind Kennedy with a midfield that couldn't hit him on the tit if they tried.

Bruce has to work up the field and ruck with us as well so possibly even do better. I think he'll embarrass a few when he gets to the dogs.
Hawkins kicks nearly twice as many goals as Bruce, and it’s not just the delivery.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Isn't that because they finished top? If they'd finished last they'd have got pick 2. Don't get your point .

I must have misread your point... I thought you were saying they Newnes doesn’t get us a 2nd round pick because he’s ordinary... my point was that the ‘quality’ of the player is moot when compo is determined by contract length, size & the age of the player.

James Frawley would have been a better example than Bud.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Correct but isn’t the discussion around what’s best for Jack?

I’m just suggesting that going to Geelong is maybe not the best thing for him.

He doesn’t seem like the type motivated by the hype of afl.
I'm happy to leave the decision on what's best for Jack to Jack.

I must have misread your point... I thought you were saying they Newnes doesn’t get us a 2nd round pick because he’s ordinary... my point was that the ‘quality’ of the player is moot when compo is determined by contract length, size & the age of the player.

James Frawley would have been a better example than Bud.

James Frawley was a priority pick dressed up as a compensation pick imo.
( Oh, what the powers that be can do with a secret recipe of unaccountability.) 🤔

I don't get the believed crisis losing Bruce would create, I've followed this club and footy in general long enough to know generally when an opportunity emerges such as the key forward someone usually steps up.
We lose Lockett Buckets and Heatley step up then some kid called Barry came along, he goes and a big unit with awesome hair arrives from the west, he retires unretires and retires again and Roo and Milney do the job. Bruce kicks a bag of 50 then Members and Gresh take over.
Who is to say if Bruce leaves maybe it helps King Battle or even Mayo step up.
My main concern when i heard about a possible Bruce trade was the experience and craft knowledge we would lose, but with the signing of Roughead and the work Brereton has been doing with King they have been since been eased.
e139517f63bde74f38d0d5bab433badf.jpg

So we have sold of all our power forwards over the years and won all those premierships because of it. I forgot that. Mayo seriously that's just taking the piss, he's going to probably get a game this year but he's not even a certainty for that. Battle is a Gunston sized third tall not a KPF and King coming in would mean he has to come off 3 VFL games and a few TAC games since he was 17 and dominate more than Wayne Carey did in his first couple of years despite WC being the under 19s captain and a junior bull. Membrey will struggle to get space with two KPBs on him.

Anyway we will see who's right. I put us bottom 2 and possibly last with out Bruce and Steven. We only beat GC by a point each time we played and teams like Carlton, Melbourne and the Dogs should all improve. To me the only sides around our level left are GC, Sydney, Freo and North. It's not definite because if we get a dream run with injury and the fixture we could jump others with the opposite issues but that's relying on guys like Hanners to all of a sudden wind back the clock to 2016 and play 23 games and kids to make up a lot of the scoring. Also we are very light on in ruck stocks. If Ryder and Marshall go down we have Alabakis on his own who is literally playing ammos because he's not good enough for VFL yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back