Game Day Richmond v Geelong, Preliminary Finals — Fri 20 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
The Pies would have beaten Richmond tonight. Makes things interesting for next week.

Who seriously loses to the pies in a GF? Richmond would need to hang their head in shame.

I love the record - 15 win from 42 GFs. 44 if you count the draws. I want to see that % go under 30.

And if Tigers won, they get to 12 to equal Melbourne, and get one behind Hawthorn and keep up the race to the big 3 - Carlton & Essendon 16, Collingwood 15. Obviously Collingwood would finally take back the mantle as the greatest Australian Football club if they were to win in 2019. They lost that in 1995

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Was a great game, very tense. Geelong played very well in the first half and everything was going wrong for us.

Pretty happy that it was really a full team effort from us, so many guys I thought played well
As a lead up to the Grand Final reckon thats almost a perfect preliminary final preparation for Richmond.

Bit jittery early, tentative even and 3 goals behind half time. And then to steamroll thr opposition in the second half.

Not sure on injury front, but Tigers will be so much better for the run next week.

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind Sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia
Who seriously loses to the pies in a GF? Richmond would need to hang their head in shame.

I love the record - 15 win from 42 GFs. 44 if you count the draws. I want to see that % go under 30.

And if Tigers won, they get to 12 to equal Melbourne, and get one behind Hawthorn and keep up the race to the big 3 - Carlton & Essendon 16, Collingwood 15. Obviously Collingwood would finally take back the mantle as the greatest Australian Football club if they were to win in 2019. They lost that in 1995

Why 1995? They lost it in 1982.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
The Chris Scott & Joel Selwood leadership combination in finals:

2012 - 6th - .L
2013 - 2nd - L W L
2014 - 3rd -. L L
2015 - 10th
2016 - 2nd - W_. L
2017 - 2nd - L W L
2018 - 8th -. L
2019 - 1st - .L W L

4 wins, 11 losses. That's just over a 25% winning strike rate.

Geelong have had 5 (five) top 3 finishes in the past 7 years for a 0-4 W/L record in Prelim Finals
Misleading.
Most teams would have a similar or worse ratio i would think.
Only one team gets through any given year with 100% finals wins.
Get to the grand final and lose and you've only won 66% of finals that year!
Not many teams would have a record of 50+% finals winrate since 2012. Especially those teams who've featured often (such as geelong).
Yep misleading.

This finals series Eagles have a 50% winning record, Geelong has 33%.

Who had a better finals? Geelong obviously.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

Yeah I imagine there will be some boasting from Pies supporters if they equal Carlton and Essendon on 16. Most of their flags were before World War II, when the VFL was still an amatuer comp. Hard to believe despite featuring in all those GFs they've won just 2 grand finals in the past 60 years.

Wow. Imagine if Richmond had have copped trade restrictions for bringing in a big forward on big money after a premiership win.

Imagine if we did that after begging the AFL to let us slowly phase out COLA over a couple of years. Massive difference.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That 2nd half from Richmond and especially the 3rd quarter was the best football I've ever seen. It was like they had the ball on a string. Complete control of the game executing brilliance with the football, it was like watching Barcelona of 2010/11. Masterclass as well as the ability to just go bang and rise 2-3 levels. 21 down in a prelim at half time, not an easy task to overcome. Balls of steel and supreme mental strength. I believed they'd come back just like the West Coast Eagles of 2006 away to the Crows, and the Pies against the Hawks in 2011.

I'm a football purist. And what better Grand Final could we possibly get if the Pies do the deed today and take care of the Giants. I'll be attending footballing paradise and will get set for the biggest Granny in over 3 decades.

Love it.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
AB158DCF-8A17-4626-BEB4-A05AA8E651A8.jpeg

“I’m not angry mate, just disappointed.”

Courtesy of Neds.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Geelong culture sucks imo.
Sook of a coach
Their #1 player plays for frees and himself
Their 2nd best player wants out
Their GOAT is a sniper and wieiner as well
I wouldn’t be surprised if they fall dramatically next year

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Well done Tigers, too good.

Is it just me or does it feel like they are not playing at their best despite the two finals wins? Even in the second half tonight Geelong should of been put away.

I think they might have to lift against Collingwood, they are certainly capable of it so not a huge concern.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ablett's fear of penii, Dangers fear of Martin, and the Cats fear of GFs hurt them last night.
Sook of a coach

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
Top of the pile looking down
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
Bad luck Geelong, played well. Was worried at half time. Honestly, having the week off played a major role. Being at the game, Geelong run out of legs.
Now to say something crazy, Edwards is currently a better player than Dusty.

Not according to the gps trackers. Go and have a look at the stats, Geelong actually ran more and faster.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Imagine having a brownlow winning midfielder at your disposal and you plonk him in the forward line when the game is on the line,
Not to mention a more than capable tall that could have played on lynch as he was tearing apart the game.
You just don't understand football!!!!

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Well done Tigers, too good.

Is it just me or does it feel like they are not playing at their best despite the two finals wins? Even in the second half tonight Geelong should of been put away.

I think they might have to lift against Collingwood, they are certainly capable of it so not a huge concern.
Only played once in 3 weeks and took a while to blow out the cobwebs. Were also tentative early. Will be miles better next week.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
It still boggles the mind that teams (my own team included) see it fit to allow a player of Martin's calibre just run around loose in the forward line unchecked a lot of the time.

He has to be tagged. Tight. He will burn you if he is allowed any space, much less the miles of room he is currently being afforded.

Maynard wouldn't be a bad match up if the Pies win, but I think De Boer would be the best fit if GWS won today

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Sook of a coach

Pretty sure you meant to say that their #1 player wants out, based on last night

Mar 25, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Well the AFL got what they wanted. I hope fans of other medium to small sized clubs see the perils of going down the path of the AFL turning into a scripted entertainment product, a la the wrestling divas of WWE, the Bachelor, etc.., given that the head honchos have shown no qualms in interfering to get the guaranteed result they're after.

Last edited:
Back