Time to kill the Touched rule?

Kill the touched rule. A goal as long as it goes through the big sticks.

• Yes

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to basics. If the umpire hears it clearly, its called. If the umpire doesn't hear it, then it is considered not touched.

Leaving it up to grainy footage is a failure waiting to happen.

They need to completely scrap the ARC or goal review system and start again. Make it basic. They have a snicko for when it hits the post. Thats it. Everything else is umpires call. Put it back on them, its their job, I wonder how many are afraid of making the wrong call because the review might spot the smallest thing.

Nah. Get rid of the whole score review system until they develop one that they can use competently. There were fewer errors pre 2012 when it didn’t even exist.

The system picks up the touches, it’s the club supporting officials that are the problem

The system picks up the touches, it’s the club supporting officials that are the problem
Back to basics. If the umpire hears it clearly, its called. If the umpire doesn't hear it, then it is considered not touched.

Leaving it up to grainy footage is a failure waiting to happen.

They need to completely scrap the ARC or goal review system and start again. Make it basic. They have a snicko for when it hits the post. Thats it. Everything else is umpires call. Put it back on them, its their job, I wonder how many are afraid of making the wrong call because the review might spot the smallest thing.

the answer is no!!!!!!!
It strangely enough becomes a really important part of the game, the point posts and goal posts. If you start scrapping the touched bounce back out, you will end up with only GOAL POSTS. WHAT DOES THAT LOOK LIKE?????
This is perhaps one of those small tricky things that will kill off the reasoning behind our game and why we have two outside point posts, and two taller middle posts which are actually behind posts as well as goal posts. Our game has that distinction, only Rugby has a above or below and a kick after a try.

We have four posts side by side, for a reason= ITS AUSTRALIAN RULES!

Seriously the debacle they called the grand final last year, has really spoilt that whole season one of the worst we've ever had, I am usualyy going insanr waiting for footy season, now I am rather in a non belief state ?
Why? Well every time I read something about this stinking admin of McLachlan's I end up hearing of something else to change it , like no touch rule, or shorter half times, or corporate dogs , DOGS , wanting night-time Grand Finals, there goes the tradition , but the tradition has been getting stabbed in the back by the likes of that Hocking critter if thats his name with the rules and his bleeding new ideas.

SCRAP THE CAMERAS FOR GOALS FOREVER!!! LET THE BLOKES AND GIRLS NOW, THAT HAVE BEEN CALLING POINTS AND GOALS FOR OVER A HUNDRED YEARS.
Every person on BF has seen the cameras and the decision makers mess up , and call something that is not, when the human error is part of the game , scrap the score review , today .
Fancy being rather non-exited about the season coming, and my club looking like it could be OK this year.

But I am not, in fact I am thinking what angry unsatisfactory sort of crap are the rules committee and the umps going to pull out to change chances with things other than endeavour in the actual playing of footy , because that is what we have nowadays.

True.. two relos in Melbourne are finished, and unmembershipped, whatever that means, my other son and I, keep country membership, just hoping to get a seat when the Hawks come to Perth.

Every email I get from my club is someone trying to sell something to me online!???

People wonder why the seasons are becoming a big groan at the moment.
If the AFL keep this money-hungry crap and changes up, that'll be the end of me too.

That'll be two sports that have been in a horrid state of disrepute, like cricket and its cheats. Who now live the high life, even doing commercials fair dinkum when I read cricket or football something else annoys me, now some a**ehole wants to have points scored as goals. GO TO HELL!

I hope they just leave it alone for once . Gain some common sense.

VAR should be used literally for one thing, and thats IN CASE of tremendously bad umpire calls, i.e the Hawkins "goal" in the 09 Grand Final, the Austin Jones "point", or last year in one of the matches where the ball was touched clearly behind the goal line and the umpire called it touched (can't remember the game).

Review each goal while the umpires wave their flags. Eliminate this bullshit "immediate play on" rule after a behind.

Camera in post parallel to the goal line to nullify any errors due to wrong angles. But the AFL would no longer be able to fix matches if we had that

I think the technology would exist to have the goal posts, perhaps above 3m high, detect contact and turn red.

It would be like the bails in big bash, a total gimmick and tacky, but I expect after year one there would be a string of sensors added between the goals that could detect something passing between them and if that is triggered without a contact on the post, they turn green for the long reverse angle shots (as in TV) on the set shots up the ground.

Then they could put fireworks in the top to go off as well.

Pick the point that is far enough for you

Yes change the rule, but change it to a touch must deflect the path of the ball. Irrelevant brushes that change nothing don't count. Only review touched balls within 10m of the goalline, with cameras including one from directly above the goal line looking down.

VAR should be used literally for one thing, and thats IN CASE of tremendously bad umpire calls, i.e the Hawkins "goal" in the 09 Grand Final, the Austin Jones "point", or last year in one of the matches where the ball was touched clearly behind the goal line and the umpire called it touched (can't remember the game).

Review each goal while the umpires wave their flags. Eliminate this bullshit "immediate play on" rule after a behind.

No, leave it the way its meant to be , why are we even talking of making changes, leave the goals and points to umpires they've done it for 150 years, more!

Just leave the rules and the game alone.

Now I hear more about the illness s' relating to head injuries suffered later in life by sportspeople.

This is another thing at elite level that CAUSES TOO MUCH CHANGING.
The corporate bosses in sport want to make so much money. They don't want people turned off by rough football, (but footy is rough you know) especially parents , and some do worry.

If you are good enough, and game enough, to get to an AFL club even into the reserves, then you are aware of the long term dangers, aware also that they are not large in numbers either.

And for administrations to change the game so head high tackles are rubbed out, is fine as long as they don't go insane with fear of litigation?
That's the fear, the legal ramifications.

I believe that is the reason for the blatant attack on contact and contested football.

Stopping of contact, in Aussie rules in the way tiggy touchwood decisions by umpires has confused every reasonable and knowledgable football supporter.

As a player you would have to know the risks, there has to be a contract set up where everyone is protected, the player, of course, is the main thing, but also the clubs, so that there is a system in place where players sign a risk clause at the beginning. At the same time a club signs a guarantee to pay everything football related to the injury now or in 20 years.
So as they cannot be sued for millions. a situation like that is better than watering down a hard sport,

"NOT THE BIFF" I DON'T MEAN THAT, THOUGH SOME MAY THINK IT.
I mean real contests and contact, bumps and hip and shoulders, this arm touching rule from a little while back is the most stupid rule ever introduced but it didn't change anything head high, just created the free kick epidemic we suffer these days.

And Why???? Are Ruck duels nearly all ending up in 50% of them including centre bounces being free kicked, it is driving me mad.

But I suspect it will go on.

One thing I'll say, if the AFL take over boxing, they'll ban punching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they have gotten some seriously obvious decisions badly wrong.

Yes but that's human, and generally, they haven't made as many mistakes as the idiots on the robot camera, the worst part about the cameras is the general public, don't understand or see why things are called, and it's them that make the game you know they pay!
So for me, unless footballers are machines, leave the bleeding umpires to make decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. Get rid of the whole score review system until they develop one that they can use competently. There were fewer errors pre 2012 when it didn’t even exist.
I used to think this but before 2012, they never showed goal line vision, so there probably were heaps of errors that will never be known.

The problem with the 'touched' rule is that it also applies to marks in general play - if touched by another player, it can't be a mark. And yet we've all seen many clear examples where it's not paid - almost always in pack-mark situations.

If we continue reviewing touched decisions for goals, eventually we will start reviewing touched decisions for marks - 'Why not? The technology is there - let's use it!'.
Just wait for a full-forward to take a 'touched' mark in the goalsquare that bounces off another players hands, and then go on to kick the winning goal, and the push will start.

Our game should be judged by eye. I agree with goal-line cameras. Other reviews - no, the umpire's real-time, in play decision is what we should go on.

This is pretty stupid. So a 'big' error gets reviewed but a touched ball near the end of the GF doesn't just because it's not 'big' enough.

Kill pointposts too and let goal post hits go on if still inside oval and goals given if hits then go through
So you just want to turn it into Rugby Union. Bugger off and watch that if you love it so much. The point posts, goals only being given if the ball goes through without hitting posts, handball and hangers are what differentiates our game from the others. Oh and actually moving the ball.

On U27 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back