Game Day AFL Preliminary Final - Matchday Discussion GWS@Collingwood(MCG – 4:35PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicPark Bitter

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2016
Bottom of the Barrel
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Adelaide
sorry,
but this is unacceptable,
this was the unlosable prelim
Collingwood has consistently spruiked a narrative of being a "prominent player"in Australian Rules Football, but, FMD, the results of the last 60 years says other wise

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
And the only reason they got so far in for that my was because of the 3-4 putrid decisions mad in the 3rd qtr......no one is hiding the fact that we played poorly for 2qtrs but damn me, blatant fuken umpiring mistakes like that is so fuken frustrating 😖

We had some poor decisions, but we never should have been in that position going into the last quarter. Our field kicking, and willingness to pressure, particularly in the F50 was abysmal. Watching it live was just tear out your hair stuff. Too much left to too few for 75% of the match.

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None
He can't coach.. bamboozled.

In the course of his coaching career.. there's far too many disparities not only in the results.. but also in a 4 qrt game of football.

You can give me docos.. you can tell me how lovely a bloke you are.. you can show me your soft side.. all of that.. should never blind you from what we're here to do.. ******* coach ffs.. first and foremost be ******* good at that.. I'm a supporter of football.. I don't want to know about your life. I have no bloody interest.
Gimpy, football clubs are more than just sausage factories re.

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You'd think after the shattering GF loss last year that we'd want it more. Yet we played like crap in the first 3 quarters.
We carry too many guys who aren't any good.

Brown is awful, Noble is a SANFL player, Thomas cant find it, Mayne is a momentum killer, Mihocek has been found out recently, Hoskin-Elliott is weak & Reid is done.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
What s**ts me most was the weather being what did us in to a large extent, IMO. We unfortunately just don’t have a game suited to wet conditions. Agh well always next year when we cop our regular fistful of injuries and scrounge our way through...

I'm going to disagree with you there imo the weather is what masked our close game up to half time.

30 inside 50s by GWS yet only 17 points 2.5.17 at half time.

Given dryer conditions it's more likely they convert more of those opportunities and get a gap on us. People are kidding themselves that we have their measure after losing so badly all based off a depleted defense negletlcting the fact GWS had half a midfield out and still spanked us in there.

I was never confident about tonight largely because last time our mids were spanked comprehensively and that had nothing to do with Moore being out and Roughy concussed.

Our midfield even team overall is too vanilla imo too much focus on role players. Not to say you don't need a role player here or there but imo we have too many and too few who can create from little possessions.

I'm going to disagree with you there imo the weather is what masked our close game up to half time.

Given dryer conditions it's more likely they convert more of those opportunities and get a gap on us. People are kidding themselves that we have their measure after losing so badly all based off a depleted defense negletlcting the fact GWS had half a midfield out and still spanked us in there.

I was never confident about tonight largely because last time our mids were spanked comprehensively and that had nothing to do with Moore being out and Roughy concussed.

Our midfield even team overall is too vanilla imo too much focus on role players. Not to say you don't need a role player here or there but imo we have too many and too few who can create from little possessions.
We're about slick hands around the midfield contest. They're about strength and aggression. Wet weather didn't do us any favours. Still should have found a way though.

surfer1

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2006
coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
parramatta
He can't coach.. bamboozled.

In the course of his coaching career.. there's far too many disparities not only in the results.. but also in a 4 qrt game of football.

You can give me docos.. you can tell me how lovely a bloke you are.. you can show me your soft side.. all of that.. should never blind you from what we're here to do.. ******* coach ffs.. first and foremost be ******* good at that.. I'm a supporter of football.. I don't want to know about your life. I have no bloody interest.
Grow up

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

I don't think it really works like that.

Drier conditions means Howe/Moore intercept mark, then run the ball down down the ground with pin point kicks and quick handballs down to Reid or Elliot who are one out and can mark/goal. With a slippery ball we don't have that control and GWS locks the ball in their half after we turn over in the middle of the ground, hence the repeat inside 50's..

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
We carry too many guys who aren't any good.

Brown is awful, Noble is a SANFL player, Thomas cant find it, Mayne is a momentum killer, Mihocek has been found out recently, Hoskin-Elliott is weak & Reid is done.

I agree you can add wills too that to. We also lack genuine momentum swingers or consistant xfactor types across hbf, midfield and fp. The other 5hing is our fwd spine. Imo Cox is not good or consistent enough he imo almost fits a role player too.

A pacey big bodied penetrating accurate kicking hbf.

A Buckley or Danger or Martin style midfielder genuine game changer type. Someone who can swim against the grain and carry a team not sure how we can get this type without luck.

Xfactor roving style type creative small fwds example Leon Davis , Eddie Betts, Cyril Rioli, Daniel Rioli, Will Rioli, L. Bruce,

Then KPF imo we have one that could be a genuine star in Moore. But given that's been overlooked in favour of him being equally good in defense we need to draft not just 1 but 2 KPF who are genuine athletic prospects with fwd nouse.

I don't want to hear anything about how brave we were in the final quarter.

To many of the midfield group and forwards weren't hard enough in the wet for 3/4 quarters when the game was ultimately lost.

The defence battled hard all day once again and should be proud but as our season progressed and our scoring dried up you have to wonder if we sacrificed to much offensively ability for defensive capability in the end.
This is just about the best summary I’ve seen.

Mids well beaten: Treloar (22), Adams (20), Pendlebury (18), Sidebottom (16) says it all.

Brown, Thomas and Elliott only really got busy when the team was roaring. Mihocek, Reid and WHE may as well have not played.

If it wasn’t for Howe, Moore, Maynard and Crisp’s work down back then I fear what would’ve happened.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Gimpy, football clubs are more than just sausage factories re.

I think you're missing my point.

If you've got a bloke who can't perform his role.. what do you do? Do you keep him on cause he's a lovely bloke?

We got seriously outcoached today. In a prelim agst an interstate side who lost 2 of their best during the week.. and had their captain limping on 1 leg.. with his shoulder out of wack early.

Some things about the club I'd rather they keep in house.. maybe I'm not suited to this site.. a lot of it is just too much too take.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
What does everyone think of that Week off before finals?

Playing 1 game in a month, Collingwood and Richmond followed the same pattern.

Richmond didn't get moving until half time.

Collingwood started at 3/4 time.

Teams coming out cold, and jeopardizing games. Collingwood are easily the better team than GWS. That was displayed in the 4th today. If this game was replayed tomorrow, Collingwood would probably beat them by 10 goals. It was just that horrible cold start that destroyed the game. They came out flat disinterested. GWS were pumped after that game last week. They tired out at the end, but had Collingwood shown that intensity and willingness to hunt the ball for the first 3/4's, we win by 5 - 10 goals in the wet.

No doubt they will be l.icking each others asses tonight in the new found love which has infiltrated the joint. Year after year of this fkin crap.

Any chance one of the "suoerstar" mids could get a hard ball and stem.the flow before 3qtr time?

Pendlebury as a captain is a myth. Grundy sh1t himself against Mumford...again.

Its not the role players who lost this.
Criticising Pendlebury for not smashing in and winning enough hard balls is like criticising Shane Warne for not bowling fast enough.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another question I have.. The Mayne goal that was overturned.

Was anyone at the game behind the goals that had a good view? The goal umpire called it a goal. The commentator said.. is it touched over the line? Maybe it was touched by the arm, but was the arm over the line? or before? The camera angle didn't show it, it was a front on view. Surely that was umpires call? no fingers bending back, how do they know it touched the arm? and how do they know it was before the line? Was there an angle I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back